Signature Edition question

Stohr1984

Im about to purchase another SE and i dont no which one too get. Im lloking for one that shows JW's orchestration at his best or basically the best SE in your opinion and ill look into it. thanks guys

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get Adventures on Earth yet? Thats a given.

of course i got that one! i've got Harry Potter SS, Battle of the Heroes, Flight to Neverland, Star Wars, and Viktor's Tale,

I think you should get either The Cowboys Overture, Close Encounters, The Lost World, or one of the other Harry Potter suites.

i was thinking about the cowboy overture. is its filled with good orchestration?

I think you should get either The Cowboys Overture, Close Encounters, The Lost World, or one of the other Harry Potter suites.

i was thinking about the cowboy overture. is its filled with good orchestration?

Hell, yes! It's an absolute symphonic delight, with Williams at his Copland-ish best.

I need to buy a copy of Adventures on Earth...

EVERYONE should have a copy of Adventures on Earth!

I agree witht he suggestions above, The Cowboys is really a lot of fun, and yes, has great orchestration. However, I'd go with Close Encounters, its got some unique stuff going on in it that I really enjoy.

well i ordered The Cowboys Overture because its a great piece and because i have the full recording of it. i like to see how he orchestrates and creates his effects and i havn't found a recording that corresponds with the CE3K SE. But thank alot guys

If you want to study orchestrations then apart from CE3K I would also suggest JFK and Lost World. In the JFK score you get JW's cue for the Motorcade, and there's some interesting use of instruments in that. Also you get the Arlington cue which, apart from the horn solo in the intro, is basically a work for strings. Because the cue is just strings you get to see JW use all of his trademark effects for the strings: the spacing of the voices, phrasings, groupings, effects etc. The way he uses the strings in this cue is representative of his string writing for neary every string cue he's done.

i havn't found a recording that corresponds with the CE3K SE

There are recordings around: JW recorded this version with the Boston Pops. It'll be on the "Out of this World" CD (re-released as "The Best of Space Music") and "By Request" CDs - both on Phillips classical label. The Naxos label did a re-issue. Silva Screen did some re-recordings but I don't think they were of the complete suite. I'm a bit hazy on the details so please correct me someone. Cheers