October: Music of Star Wars - 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

DigitalfreakNYC

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

however, pointing out all the errors at once, may make them realize that re-releasing the entire saga is viable... not only the prequels, which they are afraid won't sell well, but corrected, completed, and well mixed versions of the OT which they are sure will sell well...

Releasing these remixes right after another re-release would not be very interesting to Sony, though. Even if this somehow gets through it would take probably another three years for these scores to be re-released again, remixed or not.

Maybe in 2009 we might end up seeing a proper release for the Phantom Menace score with it being the 10th year Anniversary...but I aint holding my breath for that one. Chances are we may never see a proper release of that score...not unless there's a major demand for it I guess.

More pressing than these OT-related matters, though, is the desire for good complete releases of the prequel scores, including TPM.

Indeed.

I am not a member of the FSM boards, but if you don't mind I'll take issue here with what Ford A. Thaxton said there:

SONY paid MILLIONS for the rights to these titles and repackaging the current versions in to a box set with a BEST OF CD of already released tracks makes BUSINESS SENSE to them..

Depending on the price, this will make a nice XMAS present to any STAR WARS geek you want to give it to..

In addition, they can also put out expanded edition in TWO OR THREE Years time and get us to buy them yet AGAIN...

On a business level this approach gives them yet another bite at the apple, it makes BUSINESS SENSE.

"I'm tired of them releasing the same damn thing OVER AND OVER again".....

It will only stop when folks STOP BUYING THEM and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Lucas has turned this approach into an art..

Such is life in the Movie and Music Business.

Ford A. Thaxton

Doesn't that go against how the rest of the music industry operates? Every time an artist puts out a Best of CD or a boxed set they always include music that you can't get elsewhere. If they aren't going to give us a complete release from all 6 films, it seems to me that good business sense would be to release some previously unavailable tracks from AOTC and ROTS.

Here's what I wrote to Sony...

Dear Sony,

Hello I'm sure you've probably been flooded by now with people angry about another re-release for the Star Wars Original Trilogy scores that's set to debute either in October or November.

First off I'm not really one of those angry people, but I will say that a lot of people right now really want the complete original intended editions for all three Star Wars Prequel Trilogy scores to be released.

People (including myself) do not want another Ultimate Edition style release where it essentially was an DVD Isolated score track. What we would like is as I stated before a proper release for all three scores, The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of The Sith. What I mean by intended editions is basically ALL the original music that John Williams wrote for the three films including unused music.

We basically want the same treatment given for the Prequel Trilogy scores like what was given for the Original Trilogy scores. We know that if Sony releases the proper intended editions for all three Prequel scores they would sell very well. Plus it would give a good competition for the complete original intended Lord Of The Rings scores.

All I'm just saying is that is what we would like to have. Is this too much to ask for?

Dear Sony,

Hello I'm sure you've probably been flooded by now with people angry about another re-release for the Star Wars Original Trilogy scores that's set to debute either in October or November.

First off I'm not really one of those angry people, but I will say that a lot of people right now really want the complete original intended editions for all three Star Wars Prequel Trilogy scores to be released.

People (including myself) do not want another Ultimate Edition style release where it essentially was an DVD Isolated score track. What we would like is as I stated before a proper release for all three scores, The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of The Sith. What I mean by intended editions is basically ALL the original music that John Williams wrote for the three films including unused music.

We basically want the same treatment given for the Prequel Trilogy scores like what was given for the Original Trilogy scores. We know that if Sony releases the proper intended editions for all three Prequel scores they would sell very well. Plus it would give a good competition for the complete original intended Lord Of The Rings scores.

All I'm just saying is that is what we would like to have. Is this too much to ask for?

yes it is too much to ask

Dear Sony,

yes it is too much to ask

The point of the whole thing is,, pointing out errors like re-mixing is fighting a battle at the wrong time. That will not be on their priorities. They are just releasing another re-release, so telling them to re-re-release it with new mixes is pointless. We need to get our priorities straight. There's a much greater chance that the Prequels will be released next, so let's bang down their doors demanding those instead of fixed up OT releases.

And in order to do that, we don't need to give detailed explanations of what is wrong. We just need to get enough people saying "Please release the PT" WITHOUT bashing their previous releases (seriously, have you people always thought insulting someone would make them want to help you out?)

so that they realize normal people would buy it, not just fan boys.

I agree with Vaderbait 100%.No point of mentionning the UE either.Just that we want expanded AotC and RotS scores(I hesitate to even use the term "complete")

Another point is telling them were not stupid people who will rush out to buy this because of posters and various crap they might put in there.This is more at the level of the action figure collectors...although there still a lot of these people

K.M.

This is more at the level of the action figure collectors...although there still a lot of these people

Unfortunately so. And this is a two edged sword: If it sells well it could well lead to more half-hearted releases, but if it doesn't sell well then they just might figure there's no market for the stuff and forget about it.

This is more at the level of the action figure collectors...although there still a lot of these people

Unfortunately so. And this is a two edged sword: If it sells well it could well lead to more half-hearted releases, but if it doesn't sell well then they just might figure there's no market for the stuff and forget about it.

I'm an action figure collector but I'M not buying this set, at least not on the information we're going on. Though you're right, most people that consider themselves collectors really won't know the difference with these sets, and even those who do would still purchase them for the sake of being "complete".

Hey,I used to buy the figures up untill 2004 or so,but I'm talking about the ones that buy 2 of each and hunt down the minute variations.Like the ones that bought the 4 AotC covers

I agree with Vaderbait 100%.No point of mentionning the UE either.Just that we want expanded AotC and RotS scores(I hesitate to even use the term "complete")

Another point is telling them were not stupid people who will rush out to buy this because of posters and various crap they might put in there.This is more at the level of the action figure collectors...although there still a lot of these people

K.M.

YES! get the complete ROTS and AOTC scores, and I will never ask for another star wars score again.

K.M.

YES! get the complete ROTS and AOTC scores, and I will never ask for another star wars score again.

Hell, we MAY get lucky. If we're talking business sense, perhaps the extra two discs are "More Music From..." type releases. Perhaps a 12 disc set of all the scores would be too expensive to be viable, so perhaps they ARE throwing unreleased music onto the last couple discs.

It would be weird, but in some ways it does make sense. Of course, re-editing by purchasers would still have to happen to get complete scores, but at least we'd have CD quality music then.

Hell, we MAY get lucky. If we're talking business sense, perhaps the extra two discs are "More Music From..." type releases. Perhaps a 12 disc set of all the scores would be too expensive to be viable, so perhaps they ARE throwing unreleased music onto the last couple discs.

It would be weird, but in some ways it does make sense. Of course, re-editing by purchasers would still have to happen to get complete scores, but at least we'd have CD quality music then.

That is not going to happen.I could bet my soul on it

I hope this set is going to tank big time. I can't see why not. Everybody has these soundtracks already. And they're still available much cheaper everywhere.

I hope this set is going to tank big time. I can't see why not. Everybody has these soundtracks already. And they're still available much cheaper everywhere.

Indeed. I dunno why Sony didn't take this opportunity to release the 2-CD sets for TPM, AOTC and ROTS a long with the OT sets too... do we have to wait until 2009 for that????? <_<

Until the 2-CD sets for AOTC and ROTS come out I'm officially done buying Star Wars CD's.

Miniature LP covers for $80 smackeroos when one can acquire the real deal LPs at any used music-goodwill-thrift store-eBay or yard sale for considerably less and with better sonics to boot. Would gladly plunk down the $80 USD or more for SA-CD versions of the initial LP programming for each, (ah to hear the ESB double LP on SA-CD would be bliss I tells ya!) but then again Sony dropped the ball on that as well, figures... Sucks that the actual CDs will be prolly emblazoned with the DSD logos here and there like that even matters considering what they'll end up using saturating the market with the yet another iteration of the '97 "re-masters". Arghh... Whatever.

Well, unless these three discs have FIXED the problems of the set in existence, there is no reason for me to shell out again. I have the Anthology, I have the SEs, I'm good to go.

Meanwhile, this DOES give me some hope for a similar set for the PT. However, if this doesn't sell (like last years shoddy O-OT on DVD) Lucas will probably take away the message that nobody cares about the OT any more and not bother.

Moron.

Meanwhile, this DOES give me some hope for a similar set for the PT. However, if this doesn't sell (like last years shoddy O-OT on DVD) Lucas will probably take away the message that nobody cares about the OT any more and not bother.

Moron.

that's the problem,Lucas can't admit to himself he sold a shoddy product,so the blame is on the fans losing interest

Well, unless these three discs have FIXED the problems of the set in existence, there is no reason for me to shell out again. I have the Anthology, I have the SEs, I'm good to go.

Ditto.

Moron.

Yeah, that really perplexes me. How can you put out a crappy product and then assume the fans merely aren't interested when it doesn't sell well. I bought last year's DVD release of the original trilogy but that was merely because I never intended to get the films on DVD unless we were given a choice. I'm sure the lack of an anamorphic transfer for the theatrical versions was George's idea. Just his way of pasifying the fans while simultaneously thumbing his nose at them.

At this rate we'll have the complete prequel scores in about... fifty years.

Hey guess what the other two discs are!?!?!? You people will never believe this garbage of a release!!!

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/mi...ws20070829.html

<_<

I'm sorry, I can't help it. This has become such a farce. Almost make you think Mel Brooks is going to pop up and say this is all part of Spaceballs 2.

the 2004 re-release of the SEs was nice, to new fans and furthermore it was cheap price. (though a PDF of the liner notes instead of crappy screensavers would have been neat...)

Re-re-releasing it again its useless. Old and news fans must have the scores by now...

So apart from some really cool screensavers and images, there's absolutely nothing new in this release (given the Correlian thing is just a compilation).

Well done Sony - you've blown it again <_<

Do those idiots realise how popular the LotR CR's are?

So apart from some really cool screensavers and images, there's absolutely nothing new in this release (given the Correlian thing is just a compilation).

Well done Sony - you've blown it again <_<

Do those idiots realise how popular the LotR CR's are?

What's the point of the Corellian CD? All the music is already on the other discs. A die-hard (the only people who would buy this) don't need a compilation album.

I'm getting really tired of Sony thinking throwing some pictures in with a release is going to make it a totally different product. Though those boxes are infinitely cooler than the ones on the other releases.

No way I'm shelling out 90 bucks though, even if they are cleaned up.

EDIT: I know the people who have access to the complete scores don't want to leak anything for fear of the Lucas Machine, but if they are true music fans, now would be the time to have AOTC and ROTS "accidentally" hit the web.

That set actually looks really nice since it uses the old LP covers, but fuck it; no new music, no purchase.

Interesting side note: If Lucas considers all the films part of one greater film, then why are they still treating them as separate trilogies? Shouldn't this have been the 30th Anniversary of ALL Star Wars movies? I say it again: It's like they're purposely trying to avoid releasing the PT scores.

That set actually looks really nice since it uses the old LP covers, but fuck it; no new music, no purchase.

Interesting side note: If Lucas considers all the films part of one greater film, then why are they still treating them as separate trilogies? Shouldn't this have been the 30th Anniversary of ALL Star Wars movies? I say it again: It's like they're purposely trying to avoid releasing the PT scores.

They are purposely trying to avoid working on the soundtracks. The release of the complete PT soundtrack need work. It's easier to re-release what's already done.

They are purposely trying to avoid working on the soundtracks. The release of the complete PT soundtrack need work. It's easier to re-release what's already done.

From what I understand AOTC has been done for a year or two now. I don't know about ROTS. I just can't believe this. It's absurd.

Do we have any proof of that or were these just internet rumors?

It was reported by Ocelot (who's no longer at this forum) back in 2002 if I remember correctly that Sony had finished the UE of AOTC early and wanted to release it bu Lucasfilm pulled the plug on it. All though I just chalked it up as a rumor at the time and still think of it as a rumor.

I'm almost tempted to post the address for Lucas Licensing (sans directly to Howard Roffman) here in the thread so people can bombard real letters and tell them of the disappointment with these re-releases and how disappointing it is that we don't have the proper complete editions for all three prequel scores...