Meeting the Maestro backstage

jerrygollay

I met 3 times Maestro Williams, back in 90 at the Boston Symphony Hall he signed the IJTOD CD :fouetaa: , then once in London , he recognize me after six years we met , but his hand shaking was a bit disapointing, half the hand closed, like a king or pape ,strange...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met 3 times Maestro Williams, back in 90 at the Boston Symphony Hall he signed the IJTOD CD :fouetaa: , then once in London , he recognize me after six years we met , but his hand shaking was a bit disapointing, half the hand closed, like a king or pape ,strange...

you lucky dude,

was he nice? He strikes me as a nice person

I've seen him in concert three times (1996, 1999 & 2003) and met him twice (1996 & 1999). He's polite and modest, thanked me for coming to the concert, etc. etc.

Jeff

I've had no such luck the 2 times I've seen him in Chicago but I'd like to try again this year!

I've had no luck in Chicago either. When I went, you had to be a big donor to the CSO or something in order to get backstage to meet him. They even turned away this 7 or 8 year-old kid who was standing there with a Star Wars CD.

I've never met him, though I've seen (but not heard) him talking with someone through a closed door that had a window in it. He appeared to be smiling and polite, the way most people describe him and interviews make him seem.

I've had no such luck the 2 times I've seen him in Chicago but I'd like to try again this year!

I've had no luck in Chicago either. When I went, you had to be a big donor to the CSO or something in order to get backstage to meet him. They even turned away this 7 or 8 year-old kid who was standing there with a Star Wars CD.

Thats cruelty!

The best time I saw him after a concert was when it was a Christmas concert. Barely any JW music if at all. I and my wife waited, as well as an old couple. The guy said he was president of Mead papers and wanted to meet JW. Anyway, JW seemed to sense that the Mead guy wanted to use his status and basically just joked around for a few minutes with my wife and I. A relative of my wife had claimed to have been a regular golf partner of Williams. Williams denied it (busted!). He said he wrote JAWS when he was 6. That was the first time I heard that one, and he started saying it in concerts when he'd perform JAWS.

Best of all, he seemed buzzed. I had to try not to be a fanboy and ask him to have a drink the bar next door with my wife and I, but it would have been great. I would have been like "What the 'ell is Ben Burtt thinking?!?" and he'd be getting drunk and telling all. LOL "This is my family label!!"

If you wait after his Hollywood Bowl performance, can you meet him?

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to. When I tried, we ended up just watching him through a window in a door for a few minutes. Then he disappeared. He was talking to someone, though, so if you've got inside connections...well, give me a ring. ;)

My impression after meeting Williams on a few occasions, is that he is very, very polite, fiendly, a little shy, and he seems somewhat surprised at his popularity.

I think Williams the stage persona is a little different, he is more confident in front of an orchestra, and the professional aspect takes over (I wonder whether his stage manners are a little modelled, almost certainly subconsciously, after those of Henry Mancini?).

Other professionals I know also generally seem to have an impression of Williams as a gentleman, a true professional. One of my old teachers, Richard Danielpour, had his cello concerto premiered with Williams´(both concerti were written for Yo-Yo Ma), and he remembers Williams as very friendly, but "strangely shy".

I met him once after a concert in London. He didn't chat much and seemed exhausted from conducting, but it was still a magical moment. He signed my Star Wars Anthology booklet ;) (Nerd heaven!) It was the week that Summon The Heroes CD came out.

I've never met Maestro Williams. Although I did have a dream that I met Goldsmith at a concert. Although he didn't look like himself at all. And he seemed to know me... Weird.

I'm going to the open rehersal and i am determined to meet him!!! Whether he does a meet and greet or not. Even if i have to stand up in the middle of the rehersal and say "Hi Mr. Williams! I'm Meghan!!!".

I'm going to the open rehersal and i am determined to meet him!!! Whether he does a meet and greet or not. Even if i have to stand up in the middle of the rehersal and say "Hi Mr. Williams! I'm Meghan!!!".

I'm sure he'll love that.......I was just reading on a message board (can't remember if it was this one or not) that he got annoyed during an open rehersal at a group of people who constantly talked. That said, I admire your enthusiasm. I hope you get to meet him!

Go the stalker route. It always works for me . . .

Hehe thats the plan. Get everyone I know to make a perimeter around Lincoln Center and any site of an old bald head...ATTACK!!!

"Mr. Williams come back here and sign my Star Wars CD!!"

At the Chicago concerts of 2005, me and the other friends of mine tried to meet him in the backstage, but we were told by the security guards that we had to be in a kind of "Guest List". However, one kind lady told us that we could catch him in one of the exits on the back of the Symphony Center. So we went there and we found 5 or 6 other people who were waiting. There was a freezing cold, we waited for 20 or 30 minutes... we were deciding to go away, but then JW's driver arrived and 2 minutes later he exited along with his agents and PA's. A lady said to us that we could ask him for an autograph and a handshake. JW was really, really tired, but he was very sweet, kind and lovely. "Thank you for waiting for me in the cold!", he said to us. He patiently signed everything (there was one embarassing guy who brought 10 or 15 LP covers and gave them all to JW to sign!) and talked with everyone. When I said to him I was coming from Italy, he said "Ah, Italia..." smiled JW. "And you came here just to see me? Thank you very much!". Then I said "Thank you for all the wonderful emotions you gave me through your music, Maestro. I'm really honored." and I shaked his hand. He looked directly into my eyes and replied "Thank you to you!".

Man, I still get goosebumps when I think about it. It's really a strange, dreamy feeling when you meet with someone who you deeply admire.

I hope I'll meet him again next November! :)

Met him the once backstage @ the 1996 London concert (he didn't repeat the backstage or autograph session @ the 1998 concerts as he was too tired apparently) and he really is a true gent. Very shy and awkward though - particularly if you are as gushing as I was about Empire of the Sun and ET

I don't think he'll mind. In the middle of a Hollywood Bowl performance, someone shouted, "We love you John!" and he laughed and said, "Thank you."

If you wait after his Hollywood Bowl performance, can you meet him?

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to. When I tried, we ended up just watching him through a window in a door for a few minutes. Then he disappeared. He was talking to someone, though, so if you've got inside connections...well, give me a ring. :huh:

Actually, and this is totally true, my uncle's friend son's friend's uncle is John Williams. We tried to contact him through this bizarre connection, with no luck.

I know, sounds like something from Spaceballs.

I don't think he'll mind. In the middle of a Hollywood Bowl performance, someone shouted, "We love you John!" and he laughed and said, "Thank you."

Reminds me of that story of the guy during the concert who kept yelling at Williams to play Superman, culminating in a "For the love of god, please play Superman!"

What did Williams say to that?

And I will make a mental note to never attend a concert Stefan is attending...

He threw a violin at the person.

What did Williams say to that?

And I will make a mental note to never attend a concert Stefan is attending...

8O hehe...ok there goes plan B. No shouting at a John Williams concert. Hm...plan c?

That's a half-truth!

I was standing in the wake of blood that resulted. It is a full truth. JW gets away with many things that we lesser folks would not. He owns the Boston PD.