Alright, NOW I'm disgusted with James Horner

ChuckM

I've known forever that Horner rips his own pieces in minor ways. The infamous "Danger Motif" comes to mind. I really have no problem with that though. I just think of it as James Horner's signature added to his scores.

But this is too much. I'm listening to Bicentennial Man for the first time. The first track, "The Machine Age," is EXACTLY the same as "A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" from A Beautiful Mind. I mean NOTE FOR NOTE the entire piece. Now sure it's orchestrated differently, but the melody is 100% the same piece.

Kaleidoscope used to be one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, and now I find out that it's a carbon copy of an earlier work? This is sickening.

[/rant]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh be damned. <_<

Sad part is, it refers to all posts that are rip-offs of other posts that we've already gone through...

But this guy shamelessly makes it literally a Horner Post! The damned insanity!

Well excuse me, but I'm just a bit disgusted at the moment. This is, as I mentioned, the first time I heard this piece, and I obviously have not read any of the threads about it here. (Nor had I particularly noticed your signature before now)

Oh be damned. ;)

Sad part is, it refers to all posts that are rip-offs of other posts that we've already gone through...

Indeed. Regarding your nice new sig though, it may be deliberate, it may not, but its style kinda reminds me of The Simpsons... and donuts. That yellow font is almost edible. Horner almost looks like Homer <_<

"The Machine Age" borrows its ending from the very last bit of TWOK's credits.

- Datameister, who enjoys "The Machine Age" despite the innumerable self-plagiarisms it may or may not contain

Wait, wait. James Horner has plagiarized himself? You gotta' be kidding me! I have never heard that!

<_<

Oh be damned. ;)

Indeed. Regarding your nice new sig though, it may be deliberate, it may not, but its style kinda reminds me of The Simpsons... and donuts. That yellow font is almost edible. Horner almost looks like Homer <_<

Well original it was supposed to be "Bake a Fresh Post" with a picture of freshly baked steaming bread next to it. But it was just too much. ;)

I've known forever that Horner rips his own pieces in minor ways. The infamous "Danger Motif" comes to mind. I really have no problem with that though. I just think of it as James Horner's signature added to his scores.

But this is too much. I'm listening to Bicentennial Man for the first time. The first track, "The Machine Age," is EXACTLY the same as "A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" from A Beautiful Mind. I mean NOTE FOR NOTE the entire piece. Now sure it's orchestrated differently, but the melody is 100% the same piece.

Kaleidoscope used to be one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, and now I find out that it's a carbon copy of an earlier work? This is sickening.

[/rant]

Actually you have backwards, Kaleidoscope copies Bicentenial Man.

Umm, isn't that what I said?

Kaleidoscope used to be one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, and now I find out that it's a carbon copy of an earlier work?

its a little weird how that worked out...

I do love that as well, and it bothered me when I first heard it. It wasn't like... even that far apart... it was practically his next movie... and it's like the same opening and it just seemed to strange to me...

I mean, its a cool little piece and I'm all for exploring more of it... but it just seemed... redundant.

Umm, isn't that what I said?

Kaleidoscope used to be one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, and now I find out that it's a carbon copy of an earlier work?

Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention.

The only track I ever listen to are the lovely end credit, one of the best versions of Ennio Morricone's The Mission I've heard.

The only track I ever listen to are the lovely end credit, one of the best versions of Ennio Morricone's The Mission I've heard.

He also used the Falls' theme from the Mission as the theme for Rolfe and Pocahontas in The New World.

This always bothered me.

He obviously has tons of talent and he is fortunate enough to work in the industry full time. Why on Earth isn't he searching for new stuff?

This always bothered me.

He obviously has tons of talent and he is fortunate enough to work in the industry full time. Why on Earth isn't he searching for new stuff?

What makes you think he has tons of talent? The man became big by copying others.

This always bothered me.

What makes you think he has tons of talent? The man became big by copying others.

I did love his early music. I gave up on him like many others have done.

I just don't get it. You have the talent, the resorts, the offers. Why the hell wouldn't you try to come up with new music?

Can't wait to hear Jimmy's "danger" motif at JTW's memorial service. ;)

Oh%20Well.jpg

P.S. I'll never give up loving James Horner's music. Long live Little Big Horner.

This always bothered me.

I did love his early music. I gave up on him like many others have done.

I just don't get it. You have the talent, the resorts, the offers. Why the hell wouldn't you try to come up with new music?

He maybe tries, he probably can't.