Upcoming Films

Pieter Boelen

Hello all,

It seems there are rather a lot of new films coming up that might be of some interest. But with the amount of films that are upcoming, how to distinguish between the good and the bad? So the question is: Which of the new films are you looking forward to? Which ones will suck? Why?

A selection of the upcoming films:

Stardust

Directed by: Matthew Vaughn

Music by: Ilan Eshkeri

Release Date: 4 October 2007

In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm.

Beowulf

Directed by: Robert Zemeckis

Music by: Alan Silvestri

Release Date: 22 November 2007

The warrior Beowulf must fight and defeat the monster Grendel who is terrorizing towns, and later, Grendel's mother, who begins killing out of revenge.

The Golden Compass

Directed by: Chris Weitz

Music by: Alexandre Desplat

Release Date: 6 December 2007

In a parallel universe, young Lyra Belacqua journeys to the far North to save her best friend and other kidnapped children from terrible experiments by a mysterious organization.

I Am Legend

Directed by: Francis Lawrence

Music by: James Newton Howard

Release Date: 20 December 2007

Robert Neville is the last man alive. He busies himself with preparing for a nightly attack from the rest of the world - all of which have transformed into blood-thirsty vampires.

National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets

Directed by: Jon Turteltaub

Music by: Trevor Rabin

Release Date: 10 January 2008

Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates looks to discover the truth behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, by uncovering the mystery within the 18 pages missing from assassin John Wilkes Booth's diary.

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Directed by: Mark Waters

Music by: James Horner

Release Date: 13 March 2008

Upon moving into the run-down Spiderwick Estate with their mother, twin brothers Jared and Simon Grace, along with their sister Mallory, find themselves pulled into an alternate world full of faeries and other creatures.

10,000 BC

Directed by: Roland Emmerich

Music by: Harald Kloser

Release Date: 20 March 2008

A prehistoric epic that follows a young mammoth hunter's journey through uncharted territory to secure the future of his tribe.

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

Directed by: Jay Russell

Music by: James Newton Howard

Release Date: 20 March 2008

A lonely boy discovers a mysterious egg that hatches a sea creature of Scottish legend.

Indiana Jones IV

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Music by: John Williams

Release Date: 22 May 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Directed by: Andrew Adamson

Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams

Release Date: 2 July 2008

The Pevensie siblings return to Narnia, where they are enlisted to once again help ward off an evil king and restore the rightful heir to the land's throne, Prince Caspian.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Directed by: David Yates

Music by: Nicholas Hooper

Release Date: 21 November 2008

As Harry Potter begins his 6th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he discovers an old book marked mysteriously "This book is the property of the Half-Blood Prince" and begins to learn more about Lord Voldemort's dark past.

The Lovely Bones

Directed by: Peter Jackson

Music by: Unknown

Release Date: 2008

A young girl who was brutally raped and murdered, watches the effects of her death on her family from Heaven, as her parents drift apart, her father becomes obsessed with vengeance and her sister grows into the woman she would never be.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to the Golden Compass. From the previews it looks as if the filmmakers are really tapping into the scenic and atmospheric writing of Pullman's HIs Dark Materials. I mean the movie can utterly suck but so far it doesn't look that way.

Beowulf Eh.....Angelina Jolie as a hot seductive mother of Grendel? I thought Grendel's mother was a hideous angry bitch?

If Kloves can get this script right and Yates can do the cave scene as well as it's written Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince just may be one of the highlights of the entire year.

Some stuff i'm looking forward to not mentioned above:

I am legened Will Smith is one of the best action movie stars. Trailer was amazing and everything so far points in the right direction.

The Lovely Bones Awesome book awesome cast, great director. I'm sold

Eagerly looking forward to Stardust.

Definitely interested in Beowolf. Indy Iv, of course.

Not particularly looking forward to any of the other fantasy films...though I am looking forward to their scores (Desplat's most of all, of course).

10,000 BC is automatically the worst on the list, though, seeing as it's being directed by one of the worst directors ever. Although it's cowritten by composer Kloser- and if he can write as well as he scores....it'll be even worse than that.

I am Legend looks particularly banal.

The Lovely Bones sounds intriguing.

There Will Be Blood looks like it could be fantastic.

Across The Universe has a lot going for it- Taymor, Goldenthal and The Beatles.

Eastern Promises.

No Country for old men, of course.

Burn after Reading.

Before the Devil Knows you're Dead- I mean, Lumet, Finney, Hoffman, and Burwell?

Frost/Nixon sounds interesting.

The Dark Knight, of course.

Lions for Lambs sounds a bit to preachy...but it could be good.

Valkyrie.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Roger Deakins? I'm there (although I'm not sure the same goes for his Paul Haggis flick).

No idea what HP VI will be like. I hope they cut out the cave scene, though.

Can't wait for Sweeny Todd.

I, Lucifer and Bond 22 are on my radar for 08' (will they really crank out another Bond in time?).

Anything by Ridley Scott- American Gangster for this year, Body of Lies for next year.

If Scorsese gets around to making one of the three rumoured projects, count me in.

Coppola's film, You Without Youth, even though I haven't a clue what it's about.

Those come to mind, although I'm sure there are many more I just can't remember at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing Stardust, Indy, Narnia, and Potter the most. And I'm really anticipating JNH's score to The Water Horse.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm seeing Ratatouille this weekend, which I expect will be good.

The Simpsons Movie comes out here next week, I'll be seeing that as well.

I'm really looking forward to The Bourne Ultimatum (arrives in Holland in early September).

Otherwise, I don't really have anything on my radar for this year except Across the Universe, which looks like it could be awesome.

But I'm already looking forward to two of 2008's major releases: The Dark Knight and Bond 22.

Bond 22, The Dark Knight, Indy IV (and that I'm really skeptical about), other than that, it's just poorly conceived "artsy" films and fantasy knockoffs.

Wasnt that a worldwide release??

What's the point of not dubbing movies...if you dont get them at the same time as the original language?

What's the point of not dubbing movies...if you dont get them at the same time as the original language?

Apparently not.

And for some reason, The Simpsons is being released in both an English and a Dutch version. I shudder to think what the latter is like. :P

Of course you wouldn't.

Well, there's also the advantage of not having to endure the dubbed versions. Which is the good thing about not dubbing movies.

Of course you wouldn't.

Well, there's also the advantage of not having to endure the dubbed versions. Which is the good thing about not dubbing movies.

My point was, usually in dubbing countries the movie is released later, because dubbing takes time. So in a non dubbing country, its rather strange they cannot get the release the same or near the Original country of the movie...

You've been disappointed too many times, eh?You poor old man. :huh:

Of course, you're still young and it's only natural that your trust in movies is still undamaged but when you've reached Mark Olivarez's age, you too will have learned that it is wise not to expect too much from films, especially not when they are made within the Hollywood system.

You poor young and naive kid. :P

Fantasy seems to be flavour of the month, and I cannot bear much fantasy.

Personally I have nothing against fantasy. However, the problem with fantasy movie nowadays is that they show it all and leave nothing to our own imagination.

Alex

You've been disappointed too many times, eh?You poor old man. ;)

Of course, you're still young and it's only natural that your trust in movies is still undamaged but when you've reached Mark Olivarez's age, you too will have learned that it is wise not to expect too much from films, especially not when they are made within the Hollywood system.

You poor young and naive kid. :(

Hey, I don't have to defend myself!

That's a rather specific response. How about you asked it this way:

Person A: "I think there were 15 terrific films made in 2006"

Person B: "You're young, if you were as wise as me you'd know that they were all crap"

Person C: "My god, you sure know how to enjoy life"

Morlock, the point is that liking a certain type of movies, or liking movies in general, has nothing to do with being able to enjoy life.

Alex

No, but disliking all movies, even good ones, does say something about a person's outlook, and not only the state of movies.

Hey, I've also lost faith in movies, and I'm 22.

Then again, I believe real talent is found on fiction TV (it's not even TV in the typical sense of the word) these days. That's where the creative people go.

I can't speak for Mark Olivarez but I know it's better not to get your hopes up too high. Expectations can lead to disappointment.

Looking forward to things is a big part of life (well, my life), and losing the ability to do so is a sad thing.

I would be sad if movies are the only thing you can look forward to.

Then again, I believe real talent is found on fiction TV (it's not even TV in the typical sense of the word) these days. That's where the creative people go.

I admit I looked forward to Deadwood 3 and that I'm still looking forward to Battlestar Galactica 3 and Lost 3. Hmm, it seems I too believe in television more than in film.

Alex

Like I said. Movies are not the only thing, ost people live their lives without having any real interest in movies. But finding no good in something that still has good in it, when this something used to be something to look forward to in life, that is a bit sad.

Like I said. Movies are not the only thing, ost people live their lives without having any real interest in movies. But finding no good in something that still has good in it, when this something used to be something to look forward to in life, that is a bit sad.

But that's not the case here so why keep bringing it up?

I enjoy life greatly. When it comes to movies I haven't really seen too much these past 10 years to excite me.

I'm looking forward to next summer and the score to IJ IV, I'm looking forward to the next season of Lost, I'm looking forward to the fall/ winter when ROTK Complete Recordings, Looney Tunes Vol 5 DVD, CE3K DVD with 3 versions come out.

I'm looking forward to receiving my package from Intrada in the next few days so I can listen to the new improved Wind And the Lion.

No lose faith in people. The masses demand crap so the factories (studios) will manufacture crap at the most sophisticated level. Don't blame the filmmakers entirely for making hot steaming piles of dung, blame the people who gorge on it like caviar.

That is precisely what we were discussing, actually.

Seeing no good in anything is what we are discussing, Morlock? Really?

I think you misunderstood something.

Alex

No lose faith in people. The masses demand crap so the factories (studios) will manufacture crap at the most sophisticated level. Don't blame the filmmakers entirely for making hot steaming piles of dung, blame the people who gorge on it like caviar.

Well, aren't you just filled with hope.

No, lose faith in people.

Well, that too, but then people complain that my posts come across as nihilistic and depressing.

So?

I just saw Stardust and it was very good. I highly recommend it. And listen to its music while you see it. The music is great!