October: Music of Star Wars - 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

DigitalfreakNYC

The label being wrong and the difference in release dates makes me think we shouldn't rely on Amazon for information.

How do we know that the label is wrong? Amazon's release date (and the correction thereof) makes perfect sense (in the US at least).

I didn't say it was for sure wrong, just that 8 is a weird number, and the label is different than Sony, which announced it.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was for sure wrong, just that 8 is a weird number, and the label is different than Sony, which announced it.

I'll agree that eight is definitely a weird number in this case. :thumbup:

Epic was (and probably still is) something to do with Sony.

[spock]According to logic,

{The Music of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition,

WHERE bold = important information }

AND

{ 2007 = Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope's 30th Anniversary }

AND

{NOT (2007 = Star Wars, Episode ¤, WITH (¤ = [1-6]\4) )}

MEANS

The Music of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

IS

8-disc Special 30th Anniversary Edition of the score to Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope only --

but then, this is not my franchise, so I may be wrong...[/spock]

spock.jpg

Well it could be the complete recording sessions, containing all recorded practice runs, all recorded takes and 400 times of Tomlinson calling slate numbers.

If they think that would sell, but complete versions of AOTC and ROTS wouldn't, they're insane. Recording sessions are only for the die-hards, and most of the time, not even them.

EDIT: Wait! I got it! Star Wars never had an "Inspired by" compilation. These 8 discs must be pop songs by the biggest artists "inspired" by Star Wars!

from what I read on the FSM article, all the possible takes were presented. A lot of the masters had degraded and they worked with the best material and what they had.

There was also something about how they spliced the actual recordings back then, so they had to go through the extra tape that was left over ... and thats where they found the Binary Sunset Alternate and the Main Title takes... and that the extra main title takes are the only ones that survived. They rest had degraded...so I doubt they could extend it to 8 discs... THey could get maybe to 3... but not 8

For my generation (the one not around when Star Wars first hit theatres), when you say "The Music of Star Wars," no one thinks JUST of 'Star Wars' which would latter be called 'Episode IV: A New Hope." We think of the entire 6 film saga...

Seeing as chances are this would be meant to accompany the entire saga, I still think it would mean it would include prequel music... although if you look at some of the other 30th anniversary sets they came out with, they are huge boxes with books, and posters, and reprints... one even has a few cd's with tracks from the Star Wars Christmas Special music on it...

So if this 8 discs, something tells me it'll be similar to that sort of boxing, probably with booklets and such. 8 discs however is perplexing.

I don't know why they'd re-release the OT in this set. The unreleased material for ESB and ROTJ would take up a single disc by itself... So that would be 7 discs... but what would be on the last one? I doubt they'd put interviews on it.

If they made a DVD of the complete scores in 5.1, that would be 6 discs. still leaving two for unknown things... lol

hmm... hard to see the future is.

It's very simple, the SE's and TPM EU repackaged as one big giant set.

you know i really hope ure not right, but chances are you probably are :thumbup: lol

Or the SEs, the Corellian CD, and the RotS DVD. Hey we should organize a bet.

wots with the Corellian CD its a pile of POODU! crap compilation, any of us could have made it in itunes :S

According to Neil, it also messes up the Star Wars tracks with added reverb.

idiots! trying to make it sound different with a bit of reverb, muppets!

i so hope theres some kind of unreleased material in this set, atleast something! :P

::raises eyebrow::

Who the hell do you think you are, Roger Moore?

I'm don't blindly add reverb thank you very much lol...

I second that, GM's pretty good with reverb (at least, regarding what I've listened to from him)

Guest macrea

Just to add to the pessimism, how about:

Star Wars OST (Polydor/RSO) - 2 discs

Empire (Polydor/RSO) - 1 disc

Jedi (Polydor/RSO) - 1 disc

Phantom Menace UE - 2 discs

Clones - 1 disc

Sith - 1 disc

Total = 8

Just to add to the pessimism, how about:

Star Wars OST (Polydor/RSO) - 2 discs

Empire (Polydor/RSO) - 1 disc

Jedi (Polydor/RSO) - 1 disc

Phantom Menace UE - 2 discs

Clones - 1 disc

Sith - 1 disc

Total = 8

How about 8 discs of cherry picked cues from whats already available?

The holiday special has never been more marketable.

Actually, I watched the awful thing a few months ago on YouTube or somewhere, and the musical score wasn't horrible. Nice original music and variations on Williams's themes. The song Chewbacca's father masturbated to I didn't care so much for, though.

How about this combination:

One disc for each film, plus a disc for the Ewok movies and a disc for music from the holiday special?

I'd gladly welcome an official expanded release Peter Bernstein's Ewok scores.

And actually, Leia's infamous "A Day to Celebrate" from the Holiday Special is going to be included on a CD with the upcoming Star Wars Vault book. Who knows, with 2 discs, there may be other music there too. Max Rebo Band maybe? One can hope.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20070314.html

The holiday special has never been more marketable.

Actually, I watched the awful thing a few months ago on YouTube or somewhere, and the musical score wasn't horrible. Nice original music and variations on Williams's themes. The song Chewbacca's father masturbated to I didn't care so much for, though.

I actually saw that when it aired on TV and even recorded the End Credits on a small cassette recorder. I just watched the ending on You Tube and it cuts the same way with the announcer telling of upcomming programs to watch.I was so mad because it was my only source of the Star Wars theme then. I even wondered if Williams had written special music for this.In those days,there were no VHS or DVD's and movies didn't air on TV too quickly,so it was a real treat to see scenes from the film.

thanks for the link,I was trying to figure out where that was again for the star wars vault. I'm tempted to get it JUST to get that track lol! ALthough some of the stuff in that set looks cool...

I can't help but wonder if this won't be similar...

My current amount of Star Wars music is 11 hr 30 min consisting of extended Episode 1, 2 and 3 scores, along with SE's of the original trilogy. Devided by 80 minutes per CD, this would require 8.6 CDs if all space on the CDs would be used. Since my extended Episode 1-3 editions still have quite a bit of missing music, we can conclude that it is impossible to put all music on 8 discs even if all space would be used by putting the beginning of the next episode's music on the end of the previous CD.

The sound quality on the DVD accompanying the RotS soundtrack is notably improved over the SE's, isn't it? Even if this release would not contain any new material, don't you think it should have at least the same sound quality as that DVD? That would at least be something noteworthy material released.

I personally think that yet another re-release of the original trilogy SE's would be completely nonsensical. First there was the RCA/Victor releases, then Sony re-released the exact same discs again with some additional "improvement" of the sound quality that I personally cannot hear at all. In other words: Most of the music for Episodes 4-6 is already pretty well available. Episodes 1-3 on the other hand are a different story. None of these have had a proper soundtrack release. I am personally crossing my fingers, hoping against hope that this 8-disc edition will have at least some sort of notable new music included, even if it wouldn't be much.

Don't you think you're acting a little premturely?

Aren't we always?

Oh of course; But in my mind, saying 'I'll shell out for this', when we know absolutely nothing about its contents is premature, even for us :P

8 discs just doesn't make any sense.

I'd love to see the complete prequel scores released (finally), but I don't think we will get them yet. Hope I'm plain wrong.

Do you remember this back in August 2006....?

Let’s start with the soundtracks. The complete scores are allegedly going to be released in one big boxed set but my source tells me that the audio quality will not be as good as the current releases for some reason. Now I’m not a stickler with CDs and I don’t go nuts with audio quality. If it sounds good on my iPod, I’m fine with it. If it sounds good on the computer or whatever, great. I can notice big changes but when it comes down to it, I won’t be ticked off if it’s a little off in quality, though I’d expect newer releases to sound better than the previous ones.

That said, the only thing my source told me about the soundtracks is that they “…will not sound as good as the current discs. They will sound like every other John Williams 'muffled' release.” I’m not 100% sure what that means, exactly but I’m sure some of you soundtrack lovers and John Williams fanatics out there will know what he’s talking about. The status quo probably won’t take issue but if you already have them, you might not need to buy them again.

This time, I’m not falling prey to the soundtrack trap like I did with the 2004 version. They ensnared me into buying the silver boxed set of soundtracks because inside were supposed to be some exclusive screensavers and I thought to myself, “Hey, that’s good enough to make me buy these again, even though I already have them. I’m getting something else I don’t have. Great.” So I took the CDs and installed the screensavers. I tried out the one for EMPIRE and up came the wonderful logo followed by…a bunch of expanded universe artwork that had NOTHING to do with the film. Thinking it was a quirk, I tried the other two screensavers and it was the same thing. Bring up the FILM logo and then show images that have NOTHING to do with the film. Who’s the genius that devised that plan? I sure hope they’re not working there anymore. I almost threw the CDs out the window.

So if you have the soundtracks, you might want to think about whether or not you really need this new set of music. Chances are, you have it all, but if you don’t have all of the soundtracks this might be a good set to invest in. We’ll have to see what the details are but this time I’ll be very skeptical of the bonus features, if any.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=846

He says that the complete scores will be released, b ut then says there probably won't be anything that we don't already have. Talk about a contradiction.

There's no reason to re-release (for what, the third time?) the OT SEs plus the TPM UE and totally ignore even a re-release of AOTC and ROTS OSTs.

Weren't plots like that Lucas' hobby for the good part of the last 10 years?

Stick around for Star Wars' 100th birthday. By then we may even hold the Ultimate Edition of ROTS in our hands.

Maybe Lucas is waiting for Williams to die, so he doesn't have to pay him.

This time, I’m not falling prey to the soundtrack trap like I did with the 2004 version. They ensnared me into buying the silver boxed set of soundtracks because inside were supposed to be some exclusive screensavers and I thought to myself, “Hey, that’s good enough to make me buy these again, even though I already have them. I’m getting something else I don’t have. Great.”

;)

This time, I’m not falling prey to the soundtrack trap like I did with the 2004 version. They ensnared me into buying the silver boxed set of soundtracks because inside were supposed to be some exclusive screensavers and I thought to myself, “Hey, that’s good enough to make me buy these again, even though I already have them. I’m getting something else I don’t have. Great.”

;)

Exactly.no wonder we don't have proper expanded sets yet.

There's no reason to re-release (for what, the third time?) the OT SEs plus the TPM UE and totally ignore even a re-release of AOTC and ROTS OSTs.

Weren't plots like that Lucas' hobby for the good part of the last 10 years?

Stick around for Star Wars' 100th birthday. By then we may even hold the Ultimate Edition of ROTS in our hands.

Maybe Lucas is waiting for Williams to die, so he doesn't have to pay him.

composers must be dead for more than 50 years to stop paying, the money will go to John's next of kin or who ever he puts in his will

so we could be waiting for ages for these full scores, im sure i heard rick mcallum saying last year that full scores were on there way :S

McCallum knows nothing.

Actually, we don't have them because when they DO release complete scores, fans bitch and boycott and do other stupid things, thus making the companies think there's no profit to be made trying to appease fans who will always bitch.

Instead, we should have bought up the TPM UE like crazy, and written letters suggesting improvements. I'm sure most people here would agree having a UE is better than not having an expanded release at all.

The Ultimate Edition of Episode I is not that that bad. The first 3/4 of it are basically intact, except for some action sequences. But all the Coruscant material is there, all the Tatooine material is perfectly unedited except for the podrace sequence... The last portion of the 2ºCD is another story.

McCallum knows nothing.

Actually, we don't have them because when they DO release complete scores, fans bitch and boycott and do other stupid things, thus making the companies think there's no profit to be made trying to appease fans who will always bitch.

Instead, we should have bought up the TPM UE like crazy, and written letters suggesting improvements. I'm sure most people here would agree having a UE is better than not having an expanded release at all.

Yeah, and the DVDs of the unaltered Original Trilogy didn't sell well, so I guess nobody really wants those films on DVD. Lucasfilm's marketing strategy of being as cheap as possible and then feigning surprise when products fail is beyond frustrating.

McCallum knows nothing.

Yeah, and the DVDs of the unaltered Original Trilogy didn't sell well, so I guess nobody really wants those films on DVD. Lucasfilm's marketing strategy of being as cheap as possible and then feigning surprise when products fail is beyond frustrating.

Yeah... i wanted to buy all six movies in the supposed package for the 30th annyversary.

Now there is not such package because last year it did not sell well ;)

McCallum knows nothing.

If I recall it was members of this own forum who started a campaign against Sony and Lucasfilm and basically sent them letters telling them how much the "Ultimate Edition" for The Phantom Menace score sucked. I am glad to have it for the unreleased music and superior sound quality...but the edits are left undesirable. When I read the original letter I just shook my head because the way how it was presented the people here basically shot themselves in the foot with it since to Sony and Lucasfilm it seem like a slap in the face.

I also remember early reports back in 2002 I think that Sony had finished up the Ultimate Edition for AOTC and wanted to release it early bu Lucasfilm nixed the plan, probably in retaliation for the letter they received from members of this forum that basically demanded a proper release of The Phantom Menace score.

Yes they (Sony and Lucasfilm) should have released the proper edition instead of the chopped up version and I'm sure that would have sold a lot better than the "Ultimate Edition" but as I said the fans really shot themselves in the foot with that campaign.

I don't know how many here regret that campaign or not...and I'm sure because of that is the reason why we don't have the 2-CD sets for AOTC and ROTS yet...

I don't know how many here regret that campaign or not...and I'm sure because of that is the reason why we don't have the 2-CD sets for AOTC and ROTS yet...

If that is the case, and I'm not that convinced that it is, then I'm glad for it. I'd rather wait 10 to 15 years for a properly produced product then settle for another shoddy product!