Elliot Goldenthal

Morlock

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

How do you pronounce 'Thing' in her name, Thor?  I assume it's not just the English pronunciation of that word.

Nope, the 'h' is silent. So it's Ting.

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize there is a new score from Elliot Goldenthal.  He scored "Our Souls at Night" back in September.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/08/10/elliot-goldenthal-scoring-ritesh-batras-our-souls-at-night/

Has anyone seen or heard this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Concert of Elliot Goldenthal music next June in Dublin, with the composer present as a guest:

https://orchestras.rte.ie/events/1776/cinema-with-the-symphony-an-evening-with-elliot-goldenthal/

@Bilbo should bring his lazy arse to this performance!

Karol

20 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Concert of Elliot Goldenthal music next June in Dublin, with the composer present as a guest:

https://orchestras.rte.ie/events/1776/cinema-with-the-symphony-an-evening-with-elliot-goldenthal/

Tempting. I've seen Goldenthal live several times, but never a whole concert dedicated to just his music. Also a good chance to visit Dublin (I've never been to Ireland).

I just checked flight tickets, and they are unfortunately cost prohibitive for me. Weird, because I always assumed Dublin was a cheap destination from Oslo.

Everything Ireland is expensive. 

A pity though. Despite our differences I think you’d have been fun to have a pint with!

do you have any plans to travel Karol? Although I think we’ll be meeting at the RAH for ANH. 

Well I probably won't be able to make it for three reasons. I've already seen Goldenthal live three times and will see him again just a mere few weeks before the Dublin concert. And I'm going to London for Close Encounters the following week and that's going to be expensive already (I swear, John Williams is going to ruin me this year!). Also I haven't got that many annual leave days left to book.

Having said that, it might not be my last word on this subject. We'll see. ;)

In any case you should go. His stuff heard live is quite a lot of fun.

Karol

I imagine there’ll be s but if Michael Collins stuff given the location. 

Ah I’d say I can go if the day suits.

• 1 month later...

Do any of us live in Poland?  There is an all Goldenthal concert later this month.

Venue:
Mieczysław Karłowicz Philharmonic in Szczecin
Date:
Friday, 18 May 2018
Time:
7 pm
Repertoire:

Elliot Goldenthal
Lyric Suite (European premiere)
A symphony suite from  Aliens 3
A symphony suite from  Interview with the vampire
Great Gothic Suite from Batman Forever  and Batman and Robin

Katarzyna Tomala – conductor

http://oab.com.pl/en/index.php/k2-user-groups/events/item/427-18-05-2018-film-music-festival-szczecin

I'm not going to be in Poland, but I suspect that the Dublin concert a couple of weeks later will mirror that programme.

So he's going to be in Poland twice within the same month? That's strange. But then, he does visit often.

I've heard the Interview with a Vampire, Aliens 3 and Batman suites. Unless of course he created brand new ones (like he did with Titus one year).

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

QUESTION

Where can I find lyrics to the vocal sections of Titus?

I believe they are in Latin and Greek?

Thanks

I don't think it's Greek.

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

QUESTION

Where can I find lyrics to the vocal sections of Titus?

I believe they are in Latin and Greek?

Thanks

It is latin (remember this is Rome).  Straight from Shakespeare during the triumphant entrance of Titus as be brings his vanquished goths:

Romans, make way: the good Andronicus.
Patron of virtue, Rome's best champion,
Successful in the battles that he fights,
With honour and with fortune is return'd
From where he circumscribed with his sword,
And brought to yoke, the enemies of Rome.

(Drums and trumpets are sounding. Enter MARTIUS and MUTIUS; After them, two Men bearing a coffin covered with black; then LUCIUS and QUINTUS. After them, TITUS ANDRONICUS; and then TAMORA, with ALARBUS, DEMETRIUS, CHIRON, AARON, and other Goths, prisoners; Soldiers and people following. The Bearers set down the coffin) - Bill Shakespeare

7 hours ago, karelm said:

It is latin (remember this is Rome).  Straight from Shakespeare during the triumphant entrance of Titus as be brings his vanquished goths:

Romans, make way: the good Andronicus.
Patron of virtue, Rome's best champion,
Successful in the battles that he fights,
With honour and with fortune is return'd
From where he circumscribed with his sword,
And brought to yoke, the enemies of Rome.

(Drums and trumpets are sounding. Enter MARTIUS and MUTIUS; After them, two Men bearing a coffin covered with black; then LUCIUS and QUINTUS. After them, TITUS ANDRONICUS; and then TAMORA, with ALARBUS, DEMETRIUS, CHIRON, AARON, and other Goths, prisoners; Soldiers and people following. The Bearers set down the coffin) - Bill Shakespeare

Thanks much! Do you have the actual Latin lyrics? Or know where I can find them?

• 2 weeks later...

According to ryanpaquet at the FSM message board, this image was tweeted from Elliot Goldenthal's account:

DeEHvHPX4AIxgt_.jpg

The CD next to Batman Forever reads Batman & Robin: Original Motion Picture Score

A bootleg that accidentally ended up in his collection, or...something else entirely??

7 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

A bootleg that accidentally ended up in his collection, or...something else entirely??

I believe Goldenthal put together a full program for official release before the whole idea was scrapped by WB. Could very well just be a copy of that.

6 hours ago, Skelly said:

I believe Goldenthal put together a full program for official release before the whole idea was scrapped by WB. Could very well just be a copy of that.

That is correct. It's probably that (I have that too, btw, it's a great one).

7 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

DeEHvHPX4AIxgt_.jpg

Now, just a damn minute!

S.W.A.T. before BATMAN AND ROBIN? ALIEN3 after FRIDA? What the hell is going on, around here? Who the hell are you people?! How many copies of TITUS does one man need?!

28 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Did LLL already put out a Batman Forever release?

Yeah it came and went already. Released over 6 years ago.

Karol

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah it came and went already. Released over 6 years ago.

Karol

Damn! That was long before I even knew about LLL!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

S.W.A.T. before BATMAN AND ROBIN? ALIEN3 after FRIDA? What the hell is going on, around here? Who the hell are you people?! How many copies of TITUS does one man need?!

There is no S.W.A.T. in the photo. Btw, for laughs and giggles, here's my own physical EG collection. I'm missing a few of the recent concert work CDs. I also have several things in digital file format only. As you can see -- deliciously free of C&C releases! ;)

goldenthal.JPG

Ah, you're right. I just looked next to B&R.

I considered posting my own collection pic as a response to the tweet, but then realized that my ROSWELL boot would not sit well with the man himself. :)

15 hours ago, Skelly said:

This happens all the time.  Chris Young had submitted the mastered OST for Spiderman 3 but Sony found the sales to the soundtrack of Pirates (I forget which one) to be underwhelming and cancelled the project.  Goldenthal probably had a final mastered recording of Batman & Robin that he produced but was never picked up since the film was a dud.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

There is no S.W.A.T. in the photo. Btw, for laughs and giggles, here's my own physical EG collection. I'm missing a few of the recent concert work CDs. I also have several things in digital file format only. As you can see -- deliciously free of C&C releases! ;)

goldenthal.JPG

Some of these are still in their wrappers like The Tempest.  So this collection is for show or was given to you?

8 hours ago, karelm said:

This happens all the time.  Chris Young had submitted the mastered OST for Spiderman 3 but Sony found the sales to the soundtrack of Pirates (I forget which one) to be underwhelming and cancelled the project.

This is the first time I'm hearing of this; I always sort of assumed that Elfman had some say in the matter and was being a hardass about things (as he'd been in the past) since it was his music being used presumably without any input from him. You mean to say that Sony read Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack sales, didn't like the numbers, and bailed out on their own blockbuster's soundtrack? That seems weird.

16 hours ago, Skelly said:

This is the first time I'm hearing of this; I always sort of assumed that Elfman had some say in the matter and was being a hardass about things (as he'd been in the past) since it was his music being used presumably without any input from him. You mean to say that Sony read Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack sales, didn't like the numbers, and bailed out on their own blockbuster's soundtrack? That seems weird.

Elfman doesn't own his music.  The proof of this is that the producers told Chris where to use Elfman's themes throughout the score without consulting him.  Of course he would get the writers share of the royalties but it would get very complex.  For a cue, you might see 75% Chris Young, 15% Elfman, 10% so and so of writers share.  Chris was asked to have his music fit in with the "sound world" that was already established for Spiderman but he did so reluctantly.  For example, rather than Chris adapting Elfman's spiderman theme in the opening credits, Chris just left those pages blank and the editor used Spiderman 2 recording to edit it together as heard in the film.  I was part of the team on this project so can tell you Chris wanted very much to release every one of his soundtracks going so far as making final masters but few get official or ideal releases.  The composer rarely has that much control unless you're John Williams or its a gazillion dollar franchise or something where they want to milk every penny out of merchandising.  Example, though I can't say this definitively, I would assume that Don Davis wasn't pleased with the original score presentation of The Matrix which was roughly 1/2 rock, industrial and 1/2 his score representing maybe 30 minutes of his music.  I would predict he had produced a proper album that would have to wait for some time to see the light of day.  Elfman and Sam Raimi had quite a few disagreements during Spiderman 2 some of which were creative but it ultimately came down to ego's and pressure and Elfman being asked to rewrite the same cue too many times timing a toll on him while he was off on other projects.  He eventually said "fuck off" and the relationship ended until I believe Alice in Wonderland.  Chris has had a long relationship with Sam Raimi having scored some of Spiderman 2 (having some of Elfan's music replaced for Chris's), The Gift, Drag Me to Hell, etc.  Raimi always felt bad for it but Elfman wanted nothing to do with him by the time Spiderman 3 came around.  Chris felt Elfman's music was sort of like musical ideas rather than themes.  There was no Mary Jane theme, the Spiderman theme itself was like the first part of a phrase, etc., rather than a flushed out theme.  So if Chris used the phrase and then completed it, Elfman would get part of the writers share and so would chris and this becomes extremely though to track.  Also when you use huge orchestras and choir, rules are very complex for secondary payments and all this was putting a bad taste in the mouth of the sony suits. 

In all honesty, i forget which movie it was that Sony kept tabs on but this was the time when CD sales were really slumping and things started moving digitally but hadn't been figured out.  There was a bit of "if the composer wrote more memorable tunes we wouldn't have this slumping sales" attitude.  Big expensive soundtracks were not a good business venture during this time and some of the other big budget movies at the time were tanking in CD sales.  I forget which franchise it was.  It might have been Transformers but I thought it was Pirates.  Also, Pirates was recording at the very same time as Spiderman 3.  Again I forget which one it was because they were making those nonstop but I want to say Pirates 3 and Spidey 3 were recorded at the same time.  I remember having lots of difficulties getting two humongous orchestras + choir and sound stages at the same time.  I just don't remember exactly what other franchise was happening at that same time that had underwhelmed Sony execs before digital was the norm. 

No, it was Alice in Wonderland that healed the rift between Elfman and Raimi.  Upon seeing Burton's film for the first time, Elfman realized that his other longtime collaborator wasn't so bad after all, and was desperate to bury the hatchet.