October: Music of Star Wars - 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

DigitalfreakNYC

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found something about the socalled Corellian Edition....http://sonora.terra.com.br/templates/album...x?idAlbum=18769... but it says 2005? hm.. never knew about that CD.
That CD is leaving out most of the best Star Wars cues!
I looked up Cbs/epic/wtg Records. Guess what? It's Sony in disguise.
Sony probably assumed nobody would buy the CD after the fiasco of the UE.

The real gem that almost everybody wants loud and clear is a UE for AOTC and ROTS. That is the biggest selling point a set like this could have.

I kind of have to disagree with this a bit. What most people want these days for all three prequels especially AOTC and ROTS is the complete intended edition, not a chopped up Phantom Menace duplicate ... or duplicates in this case.

I hate to say but Steef might be correct that this set could be the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edition" repacked in a box set. As I said earlier I'll be ponying up for this set to see what it's about.

I apologize. This is what I meant by UE ... a complete score, not a digital lift of Burtt's edits. Given the feelings towards the TPM UE, calling a complete score a "UE" will naturally bring up distaste and confusion. That said, I suspect Lucasfilm would see the TPM UE as complete and therefore be less likely to release a third TPM soundtrack, compared to AOTC and ROTS.

Which brings me to a question: The alleged UE of AOTC that is claimed to be complete ... what is that? Is it like TPM UE or is it a true complete score? Does anybody actually know?

Heads up!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...1&archive=0

From Musictap.com:

Sony Classical will celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars by releasing several versions of a Star Wars Anniversary collection that includes a single-disc John Williams ‘best of’ grouping of 13 tracks from all 6 Star Wars films and will be called Star Wars: The Corellian Edition. The other version is a Box set containing 8CDs of Star Wars scores including 2CD Expanded Editions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi. Each episode CD will be contained in a gate-fold mini-jackets that are exact replicas of the original LP sleeves. The 30th Anniversary Collector’s Edition 8CD Box will also contain a fold-out poster created specifically for this set, historical notes of the creation of the soundtracks, and 4”x4” four-colour stickers. Whatever your desire is, the Star Wars collection is coming to a galaxy near you (sorry I said that.) The Box arrives on October 8 whilst the single disc Corellian Edition arrives on October 2.

The real gem that almost everybody wants loud and clear is a UE for AOTC and ROTS. That is the biggest selling point a set like this could have.

I kind of have to disagree with this a bit. What most people want these days for all three prequels especially AOTC and ROTS is the complete intended edition, not a chopped up Phantom Menace duplicate ... or duplicates in this case.

I hate to say but Steef might be correct that this set could be the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edition" repacked in a box set. As I said earlier I'll be ponying up for this set to see what it's about.

I apologize. This is what I meant by UE ... a complete score, not a digital lift of Burtt's edits. Given the feelings towards the TPM UE, calling a complete score a "UE" will naturally bring up distaste and confusion. That said, I suspect Lucasfilm would see the TPM UE as complete and therefore be less likely to release a third TPM soundtrack, compared to AOTC and ROTS.

Which brings me to a question: The alleged UE of AOTC that is claimed to be complete ... what is that? Is it like TPM UE or is it a true complete score? Does anybody actually know?

There was little information actually given about it. It wasn't even really official, just that they had put "something" together and were sitting on it.

Heads up!

From Musictap.com:

Sony Classical will celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars by releasing several versions of a Star Wars Anniversary collection that includes a single-disc John Williams ‘best of’ grouping of 13 tracks from all 6 Star Wars films and will be called Star Wars: The Corellian Edition. The other version is a Box set containing 8CDs of Star Wars scores including 2CD Expanded Editions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi. Each episode CD will be contained in a gate-fold mini-jackets that are exact replicas of the original LP sleeves. The 30th Anniversary Collector’s Edition 8CD Box will also contain a fold-out poster created specifically for this set, historical notes of the creation of the soundtracks, and 4”x4” four-colour stickers. Whatever your desire is, the Star Wars collection is coming to a galaxy near you (sorry I said that.) The Box arrives on October 8 whilst the single disc Corellian Edition arrives on October 2.

Still doesn't say what is going to be on the other 2 cd's. Weird.

Have we ruled out the possibility that one of the CDs is the Corellian edition?

Exactly what I was thinking. Possibly the last CD could be interviews/multimedia content?

Ugh if this is infact a repacked OT scores then I dunno...unless they actually remastered the scores properly this time around.

It is weird that they won't say what the other two discs are. I doubt it's the Corellian Edition because that's being released separately. I'm really hoping that the other two discs are unreleased Prequel tracks. I'll still get the set to really see what it is.... things are just too confusing right at this point...

I'm really hoping that the other two discs are unreleased Prequel tracks.

You still hoping?

Were getting nothing new.And since this was THE opportunity to release the prequels properly,were never getting those in our lifetimes.So that's that.Sony will not bother to release them or release the rights to someone else

Maybe someone should upload the RotS boot and send a link to Sony Classical

You still hoping?

were getting nothing new.and since this was THE opportunity to release the prequels properly,were never getting those in our lifetimes.So that's that.

Ya I'm still hoping...but at the same time I'm not holding my breath. I agree this was the opportunity to release the Prequel scores properly...I guess with the response by people for the Phantom Menace UE as you said we'll never see the proper releases in our life time.

ha ha.. I think Sony might be convinced other wise with a ROTS boot and TPM boot too...then again they might go after that person thinking they edited it themselves...

They are targetting people like T bone and The Force Net people(who are just as bad for us as Mugglenetters)."Color Stickers,that's good enough for me to fork out 80$ for the exact same music..."

You still hoping?

Were getting nothing new.And since this was THE opportunity to release the prequels properly,were never getting those in our lifetimes.So that's that.Sony will not bother to release them or release the rights to someone else

Maybe we get them in 2009 when we finally can celeebrate the 10th Anniversary of Episode I :unsure:

.. Yes a 3CD Special edition including the regular album and the UE!!

Well I am doing fine with my Ep III Bootleg, the only cue I'm really missing is Padme's Visit

And what if the 30th anniv. edition contains a DVD ... maybe we're finally getting a Star Wars Music Documentary... but I don't think so... :) it says 8 CDs...

hehe... why does this quote come to mind.

"I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a thousand voices cried out, and were suddenly silenced."

Lovely line... even though Alec Guinness though it was just shit.;)

hehe... why does this quote come to mind.

"I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a thousand voices cried out, and were suddenly silenced."

too right they did!

how much more are they gonna make us suffer? would it really be the end of the world for them to burn some cues onto a CD or DVD which theve already recorded? (i know theres much more to it but in the end thats it) it exists and just awaits release :S

I mean who wants stickers... arrgh..

it could include this:

where did u get that from?

well I don't posses it but there are/were plenty on Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Star-Wars-30th-J...bayphotohosting

ah rite thanx, sorru i thought u ad a link to the new box set then lol

In the end they won't care....

Tell that to the people at CBS who canceled Jericho only to recant when enough people started bitching and sent them 20 tons of peanuts. If you're active and not apathetic, you can actually effect change. But if you're resigned to defeat and only wish to complain to other like-minded dudes on the Web, well, here you are.

So if emails are not enough, what could we send Sony Classical in protest to get a better release? There are those DVDs of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition, of course. But perhaps something more head-scratching. Like woolen blankets, to use GM's description of ROTJ's sound. If they received tons of woolen blankets, they'd likely turn around and donate them to some type of homeless mission, which would double the "good" that could be gained from sending them.

Let Sony Classical know what you want at http://www.sonymusic.com/about/feedback.cgi . Be courteous, be professional, but be heard.

I e-mailed them this:

About the Star Wars music collection box set due in Octobre.

From what I can read you are re-releasing the same c.d.'s as before with bonus "stickers" and a "fold out poster".I assume your marketing department thinks fans of this music are stupid enough to buy the same thing over and over again if you can put cheap "collectible" stuff in there.I will not be buying this unless it contains the unreleased music cues from Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith,which are in desperate need of a proper release.

I sent them this lol:

As an avid John Williams fan and a fan of the Star Wars saga, I have to say this:

We need a proper release of the complete scores.

Sony has said before that they have no plans to release the complete scores to the prequel trilogy and no plans seem to be made to fix the Original Trilogy.

I formally would like to state that if Sony made a proper release, then people WILL buy the sets.

The Ultimate Edition for Episode I was not the complete score as it was marketed to be. Instead, it was (to my knowledge) the only time a score has been released edited to show what it sounded like in the film, and NOT the composers original intention. Because of this, most fans were angry and decided against buying it.

If it were released in complete form (at least 3 CD's), this would be a top seller guaranteed. The other Prequel scores also need a complete release.

As for the original trilogy, the currently available scores for Empire and Jedi are very poor in quality. One only need but compare a few Jedi tracks to A New Hope to hear how poor they sound, despite the fact they were recording nearly 10 years latter with far better equipment and funding.

Empire was also improperly mixed by Risner. Every track he mixed he flipped the Horn Channels, mixed the harp too close to the center along with percussion and celesta and made the overall mix almost Mono, removing the surround sound aspect to John Williams orchestrations and removing the power from "The Imperial March."

For a definitive release, these errors are inexcusable.

Also, the amount of material omitted from these "definitive releases" is staggering.

With the re-discovery of better Jedi masters, a new release including the COMPLETE scores, mixed properly, is in order.

I have made an outline of every error in the Empire and Jedi Sets:

Empire- Disc 1/Track 1 - Mixed by Risner (too narrow)

Empire- Disc 1/ Track 2 - Mixed by Risner so the horn channels are flipped

Empire - Disc 1/Track 3 - The synth is improperly mixed causing digital noise

Empire - Disc 1/Track 4 - This track could be cleaned up

Empire - Disc 1/Track 5 - Imperial Walkers to the end is mixed by Risner far too narrowly, horn channels are flipped, and the overall sound is poor

Empire - Disc 1/Track 6 - Mixed by Risner (too narrow, horn channels fliped)

Empire - Disc 1/Track 8 - Mixed by Risner (" ")

Empire - Disc 1/Track 9 - Mixed by Risner (" ") Harp is incorrectly in the center

Empire - Disc 1/Track 10 - Jedi Master Revealed mixed by Risner (" ") Harp incorrectly in Center

Empire - Disc 1/Track 11 - Mixed by Risner (" ") Harp in center as is the celesta

Empire - Disc 2/Track 1 - Mixed by Risner. (" ") The poorest mix ever released of this powerhouse piece. (Horns Flipped)

Empire - Disc 2/Track 2 - Mixed by Risner (" ") The poorest mix ever of this piece (Horns Flipped)

Empire - Disc 2/Track 4 - Mixed by Risner (too narrow, with harp incorrectly in the center with the celesta. Horn channels flipped)

Empire - Disc 2/Track 5 - The whole mix of this track is a bit off but the "City in the Clouds" portion mixed by Risner is horrible, with horns flipped, the choir far too loud and the harp in the center

Empire - Disc 2/Track 6 - Mixed by Risner (" ")

Empire - Disc 2/Track 10 - Mixed by Risner (" ")

Empire - Disc 2/Track 11 - "Hyperspace" is mixed by Risner so narrowly that the strings are almost mono, the horns are flipped, and the effect of the cue is lost completely.

Empire - Disc 2/ Track 12 - Mixed by Risner (" ")

Also, the alternate for both cues on track 12 ("Finale" and "End Credits" are ignored and not placed on the set).

----

Errors from Return of the Jedi:

The entire score sounds muffled. This is in part due to the fact that the original masters for most of the score could not be located. They have seen been found and a corrected release is in order.

Rather than list every cue, just know that every cue has the ability to be remixed from better quality masters and should be done so since the mix is so poor on the release that almost every cue sounds muffled, lost, and muddy.

Also, an extensive search into where the still missing material is should be conducted.

The material missing from the SE includes:

Jabba the Hutt Concert Suite - Original Album Recording Session

Lapti Nek - Film

Lapti Nek - Film Instrumental

Lapti Nek - Album

Lapti Nek - Extended Album

Lapti Nek - Album instrumental

Lapti Nek - Englsih

Max Rebo Band Song 1

Max Rebo Band Song 2

Unknown Joseph Williams Unused Source Cue

The Forest Battle Insert

Yub Nub (Choir)

Yub Nub (Ewok)

Yub Nub (Film)

Victory Celebration (Film)

Leia's News (Alternate)

The correct takes for cues such as "Superstructure Chase" should also be used in the mix as the one on the SE is not the correct take or is an incorrectly edited version of this cue.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request. I realize there is a 30th anniversary set being released, and from the rumors I'm hearing, it will simply be a repackaging of the already available SE's which as I have shown here, need to be addressed.

Thank you and I would love to hear back from you

-Bernard Kyer (21, Florida)

You actually sent them a list of "what to fix"? Sweet fancy Moses! They will stop reading after "at least 3 CDs".

It's utterly amazing that at this point, Sony or whoever put this garbage release onto the table, thinks there's justifiable need for it.

composers must be dead for more than 50 years to stop paying,

Well, that fits rather nicely in the 100th anniversary timeframe.

Well, let's get back to Carrie Fisher's singing ... actually, I find this video, or rather the music, quite excellent. Where does this come from? Did Williams actually write the music for that scene? Is it available somewhere?

It's utterly amazing that at this point, Sony or whoever put this garbage release onto the table, thinks there's justifiable need for it.

You must be aware that these kind of releases are'n aimed at the film score/John Williams buffs, but more at the SW fanatics and/or the casual buyers.

However, in the end, I don't see anything bad in re-releasing something like the SW scores... would you prefer these titles going OOP? It's nice to know anyone can enter a record store and find a copy of great film music by John Williams.

I realise those are aimed at casual buyers, but these same casual buyers were "treated" with exactly the same CDs three years ago. And a few years before that. I would say even the casual listener doesn't need those anymore.

would you prefer these titles going OOP?

Actually, yes, I would.

That would turn them into something precious, as opposed to the obnoxious mass products they are right now.

Well, let's get back to Carrie Fisher's singing ... actually, I find this video, or rather the music, quite excellent. Where does this come from? Did Williams actually write the music for that scene? Is it available somewhere?

The music (except for the guest appearances by pop singers) was composed by Ian Frasier.

I realise those are aimed at casual buyers, but these same casual buyers were "treated" with exactly the same CDs three years ago. And a few years before that. I would say even the casual listener doesn't need those anymore.

I understand your points, but this is just the norm for big record companies: repackaging and re-releasing is one of their well-known tactics to generate new revenues without spending too much money. Sony has a very long history in this field: look at their classical music catalogue or even at the various "Deluxe Editions" of historical rock & pop albums.

Heads up!

From Musictap.com:

After this is released, Sony is going to need a new "disguise".

To anyone who e-mailed Sony, tell me if you get a response!

While I am not going to waste my money on any of these sets (unless the remaining 2 discs are must-haves), I would be interested to see a track listing of the Corellian Edition, and see which cues JW likes the best.

What a dissapointment...major let down. I wish in general, label companies would stop releasing already released stuff, when they could be releasing new material!! (e.g. Star Wars prequels, Family Plot....)

I want to encourage everybody on this board to sent a letter. You've got nothing to loose, and the more, the merrier.

Here's my letter:

I am sending this e-mail in regards to your "Music of Star Wars 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition." While I appreciate all you're doing and all you've done, I will be among the many people who does not buy this product. It is a waste of hope and money for all those Star Wars/soundtrack fans who already own the Star Wars soundtracks. What really is in dire need of a release is the 2 other prequel scores, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (mainly Revenge of the Sith). Both of those items would be immensly popular to fans of Star Wars, soundtracks, and John Williams.

Seriously, though. Someone who hasn't sent an email to Sony yet should include the following:

1. a link to this conversation

2. GoodMusician's edits

3. the fact that bootlegs are floating all over eBay

On another, Star Wars related note, apparently, the Star Wars vault will contain the soundtrack to Star Tours. I haven't been on that ride in a while, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was just re mixed music from the films, or if it was new material. I'm really excited for this book. Will there be a limited release??

Seriously, though. Someone who hasn't sent an email to Sony yet should include the following:

1. a link to this conversation

2. GoodMusician's edits

3. the fact that bootlegs are floating all over eBay

On another, Star Wars related note, apparently, the Star Wars vault will contain the soundtrack to Star Tours. I haven't been on that ride in a while, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was just re mixed music from the films, or if it was new material. I'm really excited for this book. Will there be a limited release??

If you send them GM's edits, don't put your return address or any personally identifiable info on it. You'll be giving them a good reason to hunt you down. I stand by my wool blankets proposal. ;)

I don't think pointing out the mixing flaws in Empire Strikes Back and missing Laptin Nek versions in Return of the Jedi helps at all.What's the friggen obsession with Lapti Nek some people have?I've listened to this track exactly once on the 1983 OST.It's also one of the worst Williams compositions of all time .Return of the Jedi needs a complete remastering not just flipping horns around in one cue.

What we need is Attack of the clones and Revenge of the Sith expanded,that's the least they could do

My point in including all the errors wasn't so much that they'd read them, but that anyone seeing the letter would realize that the sets are so far from perfect that they require some sort of attention.

I wasn't necessarily asking for much. They digital transfers exist. They need but remix them. And with Return of the Jedi, better masters are available and so while they're remixing Empire, they can do Jedi... and also do a search for the still missing masters which would be an EXCELLENT selling point for any re-release.

I only really included it to make a point: they are so far from perfect that they do not deserve the name Definative Releases.

As for linking to my work, please dont! lol...

I'm not sure showing them that will do much more than earn me an email saying to remove them lol...