What's the most amount of $ you've spent on a soundtrack?

indy4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to get totally screwed when I first really got into scores, actually buying boots, before I discovered the much friendlier world of trading.

But the most expensive score I ever bought was a legitimate one. I got a copy of Conan the Barbarian (Varese) on Ebay for $45. It's steep, but I love that score and feel like a dork not having a pressed copy. And I had the money a the time!

I never bougth anything extremely expensive. Maybe 50-60 Euros or something.

But decent prize: Once my Summon the Heroes was ruined by few scratches and I went to shop to buy a new one.

There was big sale-box full of that CD : 0,99 Euros each. I went grazy and took 4.

$16? You must be a successful doctor or something!

I don't believe in the inflated figures called CD prices these days :lol:

But seriously, I've been lucky with finding rare-ish CDs on ebay very cheaply - Twister & The Edge for £5 each. The LotR Complete Recordings are an exception, for which I can almost, almost forgive whatever label they're on.

I sold a piece of my soul when I bought Klaus Badelt's Pirates of The Caribbean instead of Vangelis' Blade Runner.

I remember that horrible moment very vividly.

I have that CD. It is alone worth the crisply recorded Blue Max stuff. It's barely a scratch in his body of work, but it should be a good investment if you don't have much from him...

Okay, thanks!

I sold a piece of my soul when I bought Klaus Badelt's Pirates of The Caribbean instead of Vangelis' Blade Runner.

Are you saying that CD is a.....horcrux??

Ray Barnsbury

It can only be destroyed by John Williams' tears.

And they're not easy to come by. You have keep him still in front of an Attack of the Clones DVD playing, and be ready to collect.

If that doesn't work, go all the way and hum the main theme from The Color Purple.

I paid through the nose for the Star Wars trilogy 1997 double CDs because they cost a FORTUNE new in the UK on their original release. Star Wars and Empire cost about 35 pounds each (about $60), and Jedi was a bit more, maybe 40 pounds ($65?). It was riiculously expensive in the UK, and makes me spit now you can get exactly the same music repackaged for about 15 dollars per set! Mind you, the originals were on laser-etched CDs which looked very nice. Even so...

Wow, that's high. I paid $19.95 for each original set. I remember when the anthology was released, I paid $29.95 for that.

Back in 1997, the 'book' versions costed the same as UK here too. I saw Empire to cost 8995 or 9995 pesetas (50-60 €)

The Jewel case ones released later had regular prices.

I bought the Star Wars book version during a trip to Madrid by early 97 -- I think I got it at MadridRock -- for about 6000 pesetas.

The others I got back in Portugal, and they were on the same price range. The plastic case ones, were a little less.

It can only be destroyed by John Williams' tears.

And they're not easy to come by. You have keep him still in front of an Attack of the Clones DVD playing, and be ready to collect.

If that doesn't work, go all the way and hum the main theme from The Color Purple.

The best thing that happened to The Color Purple was Williams' arrangement of the Main Theme for violin and orchestra.

Alternatively, play them the last two Harry Potter scores. Even I can't sit through them without crying over what Doyle and Hooper made of Williams' music.

Some of the more expensive cds were all Goldsmith:

Raggedy Man Varese Club - $90

Boys from Brazil Varese Club - $250

Link Varese Club - $150

Psycho II - $100

Williams:

Spacecamp - $75

.. at the time I was buying these I was, financially, in a great place. High income, no rent/mortgage, living alone..... I had the money!

Now, is another story! :)

I paid through the nose for the Star Wars trilogy 1997 double CDs because they cost a FORTUNE new in the UK on their original release. Star Wars and Empire cost about 35 pounds each (about $60), and Jedi was a bit more, maybe 40 pounds ($65?). It was riiculously expensive in the UK, and makes me spit now you can get exactly the same music repackaged for about 15 dollars per set! Mind you, the originals were on laser-etched CDs which looked very nice. Even so...

Wow, that's high. I paid $19.95 for each original set. I remember when the anthology was released, I paid $29.95 for that.

Back in 1997, the 'book' versions costed the same as UK here too. I saw Empire to cost 8995 or 9995 pesetas (50-60 €)

The Jewel case ones released later had regular prices.

I bought the Star Wars book version during a trip to Madrid by early 97 -- I think I got it at MadridRock -- for about 6000 pesetas.

The others I got back in Portugal, and they were on the same price range. The plastic case ones, were a little less.

My price was from 'El Corte Ingles' :)

Yeah, I could sure use that info right about now...

Ray Barnsbury

Same here I'd like to know how that one works too.

I mean hell I live with my parents but I pay them $300 a month for rent and still gotta pay my bills...

That's because a lot of American families are units and not families. It's not about the family, it's about the cost of living. :)

Heck Vosk has to pay rent to live with his own parents. Taking care of your expenses is one thing...but that's just sad.

I don't mind paying my parents rent. My parents love all their sons (even me) and they do let em' stay here if they need to. As I said I can't afford to live out on my own right now and plus my mom needs someone home to help her during the days while my dad works since she has a hard time getting around and doing things.

If my dad were to kick me out, it would be to show me the real world and such (to teach a lesson) more than about money.

That's because a lot of American families are units and not families. It's not about the family, it's about the cost of living. :P

That's some what true but a lot of us American's are actual families... I know mine is...

Well you just made it sound like your parents demanded the rent from you...so I'm like...what if you just needed some place to say?

But then again, my parents allowed me to live with them all through college, and they many times even paid for gas for my car, right until I got married. I focused on my job part time and on my education.

I didn't see it as an opportunity to sit by and get spoiled, I used it as an opportunity to save up a financial empire and gear up for the real world.

Now I still visit my parents or they visit the wife and I at our house at least once a week or two, and if they ever need anything, I'm there, and if not we're e-mailing or keeping in touch.

As Don Corleone said...family is the most important thing.

My spending habits were entirely different before I met Michele and I do not miss those habits at all. I am happier now, not being able to afford these cds... then when I was spending the money on them. I'd rather save up for vacation now.

And the rent situation that I was in was unique. I was put in charge of my Grandparents old house, which no longer had a mortgage on it, keeping it in good shape, fixing things if they broke, and just maintaining the property. I was going to buy it eventually, but it was a small house and this was before I met Michele. It was too small of a house for the two of us, and due to some zoning regulations in my state, we were only able to expand the house out by 20% (the house was only 600 square feet), and the fact that the foundation was too old to build up (over 80 years old), we decided it would be best to move (we were married by then).

So now I basically just buy the ltds that get released (Varese, Intrada), and wait until I see the new releases that I want in some used bin somewhere.

And I couldn't be happier.

.... gives me time to listen to what I already have!

Oh, and Red Rabbit, I'm 31.

Yeah it's amazing how a love life can change ones spending habits. :P

If anything it's made me pinch pennies even more, just for an extra vacation to France or something. ;)

.... gives me time to listen to what I already have!

Exactly!

Brits can be families as well :P

My brother just turned 25 and still lives at home. I'm 22 and was very relieved at the job I recently got specifically because it means I don't have to move out.

I guess my brother hasn't moved out because there isn't exactly any need to yet, plus the money that saves allows him to buy lots of stuff... he currently has 3 game consoles, a set of decks and only last week an HD TV. I keep reminding him that my laptop kicks his desktop's ass however ;)

But then again, my parents allowed me to live with them all through college, and they many times even paid for gas for my car, right until I got married. I focused on my job part time and on my education.

I didn't see it as an opportunity to sit by and get spoiled, I used it as an opportunity to save up a financial empire and gear up for the real world.

Now I still visit my parents or they visit the wife and I at our house at least once a week or two, and if they ever need anything, I'm there, and if not we're e-mailing or keeping in touch.

As Don Corleone said...family is the most important thing.

That's great, I had pretty much the same thing. My parents were seperated by then, but my dad paid for college and I lived on campus and with my mom on vacations. Then my mom and I moved back to Texas together and she let me stay with her rent free while living in Round Rock (Austin) while I was trying to get my life together. Then when I decided to move to San Angelo, my family that lives here (aunt and uncle that I've always been close with, and 16 year old cousin that is now one of my absolute closest friends) were over like a shot to help me with everything, from the physical moving to finding accomodations (I've been renting from a family friend the last two years, sweet deal). And my mom still lives just outside of Austin (about 4 hours away), one of us is visiting the others' town at least 5-6 times a year. There are some places where familes still do work.

I've been paying my parents rent since I graduated high school. I've also been paying my own bills since about that time too. I'm just taking real world responsibilities is all. Yes my parents let me live with them but I don't leech off of them. The $300 I pay for rent they take that and put towards some of their bills and as I said I don't mind helping my parents out at all.

I definitely understand the family closeness thing, but also the need to help your parents out if you're going to be living with them as an adult! I'm now in the process of finding my own apartment, which is definitely exciting. I've lived on campus every year during college, but always came back home for breaks and summers. It's nice to be living among family and not having to worry about things like rent, but I'm really feeling the need to step out on my own lately...I just need to have my own place, with no one to answer to, as an adult. Not that the parents are a nuisance or anything, but it's definitely an adjustment living at home after having been away to school...I'm sure those who have experienced it can attest to that.

Ray Barnsbury

I once bid roughly $250 on The Poseidon Adventure/The Paper Chase sealed, luckily I was outbid cause I regretted it the minute I hit "place bid". It sold for over $300. Good thing I had a great friend to send me his extra copy of it.

Then I once bid $100 for a pressed bootleg of The Sugarland Express, but I was outbid. That bidder dropped out or something and it was offered to me again, but I realized a hundred bucks is a lot for music I already have, so I passed.

Other than those the most I've actually paid was probably around $40 for the Star Wars Trilogy box set. My John Williams collection is almost complete. All I have left are the rarities, such as Earthquake, Jaws 2, Temple Of Doom, Accidental Tourist, and SpaceCamp. I have the music, so $90 each doesn't seem right just for the actual CD. I'm also hoping the Idiana Jones trilogy will be re-released with Indy IV, I heard George Lucas is working on making that happen.

I'm also hoping the Idiana Jones trilogy will be re-released with Indy IV, I heard George Lucas is working on making that happen.

were did you hear that?

My brother recently turned 31 and still live at my parents. He pays all of his personal bills and buy some of his favorite food, but overall grocering is suported by my parents, and he pays no rent.

I'm leaving alone, and while I have to pay for the apartment rent, my parents drop in every now and then, and even bring stuff for me -- just yesterday my dad poped in with a new center table, and helped me intaling some lights.