The Return of the King - Complete Recordings Information?

Joe Brausam

By now I would have assumed that we would have a release date or some substantial information. Do we know anything new about this set yet? Has Doug Adams said anything about it on FSM recently?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really cant wait to hear that ROTK Complete Recordings, the full score in 5.1 DVD Audio, FANTASTIC!

i just wish we could have all 6 star wars movies done like that, a DVD Audio and 2-3 CD's ;)

• 3 weeks later...

What LOTR: ROTK cue are you most looking forward to?

I want the cue right after Aragorn sees the beacons of Gondor being lit, and goes to ask Theoden to aid Gondor. I also want the cue when Theoden starts riding in front of Rohan's army, his sword clanging against their spears. Other than that, there are many other good cues in Pealeanor Fields, and throughout the rest of the movie. Those are the only ones that come to mind at this very moment.

I'm not very familiar with the music to come, but one segment comes to mind and that's the choral rendition of the Fellowship Theme as Aragorn and co charge the bad guys in the climactic battle outside the black gate.

Oh god, far, far too much. I want the whole score now dammit!

However, amongst them are the choral fellowship theme, and there's also a moment in the score documentary on RotK EE where the part in which Gandalf uses that light to blind the nazgul and let Faramir et al, into Minas Tirith, is isolated for a few seconds, and the merge into the soprano works great.

Oh and indy4 - both of the cues you mentioned are already available sfx free from the videogame rips.

the choral rendition of the Fellowship Theme as Aragorn and co charge the bad guys in the climactic battle outside the black gate.

This and the music as Legolas takes down the oliphant.

the choral rendition of the Fellowship Theme as Aragorn and co charge the bad guys in the climactic battle outside the black gate.

I think that can be cleanly taken from the EE end credits.

I want the rendition of the Isengard motif on bassoon (I think) when we see saruman for the last time.

And I basically just badly want all the music from the point Sam and Frodo discard of their Orc garments. That culmination of the Ring theme they mentioned on the FSM podcast when Frodo is about to drop the Ring in the fire that was eventually dropped from the film sounded really interesting!

The whole bloody thing. I haven't bothered with DVD or VG rips for this score and only watch the movie once in a great while, so I'm not very familiar with the unreleased cues and am hoping for some great discoveries.

The whole bloody thing.

Indeed.

I'm sure most of you have read Doug Adam's update...but incase you haven't...

Hi everyone,

Bullet points!

--Packaging and liner notes mock-ups now back from Warner / Smog Design… oh, and front cover sticker, too! Looks beautiful. Now editing. You should be green with envy.

--Track titles officially finalized.

--Don’t know when the press release will be, but I’ll again stress we’re currently on a timeline that looks a great deal like last year’s. Take that as you will, armchair detectives of the net.

--Book / rarities discs on target for 2008… as of right now. I’d be surprised to see that change. Just pointing this out for those of you budgeting… ROTK will be released by itself this year. Hope this helps you plan accordingly. I don’t know the price tag, and I likely won’t until you do. Maybe Santa can help you out with all the above.

More later, eyeball-deep in work! Enjoy your embedded hints. ;)

-Doug

I think that can be cleanly taken from the EE end credits.

Zoinks! So it can. Shame on me for not listening to those credits. Hey, it was Christmas time, I had a lot of other stuff to delve into.

So there's gonna be a rarities disc released with the book, sometime next year?

Yup... well unless it was a typo Doug said discs so there might be TWO of em'. So we'll find out for sure when we get more details next year.

I can't descern though if the rarities will be available seperately, or if they're attached to the book. I'm not sure if I'll be buying the book, but I think I will if it comes with the rarities disc(s).

You see, a piece of marketing genius.....

If the booklets are any indication, you'll have to have studied musical theory to be able to actually read the book. ;)

True to that... I won't be getting the book since I don't understand musical theory at all...

That's what I'm wondering, what's going to be in the book that we don't already have? More, as Steef mentioned, music theory mumbo jumbo that you have to have a PhD to decipher?

I doubt that. I expect there to be a lot of stuff in the book that wasn't even touched upon in the liner notes.

the PDF files -> printed version of the cue by cue analysis

And both liner notes and cue by cue analysis for the rarities.

And having it in one big book...

I expect that it will also cover the creation of the symphony.

That, the creation of the score, collaboration with the director, more unused concepts and details on alternates, etc. etc.

There's plenty more to be told...

As for the symphony, it might be nice if it's released, but what more is it really than highlights from the OSTs strung together?

Yes, but think of all the joy one can get from the Complete Recordings!

But waiting 4 years to listen to a note of ROTK so you can save $ my just buying the complete recordings is a waste.