Williams' Duo Concertante for Viola and Violin

Miguel Andrade

So I have a quick, and probably clumsy question! Once I have a recording, how do I post it, or post a link to it? Where can I upload it? (I am unbelievably un-savvy when it comes to technical things..)

Expect a recording sometime around New Year.

I can promise you a first-class interpretation by stellar, top-notch performers!

So I have a quick, and probably clumsy question! Once I have a recording, how do I post it, or post a link to it? Where can I upload it?

There are dozens of sites you could use. Here's one that would suit your needs:

http://www.megaupload.com/

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
So I have a quick, and probably clumsy question! Once I have a recording, how do I post it, or post a link to it? Where can I upload it? (I am unbelievably un-savvy when it comes to technical things..)

I can promise you a first-class interpretation by stellar, top-notch performers!

Any news on that one?

That would be one great present!

That would be the greatest birthday gift I could get...

Actually, second best...

So then what would be the best gift you could get?

Well, this is such a wonderful work.

Do you think that Williams deliberately quoted Corigliano's Red Violiin's theme in the 2nd movement, Cadenza-Adagio?

I don't think so. But the whole thing is wonderful. A real masterpiece.

Greetings, friends!

So this is being rehearsed right now, and a recording is immanent...

It is a wonderful and beautifully crafted piece; deeply lyrical, and formally very, very tightly constructed. The last movement is a lot of fun, but it requires quite some stamina on the part of the musicians!

This piece will find a HUGE market among accomplished violinists and violists!

It really is stunning!

Another exhilarating news about D.C. , I wish I could listen to this. Great to hear tat our old man is in shape. Still no word about its official recording and release, though. :blink:

Another exhilarating news about D.C. , I wish I could listen to this. Great to hear tat our old man is in shape. Still no word about its official recording and release, though. :blink:

Well, the two soloists that premiered it expressed the wish to record it along with other reportoir for Violin and Viola. Maybe we get lucky there. Anyway, I'm sure we'll get a glimpse of this wonderful piece soon :blink:

Hi. Though I am very much a fan of John William's film scores, I really do get far more enjoyment from the concert pieces - in fact the cello concerto and Heartwood are two of my all time favourite classical pieces. I am a cellist myself, but this preference aside, I really do believe that these two pieces represent the height of his compositional talent, and both are major new contributions to the repertoire of the cello. Perhaps they are especially good because of John's very close relationship to the dedicatee - Yo-Yo Ma and that cellists supreme artistry. I have approximately 320 cello concertos and concertante pieces on record and these two pieces rank among the my very favourite. The cello concerto is very clearly influenced by the Walton cello concerto, the Britten Cello Symphony (especially the Scherzo) and Barber's fantastic cello concerto - all three of which are also amongst the finest works for the instrument of the last century.

Much to my chagrin the music has not been published and despite my pleading with John's secretary via email (!) there are no plans to publish these two pieces (really anoying as almost all the other concertos have been published), though she did say that she had recieved a few other enquiries so hopefully if enough people ask John Williams will reconsider. I would like nothing more than to see the cello concerto and Heartwood published.

Anyway, naturally I was very excited to hear about this new piece, so I just thought that I'd ask whether anyone on this board has a recording of this piece yet and if so could they PM me or email me at guidolmb (at) hotmail (dot) com ?

Cheers!

(P.S. I'm not sure which thread is more active so I have posted this response on the other Duo Concertante thread as well)

This one is currently the active thread, so you did it alright. Welcome to the board, guido! It's not very usual to have a Williams concert music lover around!

You're saying that the other concertos (most of them) are published, but they're only soloist & piano reduction. It's better than nothing, but it would be much better to have the full score. Maybe someday... we should fill up their mail and e-mail with requests! :music:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone!

Forgive my belated reply to all questions; I've been absolutely swamped in orchestrations for my opera (just a short 4 months away from its premiere), and hard at work on my new "Missa Concertante" (no relation to the work of this thread's title) for Alto Saxophone, Choir, string quartet, percussion and organ, to be premiered on March 3rd, but:-----

There's been a delay in the recording of the "Duo Concertante" due to the violinist being away on tour. But fear not! A recording shall be made A.S.A.P, and by musicians basically at the level of the two performers for which it was writen, so it should sound absolutely glorious!

(Again, I am as impatient about this as you!)

Very best regards,

Marcus

Greetings everyone!

Forgive my belated reply to all questions; I've been absolutely swamped in orchestrations for my opera (just a short 4 months away from its premiere), and hard at work on my new "Missa Concertante" (no relation to the work of this thread's title) for Alto Saxophone, Choir, string quartet, percussion and organ, to be premiered on March 3rd, but:-----

There's been a delay in the recording of the "Duo Concertante" due to the violinist being away on tour. But fear not! A recording shall be made A.S.A.P, and by musicians basically at the level of the two performers for which it was writen, so it should sound absolutely glorious!

(Again, I am as impatient about this as you!)

Very best regards,

Marcus

Appreciate the update, best of luck with your endeavors.

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the birthday of my new girlfriend and she is a viola player of my orchestra. One of the presents I bought her was

the sheet music for Duo Concertante.

Now , all I have to do is seduce her to practise it( with some violinist) and make a recording.

btw , She Is Stunning

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very much anticipating a recording of this... I finally got the sheet music, and tried some of it with my girlfriend, and it looks promising and fun, but sight-reading it doesn't really do it justice (at least not at our level), so I'm looking forward to hear professionals perform it :P

Greetings!

Just starting to recover from all the work that went into the "Missa Concertante" (saxophone concerto/Mass); the premiere went very, very well, and it got great reviews in Norwegian newspapers. If anyone's interested, I have a recording. The piece is long, though, 45 minutes+, but you'll hear some of the most amazing saxophone playing ever!

Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will finally meet up with the violinist and violist who are going to record this, after having been unable to do so for months.

Hopefully I will have good news to report then.

Marcus

(Who is swamped with opera-orchestrations,and severely behind schedule!)

Greetings!

Just starting to recover from all the work that went into the "Missa Concertante" (saxophone concerto/Mass); the premiere went very, very well, and it got great reviews in Norwegian newspapers. If anyone's interested, I have a recording. The piece is long, though, 45 minutes+, but you'll hear some of the most amazing saxophone playing ever!

Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will finally meet up with the violinist and violist who are going to record this, after having been unable to do so for months.

Marcus

Marcus, those are wonderful news...

And I would love to hear your Missa Concertante :mellow:

Greetings!

Marcus

Marcus, how did that meeting went? Any news?

Greetings!

Mostly good news: The Duo Concertante will be programmed at a festival in Norway in September, and will be recorded prior to that. Unfortunately, we don't yet know when, simply because of the musicians' schedules are hard to align: We'll need a weekend to do it, and a day to master and edit.

What I hope to do, though, is to get a simpler recording of a rehearsal peformance (the playing will naturally be excellent, but the feel, ambience and acoustics will be less than what he piece deserves).

I will keep you updated!

Best,

Marcus