Elliot Goldenthal

Morlock

SWAT is a cool action score -- probably the closest EG has been to a more commercial idiom. Unfortunately, I think it may have been the film that weaned him off action films forever.

God, if modern action films would get scores like S.W.A.T...score-o-gasm!

• 6 months later...

Surprised you hadn't realized that. It's discussed quite often.

The only thing that's been legally released is a suite on the song compilation, and it was entirely music from Batman Forever.

MV has posted many times on the FSM boards that he'd love to release it, but there are huge legal hurdles to get through and it seems like it will be impossible.

There have been many scores previously believed to be "impossible" to release. I hold out much hope that Batman & Robin will get a release at least in the next decade or two.

• 5 months later...

Elliot Goldenthal talks his Symphony in G♯ Minor. NPR's Arun Rath (jokingly) expresses concern on the orchestra's behalf about the abundance of sharps in the key signature, to which Goldenthal responds, "They're not babies!"

And apparently Goldenthal listens to "world music" at home.

Elliot Goldenthal talks his Symphony in G♯ Minor. NPR's Arun Rath (jokingly) expresses concern on the orchestra's behalf about the abundance of sharps in the key signature, to which Goldenthal responds, "They're not babies!"

And apparently Goldenthal listens to "world music" at home.

Thanks for that. Inspiring as I'm making my Celluloid Tunes episode on Goldenthal shortly (using my own two interviews with him).

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice! A pro recording should fix the radio broadcasts issues so I look forward to getting this. That was really a terrific concert.

• 1 month later...

Grendel opera is getting an album release, finally!

In the meantime, Goldenthal says he’s refining the album recording of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and doing revisions on an album version of “Grendel,” which earned him runner-up status in 2007 for the Pulitzer Prize for Music.

Karol

Goldenthal told me an album of GRENDEL was forthcoming (within a year) way back in 2010 or so.....so I believe it when I see it.

Goldenthal told me an album of GRENDEL was forthcoming (within a year) way back in 2010 or so.....so I believe it when I see it.

He said he had some elements but that there was no recording and it was tricky to get everyone together.

Karol

He said he had some elements but that there was no recording and it was tricky to get everyone together.

Karol

Yes, he was using the same singers that were in a Wagner opera at the time. I hope more has happened since then, and that it truly is coming, but I won't get my hopes up untill I see a concrete "street date".

Karol

Yes, he was using the same singers that were in a Wagner opera at the time. I hope more has happened since then, and that it truly is coming, but I won't get my hopes up untill I see a concrete "street date".

He's won a Kilar award in Krakow last month and the part of that reward are the recording sessions with an orchestra of his choice from the area to record whatever he likes. He might pick AUKSO again.

Karol

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but today I was re-listening to Alien 3 after a very long time and I must say I had forgotten how great it is. The film may be uneven but the music is absolute perfection, and quite risky for an early 90's blockbuster. 

I don't know if this particular sound is cliche by today standards but I adore it nevertheless. It's freaking fantastic.

I'm not adding anything new to the table but I just needed to share my love for this score. I dare to say it's the best score of the franchise.

Speaking of Elliot, I just discovered this:

Kicking off the Improvisionaries season on October 1st, 2017 will be an exploration of the trumpet with Norwegian rising star, Tine Thing Helseth. Hailed in 2011 by BBC as the "superstar of tomorrow", Helseth's international acclaim at a young age has taken her all over the world. This concert, entitled Haydn & Goldenthal will feature Helseth performing Haydn's Trumpet Concerto in Eb with new cadenzas written specifically for this performance. Helseth will present the world premiere of Academy Award-winner Elliot Goldenthal's Trumpet Concerto. Written with Helseth in mind, Goldenthal - who is perhaps best known for his soundtracks to blockbuster films Alien 3, Batman & Robin, and Titus - will explore the relationship between a performer's artistic liberties and that of the orchestra though the partly-improvisatory musical structure of this new work.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwclassical/article/The-Chamber-Orchestra-of-Philadelphia-Announces-20172018-Season-IMPROVISIONARIES-20170217

Also, a video of Elliot rehearsing a snippet of Alien 3 in Prague for an upcoming concert:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FElliotGoldenthal%2Fvideos%2F1315480311828736%2F&show_text=0&width=560

And last (but not least), his concert work "Waltz and Agitato 'Pravda'" was recently premiered by the Rochester Philharmonic:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/lifestyle/2017/01/19/oscar-winning-film-composer-has-world-premiere-rpo/96770988/

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/lifestyle/music/2017/01/27/review-ward-stare-rpo-impassioned-work-world-premiere/97141420/

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Richard said:

I've never heard a note from EG, that I didn't like, but, ALIEN 3 is his masterpiece. As Thor said, it's his magnum opus.

Sometimes I think that Final Fantasy may be even better..

I like everything of his and some of it knocks me off my feat.  The one exception being S.W.A.T. which I felt sounded too much like something that should be in a Michael Bay movie. 

55 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Totally forgot to point you out the interview with Elliot I did last month! He talked about M. Butterfly there too. Here it is!

http://www.colonnesonore.net/contenuti-speciali/interviste/4981-a-triple-life-interview-with-elliot-goldenthal.html

Congratulations, interesting interview.  I especially liked the part where he talks about late German music.  This part: "Of course growing up in the 20th century New York City surrounded by John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix and everyone else living through jazz, pop and rock music meant a lot for me."  because it reminds me of how Mahler incorporated the sounds of his youth in his works including the fireman's dirge at the funeral of a fallen fireman he heard as a boy in Bohemia at the start of Symphony No. 10 last movement. It is also nice to see he has a full line up of new music and recordings for the rest of the year.

• 2 months later...

Just became aware of this, but it seems the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia is premiering a new Goldenthal piece in a couple of weeks:  Concerto for Trumpet and Strings.  Composer will be in attendance and have a Q&A session on the Sunday matinée opening date.

https://chamberorchestra.org/cop/haydn-goldenthal/2017-10-02/

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Is that a different piece from the Vietnam oratorio?  An actual mass?

It's listed on his wiki page as one of his first concert works (1977), but a quick online search brought up nothing audio-wise, so I was wondering if anyone heard it. Would be interesting to see if any of that material was re-worked on Alien 3.

On 27.9.2017 at 5:14 AM, Muad'Dib said:

Anyone heard his Requiem Mass? 

Afraid not. It's one of several concert works by Goldenthal that remains unreleased and unrecorded.

I wish!

But yes, Tine Thing Helseth is one of our most acclaimed, international instrumentalists right now.

With the Samuelsen siblings recording the Horner piece a couple of years ago, and now Helseth doing this, we Norwegians are really moving in.