Does anyone here dislike or hate Hedwig's Theme

JoeinAR

I wondered about this, as it is easily the most recognized film music of the 21st century.

That doesn't mean its good or you have to like it, and I figure there are some here who don't.

If you dare identify yourself.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I, even if it's not that original. Easily one of the top Williams themes of the last ten years.

I actually am enjoying it even more these days. Perfect, brilliant theme. No other composer would've created something so magical, versatile, and long-legged for the series. As classic as the vintage Williams' themes of yore!

Ray Barnsbury

It's brilliant. It's always stunning to see how Williams with simple elements can create something original. What at first sight seems to be a simplistic tune turns out to be a harmonically inventive and emotionally gripping melody. So I'm sorry, nothing wrong with it ;)

I don't listen to the concert suite very much these days (though that'll change soon as I'm listening to more JW) but as far as the theme goes, yes, I think it's a great theme. Infinitely hummable ;)

I like it, but I don't love it. As I do the Raiders March or Journey To The Island.

it is easily the most recognized film music of the 21st century.

Is it really though? LOTR has some stuff in it that is just as recognisible, the Fellowship Fanfare for instance.

I really like it a lot, but I don't get this thread. How can you hate a theme? If you don't like it, you can always ignore it. And even if I hated it, I wouldn't state here no matter who asked.

I like it.

I wondered about this, as it is easily the most recognized film music of the 21st century.

I doubt this, though; Harry Potter fans will surely know it, but it is certainly not as well-known as the main themes from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond, E.T., ...-- and even them won't get 100% recognition.

I doubt this, though; Harry Potter fans will surely know it, but it is certainly not as well-known as the main themes from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond, E.T., ...-- and even them won't get 100% recognition.

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond and E.T. are all from the 20th century.

Neil

You know...to listen to something and then dismiss it is one thing.

To not listen at all and vow to never listen to it, makes one uncultured.

Oookay if you say so.

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond and E.T. are all from the 20th century.

Neil

Duh!

Of course they are; I meant to give examples of themes that are truly (almost) universal, which I don't think "Hedwig's Theme" is; it may still become so, but I don't think it is.

For the 21st century so far, I don't what theme might come close to those few examples I gave.

I find it a strangely difficult piece to connect to or even get worked up over,...

I'm with Drax, here. As hard as I try, I can't get into it. I guess I even like the shorter promo edit better.

Uh-huh... ......right.

People should know by now that I'm pretty picky when it comes to film scores. If I say that I am not gonna listen to something then I won't. It shouldn't matter to others if I don't. Just because I say I won't doesn't mean I'm "uncultured" as you put it.

Hedwig's theme doesn't do much for me. I always felt Tink's theme would have made the perfect theme for HP if it wasn't already used for Hook.

Uh-huh... ......right.

People should know by now that I'm pretty picky when it comes to film scores. If I say that I am not gonna listen to something then I won't. It shouldn't matter to others if I don't. Just because I say I won't doesn't mean I'm "uncultured" as you put it.

Why post in a thread about liking or disliking a piece of music if you haven't heard it, though? It's just irrelevant.

Uh-huh... ......right.

You're being something, but I'm not sure what it is. It certainly isn't "picky". I think what's alarming people here (certainly me) is that you seem to be boasting about your ignorance. You don't have to like the movies or even know anything about them to appreciate the music.

Neil

In the first film, it suffers from too much similar repetition in the first half. But then again it would probably not be so famous if it were not so. I like the concert version, and the second half of the score the most from the first score. The theme itself is great, but used a little too much at first for me.

If you dare identify yourself.

I've identified myself... so what do you plan to do now that I've challenged your "dare". :)

all you said is you don't listen to it, you've not identified yourself as one who dislikes it, or hates it, just one completely closed minded to it.

Uh-huh... ......right.

I don't think anyone particularly worries about what you like or don't like, but I'd imagine a fair amount of people can feel their mind being boggled by the totally senseless position you take. No offense intended but that isn't being picky, it's just being narrow minded, and not only that but being proud of it? I can't begin to undestand that. It makes no sense to form an opinion on something without at least having a basic knowledge of the subject first. Now seriously, Hedwig's Theme is 5 minutes long... Would it really hurt you all that much to lend it 5 minutes of your time, give it a listen, and then form your opinion? At least then you'd be saying something that people could respect, whether they agreed with you or not.

Hey if it means that I'm being "narrow minded" then so be it, I honestly don't care. I choose what I want to listen to just as much as anyone else. If you all want to hate (or dislike, whatever the term you want to use) me because I won't give the Potter scores a chance I really don't care, that is your problem not mine.

By the way you don't see me dog piling on others because of what they like to or don't like to listen to, now do you? No I don't think so.

no but it makes no sense for you to interject yourself into this discussion without the basic knowledge of the subject, to answer the specified question. You've opened yourself to criticism, you even asked for it, so please don't whine when it is given.

No one is dogpiling you, but you did make a choice, and now you are bearing the fruits of that choice.

Hey if it means that I'm being "narrow minded" then so be it, I honestly don't care. I choose what I want to listen to just as much as anyone else. If you all want to hate (or dislike, whatever the term you want to use) me because I won't give the Potter scores a chance I really don't care, that is your problem not mine.

By the way you don't see me dog piling on others because of what they like to or don't like to listen to, now do you? No I don't think so.

There's no dog piling going on, no need to be so defensive. Nobody is saying they hate you for your position... But you have to admit, coming into a thread that you say you have no interest in, just so you can tell people you have no interest in it really doesn't make much sense. It would be like me going to an art exhibition and telling random people that I have no interest in the stuff that they've come to see; all in all, a waste of everyone's time, and mine especially. So what's the point?

no but it makes no sense for you to interject yourself into this discussion without the basic knowledge of the subject. You've opened yourself to criticism, you even asked for it, so please don't whine when it is given.

No one is dogpiling you, but you did make a choice, and now you are bearing the fruits of that choice.

Initially my original post was totally meant as sarcasm, guess you guys didn't catch that part...well then again it's hard to convey feelings in writing.

By the way Joe, I'm not whining in the least bit, I'm just making a statement.

Also the "A Pain In Everyone's Ass" deal under my picture is something I happen to be you all should know that by now...hence why I put it. Okay I better shut up before I dig myself a bigger grave...

fair enough, but it still makes no sense to be a John Williams fan, and not to listen to one of his greatest themes of the last 2 decades. somehow I do suspect you have heard it, but are just having fun being contrary

In all honesty Joe, yes I have actually heard the theme before..but it really isn't just something I would listen to all the time like I do with other themes.

as I suspected.

and I forget who it was that mentioned the LOTR themes, but those are for hardcore LOTR fans, the casual movie fan is much more likely to know the theme from Harry Potter simply because its been so in our faces for 7 years now.

Especially as a fan of the big, thematic Star Wars scores, I'd imagine you'd get at least a little enjoyment from the Potter ones, Vosk.

Ray Barnsbury

Hedwig's theme doesn't do much for me. I always felt Tink's theme would have made the perfect theme for HP if it wasn't already used for Hook.

The Harry Potter scores are greatly inspired by Hook. Particulary "Hedwig's theme".

Especially as a fan of the big, thematic Star Wars scores, I'd imagine you'd get at least a little enjoyment from the Potter ones, Vosk.

Certainly the first two Potter scores. The third is a departure from that style.

Neil