• Across the Stars

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Imperial March is!

Morn - Who doesn't think Across the Stars is anything special

Across the Stars now and always.

After the Imperial March and the Force Theme, it's my favorite theme from the saga. Oh, crap there's Duel of the Fates and Anakin's theme too. :roll: Ah, well, they're all very good.

--ROSS who's been asked and doesn't know who painted his avatar and would like to know

What is it supposed to be?  

~Harry

What, the avatar?

It's a boy. Only it's blue. I liked it because it reminds of a drawing I made when I was 4. Only I forgot where I got it from and now I really wanna know. Oh well.

-ROSS, who hopes Harry meant his avatar otherwise he's just typed a useless post.

~Harry

What, the avatar?

It's a boy. Only it's blue. I liked it because it reminds of a drawing I made when I was 4. Only I forgot where I got it from and now I really wanna know. Oh well.

-ROSS, who hopes Harry meant his avatar otherwise he's just typed a useless post.

Yes, I meant your avatar! It's very interesting!

~Harry

"Across The Stars" is freakin' phenomenal.

Dan - who played that on his piano last night and now has to leave.

Goodbye  :)

Do you have sheet music for it?!?! If you do, you need to contact me!

~Harry

Both love themes segue into the end titles in ESB and AOTC. As the end of ESB has to be one of the most exciting moments in film music history, I will go with Han and Leia's theme over Across the Stars. Although I agree with an earlier post - Luke and Leia's theme is one of the nicest. Does anyone think this theme might be used when the twins are born in Episode III? The theme has a child-like innocence to it so maybe it's possible!

Across the Stars. I never really warmed up to Han and Leia as much as the others. I don;t know why, I like it, but I never Loved it.

IMO, TESB is the finest score ever recorded. At least of every Williams score ever made. The astonishing acheievement of creating three top-notch themes and dozens of equally impressive set peices in that work is truly amazing. And the fact that all three of those themes are SO versatile.

In that regard, although Han & The Princess isn't as "featured" as Across The Stars, and although ATC is a brilliant theme, I'll take Han & Leia.

-Chris

No, Harry, I don't have sheet music, I just sat down and figured it out.

Dan - still preferring "Across the Stars" over "Han Solo and the Princess"

• 3 years later...

Whenever my boyfriend calls, Han and Lea plays, but I personally love Across the Stars. I have to admit, it does have a statement of a "modulating" I believe the term is, part of something from my favourite movie score ever--A.I.--more specifically, Abandoned in the Woods, in it... but that's ok lol...

I actually use to joke around that if you asked John Williams what Love was, he'd say 12/8 lol...

~Harry

What, the avatar?

It's a boy. Only it's blue. I liked it because it reminds of a drawing I made when I was 4. Only I forgot where I got it from and now I really wanna know.

It is, or it looks very like, the picture from the cover of one version of the sheet music for Oliver!

Oh yeah and I voted "Han Solo and the Princess". I really don't see what's so great about "Across the Stars". It's boring IMO.

I love Han and the Princess, but I have to go with Across the Stars. I felt so so about it at first until I saw it performed live at the Boston Pops in 2002. It also has some special meaning for me as my wife surprised me on our wedding day by coming down the aisle to this. It was weird because she kept saying she wanted to use the Wedding March which I found suspicious because she usually goes for the unconventional choices. At any rate, roughly two minutes or so was performed by a harp soloist. Needless to say, I was quite shocked when I realized what it was. We had a string quartet that I of course knew about, but everyone was worried I would see the harp in the corner before the ceremony. Luckily I was too darn nervous to notice anything else.

We also used Binary Sunset for myself and the groomsmen as well as The Throne Room being the processional music. What was so cool was the amount of people that said they didn't know what to expect when they saw all the Star Wars selections in the bulletin, but were pleasantly surprised when they actually heard them incorporated into the ceremony.

"Han Solo and the Princess" is an excellent theme, but it's too similar to Leia's theme.

I always though "Han Solo and the Princess" was incredibly similar to "Marion's Theme" from Raiders. Don't know why... :mrgreen:

I always thought they were simlar if not the same... I never really listened to Han and Lea...

Is there even an arrangement of that like there is for Lea? because the only han and lea theme I have is str8 in the score when C3PO interrupts them if memory serves...

And yes, very similar to Marians theme...

Is there even an arrangement of that like there is for Lea? because the only han and lea theme I have is str8 in the score when C3PO interrupts them if memory serves...

It's still staggering to me to see how many people don't have a cleu about the existance of the Han Solo & The Princess concert version.

And yes, very similar to Marians theme...

Mr Schedenig has his own theme???

It is, or it looks very like, the picture from the cover of one version of the sheet music for Oliver!

Yes, I figured that out some time ago. Here, we call him Freaky Blue Kid, anyway.

-Ross, reborn into a new, glorious age.

Please, tar and feather me because I spelt it with an "a" instead of an "o."

Also, I tend to only have John Williams scores... I don't have any of the other recordings really... and since, it's not on the score's... I don't have it...

Don't act so surprised... :roll:

It's still staggering to me to see how many people don't have a cleu about the existance of the Han Solo & The Princess concert version.

I'm one of those. I mean I know it's out there, but haven't heard it yet. Where would one go to find this?

I'd say Han & Leia is similar to Marion's theme which is similar to Leia's theme.

For some reason, I have always found the 'b' portion of Indy's theme to be quite similar to the Superman love theme.

I'm one of those.  I mean I know it's out there, but haven't heard it yet.  Where would one go to find this?

The best recording out there is the one by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra for their recording of The Empire Strikes Back availeble on a Varese CD.

The best recording out there is the one by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra for their recording of The Empire Strikes Back availeble on a Varese CD.

One thing that has always bothered me... Are these concert versions (like Han Solo and the Princess, The Throne Room, Here They Come, The Final Battle, Jabba the Hutt, etc.) composed by John Williams while writing the score OR composed by Charles Gerhardt from themes by JW after the score has been released?