Why hasn't JW scored a Disney Film?

indy4

I think it was one of the veterans coming up with it. Miguel I believe, maybe King Mark. I think the thread was about what kind of movies one wanted to be scored by Williams in the future. The Jurassic Park animation clip was also discussed in there, and John Williams mickey mousing styles in Home Alone among others. Alan Menken was discussed. I might have said something like I wished Williams would have scored Beauty and the Beast.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you don't have to have a Disney film to be animated like Pirates of the Caribbean so probably is a good idea to have John Williams have a go at a Disney film. After all these years Disney had never use John Williams for a film of theirs so to me it sound an unlikely thing that would happen.

Mr Williams was linked to THE BLACK CAULDRON in the mid-eighties

Was? Well I don't know where you getting the info or sources from that claimed that but according IMDB it doesn't say he was linked or did the music for it.

Was? Well I don't know where you getting the info or sources from that claimed that but according IMDB it doesn't say he was linked or did the music for it.

Do you think IMDB reports everything ?

Mr Williams turned down a great number of films because of various reasons (scheduling conflict, creative differences, studio executives "decisions"...) etc...

Scrooged, The Swarm, Out of Africa, Titanic, Powder, Bridges of Madison County, Bicentennial Man, Meteor, Superman II, Quintet, Heaven's Gate, the Deep, Double, Wolf, Inchon....

It happens everyday in the film music business.

Hi folks! I'm new here and have "lurked" I guess they call it - for a long timre. I mainly download Williams mp3s from the internet. My favorite Williams music is Forest Gump, followed by The Olympic Spirit. Is it true that John Williams is writing music for a Disney movie? If so, this is wonderful news!

Alright, I'll play along.

John Williams did not score Forrest Gump, it was scored by Alan Silvestri. I don't care what your mp3 says.

John Williams did not score Forrest Gump, it was scored by Alan Silvestri. I don't care what your mp3 says.

OMG! :) You're right! I will have to look up who is this Alan Silvestri and what are his best soundtracks.

Least we not forget that Johnny used Disney's "When you wish upon a star" song quote in CE3K. And Jerry wrote probably one of his best scores of the 90s with Disney's MULAN.

Isn't Williams still working with Walt Dis....Steven Spielberg????

OMG! :lol: You're right! I will have to look up who is this Alan Silvestri and what are his best soundtracks.

Mousehunt is my favorite by Silvestri.

It's weird, because I've been seeing a lot of things online that say "Forrest Gump" was scored by JW. I've dismissed them as typos, but I wonder if there is some weird rumor going around that JW scored Gump.

I do believe JW did score Back to the Future and The Legend of Zelda though. :thumbup:

Least we not forget that Johnny used Disney's "When you wish upon a star" song quote in CE3K.

Isnt that an NorthAmerican popular song?

(Made worldwide popular thanks to Pinocchio)

Or i'm worng...

I do believe JW did score Back to the Future and The Legend of Zelda though. :thumbup:

Oh yes, and a what a genius work those were! :)

Do you think IMDB reports everything ?

Mr Williams turned down a great number of films because of various reasons (scheduling conflict, creative differences, studio executives "decisions"...) etc...

Scrooged, The Swarm, Out of Africa, Titanic, Powder, Bridges of Madison County, Bicentennial Man, Meteor, Superman II, Quintet, Heaven's Gate, the Deep, Double, Wolf, Inchon....

It happens everyday in the film music business.

Of course it doesn't report everything. It only reports the information about the films and and listing the cast, the crew and the production and all that. But that wasn't the point really. I mean, you're saying that he was linked to this film called "THE BLACK CAULDRON" in the mid eighties as if you saying the he was part of that film or doing the score for that film back then but the fact he wasn't. You were probably just reading fake rumors or false information back then that he was linked to that film...

By the way John Williams left the Superman series. But he still credited for every other sequel films that he left for the other composers to use his themes...

By the way John Williams left the Superman series. But he still credited for every other sequel films that he left for the other composers to use his themes...

Yes but he only mentioned II, Williams was in as long as Donner was, and we know Salskin (the producer) said Williams had said to him ' I cant work with this man' when he met the new Director.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and destroy every shred of decent credibility I have to REEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLY stretch the truth.

The argument is not that JW hasn't scored a Disney film, which he has, he has not scored a Disney cartoon.

Before you say that I'm crazy and should go away for another four years, hear me out.

All the original Star Wars films had their share of...how to say it, fake actors. That is to say, characters who were not people in costumes, nor had we reached the point of CGI wizardry, which wouldn't hit until Tron and Willow some time later. Star Wars had fabulous masks inside the cantina, but The Empire Strikes Back introduced us to Yoda, who was basically a Muppet under the control of Frank Oz. Return of the Jedi took it to all new high with the return of Yoda, but also dozens of new creatures seen in Jabba's summer home and on the Khetanna, and also Jabba himself. So many puppets made the cut for Jedi, that many consider Return of the Jedi to be the Muppet movie of the Star Wars trilogy. Muppet and Ewok movie, that's it.

A-ha, John Williams scored a Muppet movie! But weren't the Muppets purchased recently by The Walt Disney company?

John Williams scored not 1, but 2 Disney movies!

I rest my case, good night, godspeed Spiderman, and seeya later.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and destroy every shred of decent credibility I have to REEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLY stretch the truth.

The argument is not that JW hasn't scored a Disney film, which he has, he has not scored a Disney cartoon.

Before you say that I'm crazy and should go away for another four years, hear me out.

All the original Star Wars films had their share of...how to say it, fake actors. That is to say, characters who were not people in costumes, nor had we reached the point of CGI wizardry, which wouldn't hit until Tron and Willow some time later. Star Wars had fabulous masks inside the cantina, but The Empire Strikes Back introduced us to Yoda, who was basically a Muppet under the control of Frank Oz. Return of the Jedi took it to all new high with the return of Yoda, but also dozens of new creatures seen in Jabba's summer home and on the Khetanna, and also Jabba himself. So many puppets made the cut for Jedi, that many consider Return of the Jedi to be the Muppet movie of the Star Wars trilogy. Muppet and Ewok movie, that's it.

A-ha, John Williams scored a Muppet movie! But weren't the Muppets purchased recently by The Walt Disney company?

I rest my case, good night, godspeed Spiderman, and seeya later.

The Star Wars trilogy is not a merry, sing-a-long, everyone-lives-happily-ever-after, your-true-power-lies-in-your-heart type of movie, like Disney movies. That doesn't count.

I highly doubt Disney owns the rights of any SW Puppet.

Even if Frank Oz made them.

Is this what what Darth Wojo is saying....that those puppets from Star Wars Trilogy is from Disney for lucasfilm??? <_<

Yes but he only mentioned II, Williams was in as long as Donner was, and we know Salskin (the producer) said Williams had said to him ' I cant work with this man' when he met the new Director.
thank you for your help in precising details of the story ! Additional (old) news about the superman series, Mr Williams wrote new material for SUPERMAN IV, adapted by Alexander Courage. The topic was already discussed.
Do you think IMDB reports everything ?Mr Williams turned down a great number of films because of various reasons (scheduling conflict, creative differences, studio executives "decisions"...) etc...Scrooged, The Swarm, Out of Africa, Titanic, Powder, Bridges of Madison County, Bicentennial Man, Meteor, Superman II, Quintet, Heaven's Gate, the Deep, Double, Wolf, Inchon....It happens everyday in the film music business.
Of course it doesn't report everything. It only reports the information about the films and and listing the cast, the crew and the production and all that. But that wasn't the point really.
I thought it was....