Recommend me a Williams theme, or cue

Quintus

I've got all of his obvious stuff, but I know nearly zilch about his smaller, or lesser known projects. Is there a superb theme hidden away somewhere that I don't know about? Being that themes are the reason I got into his shit in the first place. I only developed a taste for entire scores after Jurassic, as did many of us.

So is there a Raiders quality theme I am yet to hear? I'd be grateful for any suggestions :rolleyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far and Away has some absolutely great music. It's not "great" like people think some of his lesser known works are (i.e. not as lush as his greater scores), it's lush and beautiful and not repetitive.

Um, maybe you should listen to all the man's scores.

Thats a tall order for someone with a limited score buying budget :mellow:But I guess there's always Limewire.

TGE: Who doesn't mind downloading (for free) the odd cue, but prefers to purchase the original album when possible. Williams is gladly on my payroll as often as I can afford.

Jane Eyre has a gorgeous theme.
I keep hearing (reading) about this. First on my list as of now, finally.

Jane Eyre has a gorgeous theme.

I consider Jane's theme JWs greatest love theme. This score is full of great themes. To really appreciate the score you need both the OST and the BPO album "Pops Britannia" which features a suite of themes from the score which really improve upon and expand the love theme and the Scherzo (To Thornfield). I've been listening to this like mad lately. To all who think Across The Stars is a great theme, it has nothing on this gothic/tragic piece.

Jeff

Definitely Jane Eyre. One of my absolute favorites. Most of the lesser known stuff is the smaller scale stuff. And I like just about all of it, so one theme would be very hard to pick out. I know this isn't what you're looking for....but 'La Bostella', a dance cue JW wrote for Penelope is one catchy tune. Very ltitle of the rest of the score got to me (one chase cue, and the Sabadaba theme), but I jsut couldnt' get enough of 'La Bostella' for months.

Jane Eyre is good.

My personal reccomendations would include Born on the Fourth of July (my absolute favorite), Agela's Ashes, or Seven Years in Tibet. The Turbulent Years from Nixon is also a lot of fun.

I know this isn't what you're looking for....but 'La Bostella', a dance cue JW wrote for Penelope is one catchy tune.

Oh no, catchy is always what I'm looking for, especially were JW is concerned. Luckily for me he exceeds in that area.

La Bostella has been added to my list. Limewire initially, but if I like it I'll most likely hunt the ost down.

Nixon would go on to set up Williams music to this day....it was the juncture at which Williams' style changed and never looked back.

We're not saying that would make it bad though, are we? I really enjoy Nixon, all of it...a lot of that thanks to it being the only "good" soundtrack presentation of his works with Oliver Stone. Its a shame these three scores don't have complete releases, I'm sure the scores for BOTFOJ and JFK could all have easily been fit onto one disc for each.

Seven Years in Tibet.

I have it and love it, for the most part. The main theme is pure epic Williams. I'm just not too keen on the more 'cultured' stuff in the score, but obviously that music serves its purpose. Personal taste being another reason.

Nixon would go on to set up Williams music to this day....it was the juncture at which Williams' style changed and never looked back.

Funnily enough, I noticed that transition too. I remember seeing a Barry Norman review on BBC1 of Nixon and it played a few clips from the film and I thought, hmm, Williams sounds different, for some weird reason.

But I don't think he has "never looked back". I'm relying on Indy IV of course to utterly back up my reasons :rolleyes:

Seven Years in Tibet.

I have it and love it, for the most part. The main theme is pure epic Williams. I'm just not too keen on the more 'cultured' stuff in the score, but obviously that music serves its purpose. Personal taste being another reason.

Yes I'm quite fond of the Seven Years in Tibet theme also. That is definitely a score to look into.

I've got all of his obvious stuff, but I know nearly zilch about his smaller, or lesser known projects. Is there a superb theme hidden away somewhere that I don't know about? Being that themes are the reason I got into his shit in the first place. I only developed a taste for entire scores after Jurassic, as did many of us.

So is there a Raiders quality theme I am yet to hear? I'd be grateful for any suggestions :rolleyes:

i thnik you should get those cues I named in your other thread about orchestration

Um....Sleepers if only for the Football Game and Heartbeeps if only for well...every damn track.

I love "Restoration" from Jane Eyre - an uncannily accurate pastiche of "English" music - it could almost have been written by Butterworth.

It seems to me as if Williams's scores (on CD) can be divided into 2 classes - those that are essentially orchestral suites of themes, and those that contain large amounts of narrative (ie background) or "action" music. I tend to prefer the former as listening experiences, and the best in that class I would suggest were Schindler's List, Angela's Ashes and Jane Eyre.

But remember, the key to an appreciation of the maestro - everything has something.

I've already placed a bid for it, sorry, I didn't realise.

When I first saw that auction I was tempted to bid on it myself, just to get a second copy of it on the cheap. Hmm, there is still time. :huh:

Jeff