Medal of Honor - Airborne

BLUMENKOHL

Summed up in one word: Brilliant! Best album this year thus far!

It's really quite amazing how much Michael Giacchino has matured since his first score for the series. And this latest entry is easily his best entry into the series. While the last few scores were wonderful as well, they always, to me, seemed to lack a little heart but no more! I got this last night and listened to it with lights out and all, so I really paid attention. It's such a refreshing album in that every track has elements which are so refreshing.

Also kudos to the man for returning to video game scoring, despite partaking in Hollywood as well.

Oh and for $10, you'd be foolish to miss out on this (download only it seems though).

I love Operation Varsity! :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to give credit to Giacchino for staying true to his series, despite getting too big for it. Ive loved his previous work in the series, Im going to pick this up real soon.

Summed up in one word: Brilliant! Best album this year thus far!

It's really quite amazing how much Michael Giacchino has matured since his first score for the series. And this latest entry is easily his best entry into the series. While the last few scores were wonderful as well, they always, to me, seemed to lack a little heart but no more! I got this last night and listened to it with lights out and all, so I really paid attention. It's such a refreshing album in that every track has elements which are so refreshing.

Also kudos to the man for returning to video game scoring, despite partaking in Hollywood as well.

Oh and for $10, you'd be foolish to miss out on this (download only it seems though).

I love Operation Varsity! :)

iTunes is supposed to have 2 bonus tracks. I do enjoy the Medal Of Honor scores. I'd say they outshine a majority of film scores written in the last 10 years.

I do enjoy the Medal Of Honor scores. I'd say they outshine a majority of film scores written in the last 10 years.

Aye. Should JW bite the dust (touch wood), Spielberg should just hire this guy. Most people probably wont notice the switch. I just listened to Call of Duty, and while the themes are nowhere near as memorable as MoH's, at least Giacchinno pulls off a pretty modern William-esque score in some ways.

I'll wait untill this is very rare and cheap so I can pay more then $125,50 for a copy.

Erm, its download only.

Anyway, what is Airborne like? Is it closer to the fun spirit of the original MoH or more towards the somber tone of Frontline?

Aye. Should JW bite the dust (touch wood), Spielberg should just hire this guy. Most people probably wont notice the switch. I just listened to Call of Duty, and while the themes are nowhere near as memorable as MoH's, at least Giacchinno pulls off a pretty modern William-esque score in some ways.

Yeah, that's what we want. Someone who can fake the John Williams sound so the uninitiated won't know that Spielberg is using another composer.

Sigh....

Someone who can fake the John Williams sound so the uninitiated won't know that Spielberg is using another composer.

Giacchino is far more versatile than this. Alias features some of the best orchestra/techno blending this side of Mona Lisa Overdrive, and Lost has been reminding me of Goldsmith quite a lot for a while.

Anyway, what is Airborne like? Is it closer to the fun spirit of the original MoH or more towards the somber tone of Frontline?

It's definitely more towards Frontline in terms of tone, and it has the stylings and orchestral sound of Lost and Mission: Impossible 3. Listening to all 4 MOH scores back to back, you can really hear Giacchino's style come through later on.

Sure, but the people who wish that Giasomething will take over after Williams dies want this because he can mimic Williams, not Goldsmith, Don Davis, David Arnold, John Barry or Hank Mancini.

Perhaps, but given the current state of things, Giacchino would probably be one of my top candidates. Not because he can sound like Williams, but because he can sound like the film requires him to, and because he's skilled with themes.

iTunes is supposed to have 2 bonus tracks. I do enjoy the Medal Of Honor scores. I'd say they outshine a majority of film scores written in the last 10 years.

I can't find it in the iTunes store...

I can't find it in the iTunes store...

Thank God I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think something had corrupted my iTunes store.

Just bought it and have started listening to it, and I'm enjoying it :|

I don't know if it's worth getting the 2 bonus tracks since soundtrack.net says they're just mulitplayer bits and are only 30 secs each.

man I gotta echo the praise for Operation Varsity

wow

On a slightly different note, does anyone here have any sort of fanmade track list for Giacchino's Call of Duty: Finest Hour? I have the original game audio, its 45 unnamed tracks and I've never played the game. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just played through the demo and the game was pretty awful. Didn't really notice the music, it all sounded bit Max Steiner to me -the action stuff I mean. Mind you, Medal of Honor has always sounded old fashioned.