Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith

Josh500

I just watched Poltergeist for the first time a few weeks ago. It was a very classy affair with great production values but I felt that the tone wasn't quite right. In my mind it couldn't quite decide whether it wanted to be a horror film or a comedy. For my tastes, a story like this needs to be really chilling but so much of its content was absurd, farcical and camp. Goldsmith's score was perfectly serviceable from recollection with a personal highlight being that very E.T. sounding energetic string passage from the opening, where the kids trip up the boozer on the bicycle. 1980s US suburbia at its best. Loved it.

CYPHER

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Poltergeist for the first time a few weeks ago. It was a very classy affair with great production values but I felt that the tone wasn't quite right. In my mind it couldn't quite decide whether it wanted to be a horror film or a comedy. For my tastes, a story like this needs to be really chilling but so much of its content was absurd, farcical and camp. Goldsmith's score was perfectly serviceable from recollection with a personal highlight being that very E.T. sounding energetic string passage from the opening, where the kids trip up the boozer on the bicycle. 1980s US suburbia at its best. Loved it.

CYPHER

It has a mix of humor and horror, like JAWS. It's very early Spielbergian with the ordinary people in extraordinary situations, comedy relief to lighten the tension and contrast.

I found OMEN DELUXE SCORE for 8.50 Euros. Who thinks I should get it?

I do! It's a fantastic score, intense in places but also incredibly beautiful. You won't find many who think The Omen is JG's single greatest work (as the Academy seemed to), but it's still wonderful. I particularly like the love theme. And the "Deluxe Edition" has the nearly complete score. If you like it, get the other two - Damien: Omen II and The Final Conflict. Actually, get The Final Conflict even if you don't like The Omen, it's totally different. Omen II is actually my favourite of the three, but it's based heavily on material from the first score, which I'd recommend buying first.

another misconception. The Academy simply gave it the oscar for 76, that isn't crowning it the best JG ever. It was just soley against the competition of 76

I particularly like the love theme. And the "Deluxe Edition" has the nearly complete score.

There's still plenty missing, most notably the synth stuff in the beginning of the film that Goldsmith probably didn't compose....

I like the second score better, but I know what most other people on this board think of it so I'll stop right there. :happybday:

GOD! IS! IN! HIS! HOOOOOOOLY! TEMPLE!......GOD! IS! IN! HIS! HOOOOOOOLY! TEMPLE!......;)