What's the most amount of $ you've spent on a soundtrack?

indy4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got ToD for 75$ and Spacecamp for 50$ back in the days(I got them at a regular store)

Hook Concorde boot was 40$

I also paid about 40$ for the first Poseidon Adventure and 1941 bootlegs.In the mid 90's before the internet you had to look at classified adds in music magazines to find (maybe) bootlegs.It was complicated but getting something like Poseidon Adventure was like finding a real treasure

I got my Witches of Eastwick for 7,99$ in a discount bin back in 1990

Well I'm sure QMM will pipe in...... :)

The most I've spent was $129.95 for the Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox boxed set when it was released. I paid $99.95 each for the Godzilla Perfect Boxed sets.

Being a fan of Akira Ifukube means I've had to shell out some cash for imports, $30.00 to $70.00, depending on whether it's a single or double and condition of the disc.

There have been a few out of print scores that I've paid $40.00 to $75.00 for, but they are ones I really wanted and have no problem because they get plenty of listens.

I found The Witches Of Eastwick for $4.99 in the used section at Hastings.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1995 re-issue

2002, regular store, new. 20.99 €

Or course 2 CD editions (SW SE's, Superman) cost more, but that the regular prize... (24-26 €) and they were not OOP

$150 was the most I've spent on a CD and that was for the Varese edition of Predator (sealed too at the time!). I got reamed a new one because of it here on the forum :) back then which I don't know why since it was my choice and my money. I thought it was well worth the money.

Thank god you didn't win it because it's a fake.

The only legit releases are a re-recording done by Varese and the original MCA release that contains 2 cues from the film as well as songs.

You can still buy those in stores.

My friend's mom, knowing he was a Williams fan, bought the ToD boot/DVD-rip on e-bay for like $100, not really understanding what it was...I was so shocked when I heard about it, and couldn't bring myself to beak the bad news to them since it was already over and done with.

Ray Barnsbury

70 something bucks for the complete FotR. I found a much better deal when TTT came out. Fortunately I've never had to pay a large amount of money for something rare, I've gotten all of that through trades (though of course that means I've gotten CD-Rs, not pressed copies).

I think 43 euros for ToD. Everything else was way below 40 euros... luckily! Of course I am not counting box sets here such as the elmer bernstein film music collection which would be the most expensive release in my collection at a buying price of roughly 160 euros. But this is more a collection and not a single soundtrack so it does not count.

Ok, I think I have you all beat. I paid $165 for a Japanese CD of Spacecamp. I'm not ashamed because I love the score, I'm proud to own an original, and I'd just gone through a nasty break-up at the time and needed something to cheer myself up.

I paid 60 uk pounds (around $100) for the Irwin Allen box set.

$40 for The Accidental Tourist.

I paid through the nose for the Star Wars trilogy 1997 double CDs because they cost a FORTUNE new in the UK on their original release. Star Wars and Empire cost about 35 pounds each (about $60), and Jedi was a bit more, maybe 40 pounds ($65?). It was riiculously expensive in the UK, and makes me spit now you can get exactly the same music repackaged for about 15 dollars per set! Mind you, the originals were on laser-etched CDs which looked very nice. Even so...

Now I will resort to D/L before shelling out 1cent for a bootleg
Amen! May we never get burned again.
Just a question: How much is the Vinyl LP of Superman: The Movie worth these days?
There's a set up for auction on Ebay for $5.99 USD, with no bidders.

On the subject, I just bought online the cd "Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith" for $11. I love Goldsmith, so it doesn't quite matter, but, was that a good price (IOW, is this particular cd a must-have)?

On the subject, I just bought online the cd "Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith" for $11. I love Goldsmith, so it doesn't quite matter, but, was that a good price (IOW, is this particular cd a must-have)?

Actually, that was my first exposure to Goldsmith (though I really haven't obtained more than a few scores since). At least from my Goldsmith-lacking point of view, it's a great album. I love the suites from Lionheart and Macarthur/Patton especially.

Ray Barnsbury

Just a question: How much is the Vinyl LP of Superman: The Movie worth these days?

Here's a link to amazon w/ that cd:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsmith-Conducts-J...9422&sr=8-1

Apparently, you paid about average...a little bit lower for a new CD, a little bit more for a used one.

On another note, the only Goldsmith I have is ST:TMP, Planet of the Apes, and Soarin' (from the ride in California Adventures). I realize how popular he is among fans of film music, and I've been wanting to hear more from him, and expand my collection. Would this be a good CD to buy to introduce me to more of his music? Is it good sound quality, and good selections?

Apparently, you paid about average...a little bit lower for a new CD, a little bit more for a used one.

On another note, the only Goldsmith I have is ST:TMP, Planet of the Apes, and Soarin' (from the ride in California Adventures). I realize how popular he is among fans of film music, and I've been wanting to hear more from him, and expand my collection. Would this be a good CD to buy to introduce me to more of his music? Is it good sound quality, and good selections?

Well, I just ordered it, so once I listen I'll let you know. Judging from the comments from that link, it's gonna be pretty good.

I have a pretty good-sized chunk of stuff from him (which still doesn't scratch the surface, since he was so prolific), and there's one cd of re-recordings that he conducted called Frontiers that is a particular favorite of mine. There's one cue from ST:TMP, none from PoTA,so there's plenty of other things to sample there.

Well, I just ordered it, so once I listen I'll let you know. Judging from the comments from that link, it's gonna be pretty good.

I have a pretty good-sized chunk of stuff from him (which still doesn't scratch the surface, since he was so prolific), and there's one cd of re-recordings that he conducted called Frontiers that is a particular favorite of mine. There's one cue from ST:TMP, none from PoTA,so there's plenty of other things to sample there.

Alright, thanks! I like ST:TMP a lot more that PoTA, too. My favorite of his cues is probably Soarin', which isn't even from a movie.

I have that CD. It is alone worth the crisply recorded Blue Max stuff. It's barely a scratch in his body of work, but it should be a good investment if you don't have much from him...

Goldsmith's other Star Trek scores are also good to have. One in particular for Goldsmith that I am really fond of is The Mummy. You can get the OST for that and the Region 1 DVD and record the isolated score (which is in the language menu).

Goldsmith's other Star Trek scores are also good to have. One in particular for Goldsmith that I am really fond of is The Mummy. You can get the OST for that and the Region 1 DVD and record the isolated score (which is in the language menu).
Is the isolated score considerably different than the retail version?
I have that CD. It is alone worth the crisply recorded Blue Max stuff. It's barely a scratch in his body of work, but it should be a good investment if you don't have much from him...
The Blue Max stuff was the main reason I picked it up, since I own the original "canned" sounding cd. You know, like how Patton and Planet of the Apes sounded.... did Goldsmith ever re-record any stuff from PoTA?

Is the isolated score considerably different than the retail version?

VERY different...considering it's the complete score.

All though if I were you I'd replace the cues, "Giza Port", "Night Boarders", "Discoveries", "My Favorite Plague", "Rebirth" and "The Mummy" with their album versions since those cues on the album is unedited. Oh I would edit in the opening strings for "My Favorite Plague" however from the DVD isolated score since it's missing on the album.

Hmm strangely enough the most expensive Soundtrack I've purchased wasn't a rare one at all. it was the Complete Recording of the fellowship of the ring.. for I think 65€

TOD which seems to go away rather expensive through ebay etc. was available for purchase on Amazon.de Marcetplace for 25€.

My friend's mom, knowing he was a Williams fan, bought the ToD boot/DVD-rip on e-bay for like $100, not really understanding what it was...I was so shocked when I heard about it, and couldn't bring myself to beak the bad news to them since it was already over and done with.

Ray Barnsbury

Ouch!

At the other end of the rainbow, the least I have paid for a brand-new, sealed CD so far is 0.67 euros = $0.90.

This was for Les Thibaut, a French made-for-TV movie (mini-series, actually, I believe) which, like so many other movies whose score I have, I have never seen.

A discount site was having one of their numerous sales; they hardly have anything worth on their soundtracks section, which mostly comprises song albums.

The music turned out to be very good.

The amount paid in the end was a bit more, since I also ordered 4 3 DVDs (ranging from 5 to 10 euros, including 2 2-disc SEs-- 25.63 euros in all.

;)

At the other end of the rainbow, the least I have paid for a brand-new, sealed CD so far is 0.67 euros = $0.90.

This was for Les Thibaut, a French made-for-TV movie (mini-series, actually, I believe) which, like so many other movies whose score I have, I have never seen.

A discount site was having one of their numerous sales; they hardly have anything worth on their soundtracks section, which mostly comprises song albums.

The music turned out to be very good.

The amount paid in the end was a bit more, since I also ordered 4 3 DVDs (ranging from 5 to 10 euros, including 2 2-disc SEs-- 25.63 euros in all.

;)

The other day I paid only 99 cents of an euro for the great Diamonds Collection (a compilation of Marilyn Monroe connected music, lots of Al Newman in there).

As for the most expensive, I don't recall... maybe the Hook concorde boot, but don't remember exactly how much I paid for it. I remember paying US$40 for the 1941 boot.

I paid through the nose for the Star Wars trilogy 1997 double CDs because they cost a FORTUNE new in the UK on their original release. Star Wars and Empire cost about 35 pounds each (about $60), and Jedi was a bit more, maybe 40 pounds ($65?). It was riiculously expensive in the UK, and makes me spit now you can get exactly the same music repackaged for about 15 dollars per set! Mind you, the originals were on laser-etched CDs which looked very nice. Even so...

Wow, that's high. I paid $19.95 for each original set. I remember when the anthology was released, I paid $29.95 for that.

Wow, that's high. I paid $19.95 for each original set. I remember when the anthology was released, I paid $29.95 for that.

Back in 1997, the 'book' versions costed the same as UK here too. I saw Empire to cost 8995 or 9995 pesetas (50-60 €)

The Jewel case ones released later had regular prices.

$45 on a used copy of October Sky (on eBay). Burnt it and then sold it on ebay for $55. Hey, I made some money in the end and got the soundtrack. Later that day I found a brand new copy of Back to the Future II by Alan Silvestri for $5 (ebay's Buy it Now).