October: Music of Star Wars - 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

DigitalfreakNYC

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Please tell us that YOU FOUND THE EMPIRE MASTER TAPES*

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Temple of Doom masters?

Personally, I smell pointless compilation. And even if they are complete releases it's Sony, which means that we'll still be waiting years for proper ones anyway.

Those releases won't bring anything new, except a new cover.

Why should they? For some very strange reason, the DVD releases of the original movies last December didn't sell very well, which proves once and for all that people aren't interested in anything concerning the old trilogy, doesn't it?

Sarcasm off.

What's the deal w/ the "complete" Phantom Menace release, anyways? I've never liked it as much as the original soundtrack, but is there actually music JW wrote that wasn't released in it?

*Please tell us that YOU FOUND THE EMPIRE MASTER TAPES*

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Temple of Doom masters?

Personally, I smell pointless compilation. And even if they are complete releases it's Sony, which means that we'll still be waiting years for proper ones anyway.

I might be mixing it up, although I do recall hearing about Empire's tapes not showing up until late into the process for the Anthology. Do you mean to tell me that Risner did THAT bad of a job with the actual master tapes? Oh my.

Now, a discovery of the ToD master tapes and a complete release, now THAT would be an announcement!

What's the deal w/ the "complete" Phantom Menace release, anyways? I've never liked it as much as the original soundtrack, but is there actually music JW wrote that wasn't released in it?

Yes. The "Ultimate Edition" has the score as it appears in the film. Exactly. Note for note, with every horrid edit and omission of cues and parts of cues Williams wrote before the bevy of last second editing. This is probably the best place to start on getting up to speed.

Yes. The "Ultimate Edition" has the score as it appears in the film. Exactly. Note for note, with every horrid edit and omission of cues and parts of cues Williams wrote before the bevy of last second editing. This is probably the best place to start on getting up to speed.

Don't forget GoodMusician's awesome complete edit!

Don't you think that if a comprehensive full-score collection was happening that starwars.com would make a big deal out of it? Instead all we get is some inventory item buried in a list on the Norwegian Sony/BMG site. This is probably a compilation being released to the European market, and I bet the list is inaccurate and that it's actually "The Corellian Edition" being retitled "The Music of STAR WARS: 30th Anniversary Collection." The idea that there is some massive 12-disc set coming based on this alone is ludicrous.

Good point

A Collectors' Edition? Who are the collectors anyway? Since it concerns John Williams' music, one might assume that WE are supposed to be those "collectors", right? Would be interesting if it would actually BE what they advert it to be for a change: An edition of the Star Wars scores to satisfy the "COLLECTORS", also known as "US".

Don't you think that if a comprehensive full-score collection was happening that starwars.com would make a big deal out of it? Instead all we get is some inventory item buried in a list on the Norwegian Sony/BMG site. This is probably a compilation being released to the European market, and I bet the list is inaccurate and that it's actually "The Corellian Edition" being retitled "The Music of STAR WARS: 30th Anniversary Collection." The idea that there is some massive 12-disc set coming based on this alone is ludicrous.

Exactly. This is "The Music of Star Wars", a type of title that is really only associated with compilations.

Not to mention we shoudl have heard something earlier if this is a big complete series release.

Not to mention this company has a habit of re-releasing the same damn thing over and over.

The only indication that this could be a complete release is the word "Collection" in the title. But then again that could merely mean the collection of sample tracks put on a single disc.

We will be disappointed again.

A Collectors' Edition? Who are the collectors anyway? Since it concerns John Williams' music, one might assume that WE are supposed to be those "collectors", right? Would be interesting if it would actually BE what they advert it to be for a change: An edition of the Star Wars scores to satisfy the "COLLECTORS", also known as "US".

It isn't just Sony that might do stuff like that. Take the press releases for the LotR: CRs. Do those marketing people realise that the vast majority of people buying them will be fans of the score just like us, and therefore do not need to be told how many awards it won, what the music executive thinks of the music, how many gazillions of $$ they made from the first one.

Excuse that rant - I hate PR and marketing people.

Yes. The "Ultimate Edition" has the score as it appears in the film. Exactly. Note for note, with every horrid edit and omission of cues and parts of cues Williams wrote before the bevy of last second editing.

Actually, this isn't totally accurate. For the UE, the film version of "Augie's Great Municipal Band" was inexplicably replaced with the album version, denying us what would have been a significant alternate cue. Just a little extra sprinkle of salt in the gaping wound that was that set...

Yes. The "Ultimate Edition" has the score as it appears in the film. Exactly. Note for note, with every horrid edit and omission of cues and parts of cues Williams wrote before the bevy of last second editing.

Actually, this isn't totally accurate. For the UE, the film version of "Augie's Great Municipal Band" was inexplicably replaced with the album version, denying us what would have been a significant alternate cue. Just a little extra sprinkle of salt in the gaping wound that was that set...

Mr. Takis is right about "Augie's Great Municipal Band". I was really disappointed to find out it was the album version instead of the true film version. I think though that was the only cue that wasn't the film version. Everything else was.

Speaking of the so called "Ultimate Edition", it's been two years since I've listened to it. I only listen to my Special Edition these days which is 100x's better than Sony's Crap Edition.

The only silver lining for the UE is that it's possibly the best sounding Williams CD ever.

and it can be the basis for very decent "personnal editions".Remember,No TPM UE,No music period

True, there are a lot of great cues that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. The TPM OST is almost as bad a release, just because so many great cues were left off in favor of the lesser ones.

The TPM OST is almost as bad a release, just because so many great cues were left off in favor of the lesser ones.

In my book, that makes the OST far worse--better to have the vast majority of the music presented in a grievously chopped-up fashion than to have half of the music...also presented in an almost-as-grievously-chopped-up fashion. If I had to wipe one of the two soundtracks from my hard drive, CD collection, and memory, with no chance of ever hearing it again, I'd pick the OST in a flash. The UE has plenty of problems, but it's a vastly superior release just because so much more of the music is there and in superb sound quality.

you think they might do this like LOTR?

I mean...8 discs is great and all... but if it's just a repackage of the SE, then that leaves 2 discs for the prequels... that doesn't work.

Maybe some of the "discs" are really DVD's?

Someone was pointing out that it is the 30th anniversary of the original trilogy... not the prequels so it may not mean the prequels as we have hoped heh...

If it IS just the Original Trilogy, I hope they found the lost Return of the Jedi music lol

EDIT:

Scroll down for the track list for the Corellian Edition Compilation ::rasburry::

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog...p?movieid=68984

You mean pessimism got us wrong this time?

Anyway, 8 CDs for 6 movies (2 hours of music for each) is some weird math. Assuming it's one disc per movie, what's in the other 2?

You mean pessimism got us wrong this time?

Anyway, 8 CDs for 6 movies (2 hours of music for each) is some weird math. Assuming it's one disc per movie, what's in the other 2?

Could this be an anthology kind of release?

the 4 discs from the anthology and new 4 discs for the prequels? (3 movies + bonus material)

The price 90$ doesnt seems to be for a one or two disc compilation...

it should be 12 discs minimum :thumbup:

I mean...8 discs is great and all... but if it's just a repackage of the SE, then that leaves 2 discs for the prequels... that doesn't work.

8 discs could be the repackaged SW SE's + a repackaged TPM: EU.

8 discs could be the repackaged SW SE's + a repackaged TPM: EU.

You're right. Damnit.

Or, what if instead of a complete release for all the discs, we just get "More Music From Attack of the Clones,etc." So those 2 extra discs could just be the music we don't have for AOTC and ROTS. It's weird I know, but crazier things have been done, and I'd be just as happy with that.

My interest is definately piqued. An 8 disc set is way too big for a crappy compilation set, and way too large of an investment for something like that. But then again, it's too short for the whole series. Odd...

EDIT: Now it doesn't say November 7, it says November 6. Also, look at the companies that are producing the CD. Are those the correct companies?

If this is anything other than a repackaging,we have to give them props for keeping it under wraps this long.

It doesn't sound like there's gonna be any unreleased stuff

Not that I'm too optimistic, but what makes you say that? There's 8 discs. There's no reason to re-release (for what, the third time?) the OT SEs plus the TPM UE and totally ignore even a re-release of AOTC and ROTS OSTs. There should be something new on those two discs, it's just a matter of what it'll be I would think.

EDIT: Again I'm curious about the label though. Did CBS/Epic/WTG Records do the other scores?

Sony released all the previous Star Wars scores. It's weird that CBS/Epic/WTG Records as the label producer. Hmm, hell I may just pony up for this 8-Disc set in November to see what it is about. Maybe whoever filled this out got it wrong and it's a 12-CD set. I mean why would Sony/BMG list it on their site but on this the label record is CBS/Epic/WTG?

I think someone screwed up labeling this thing for the record label producer.

Edit: I hope to god this isn't some re-recording thing...like Silva.

I'm going to try not to make any rash judgements with this set. I will merely stay curious and verryy cautiously optimistic because yes, an 8 disc set is a big investment so it must be something special.

Besides, it can't possibly be another repackaging of the OT... that'd just be taking the mick.

I hope not, I (in a very evil way) like how LOTR has those franky beautiful complete score releases where Star Wars doesn't.

Actually no, that's kinda like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face :thumbup:

I'm at odds here. Damn my rabid lotr fanboyism!

Must think Williams, not Lucas. Must think Williams, not Lucas. Must think Williams, not Lucas...

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but perhaps...

SW (ANH) - 2 CD

ESB - 3 CD [sE + Bonus Disc?]

ROTJ - 3 CD [sE + Bonus Disc?]

A two-CD for Star Wars would make sense, after all; they only did record around 90 minutes of music for that, right?

Not that I'm too optimistic, but what makes you say that? There's 8 discs. There's no reason to re-release (for what, the third time?) the OT SEs plus the TPM UE and totally ignore even a re-release of AOTC and ROTS OSTs. There should be something new on those two discs, it's just a matter of what it'll be I would think.

You're right that this set must include some Revenge of the Sith, as it's one of the most popular soundtracks. Unreleased material is another matter completely.

You're right that this set must include some Revenge of the Sith, as it's one of the most popular soundtracks.

No it isn't.

Yes it is.

Uh oh, we've made contradicting definitive statements. One of us must be lying! :thumbup:

I'm betting it's not 8 discs. The label being wrong and the difference in release dates makes me think we shouldn't rely on Amazon for information. 8 is just too weird of a number. Too much for a boring re-release, too few for a complete release.

You're right that this set must include some Revenge of the Sith, as it's one of the most popular soundtracks.

No it isn't.

I didn't say "best."

The label being wrong and the difference in release dates makes me think we shouldn't rely on Amazon for information.

How do we know that the label is wrong? Amazon's release date (and the correction thereof) makes perfect sense (in the US at least).