Happy Birthday Star Wars!

Lurker

Star Wars was released on May 25, 1977 on 32 screens. Today it is 25 years old, and still the best film of the series and one of the greatest films ever made. After I get home from work tonight, I'll be watching my Laser Disc of this classic.

Neil

A NEW HOPE

A NEW HOPE

A NEW HOPE

I have no problem with this title, I see nothing lame about and I see no reason why not calling it A New Hope is a show of respect.

Happy Birthday, A New Hope!

I think the "sub-title" is cool. They're all corny in their own way, so whatever.

I do, however, disagree that A New Hope is the best of the series. I don't really think so. To be honest with you, I think all the other ones are better. Yes, Episode IV is really cool, but when you look at it compared to the other ones, it's rather flat and lack-luster.

Dan - always wanting to use "lack-luster" in a sentence

Yes, they need to be more flexible, but perhaps they are too old :)

This has nothing to do with flexibility. And perhaps you are too young :)

Yes....... and why can't we have a new title? Don't forget, it is just a chapter and it needs it's own name. It is not like renaming say for example Gone With The Wind.

Yes....... and why can't we have a new title? Don't forget, it is just a chapter and it needs it's own name. It is not like renaming say for example Gone With The Wind.

I never said we can't have a new title. I totally agree with it. I'm just saying that the movie released on May 25, 1977 was called STAR WARS.

That's all :roll:

Your point being? They want to keep calling it Star Wars out of nostalgia?

I now what they are fighting for. I don't like change either. When I am introduced to something and I get used to it as that something, I don't want any changes to come to that something.

~Harry

Your point being? They want to keep calling it Star Wars out of nostalgia?

My point being that the movie that was released 25 years ago was called STAR WARS. I don't know if others like using that name out of nostalgia. I call STAR WARS to the film released on May 25, 1977 because that was the title of the movie when it was released.

The same way I call Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Special Edition to the 1980 version, while most people just called it Close Encounters of the Third Kind troughout the years. I always try to respect the original release title when we are referring to an original release.

That's all :)

Well, I think the Ce3k example is a little different, special edition is not exactly a title in the way that A New Hope is. I don't think it's a good idea to call A New Hope Star Wars. The whole thing together is Star Wars, all the movies are Star Wars. It just causes confusion.

Well, I think the Ce3k example is a little different, special edition is not exactly a title in the way that A New Hope is. I don't think it's a good idea to call A New Hope Star Wars. The whole thing together is Star Wars, all the movies are Star Wars. It just causes confusion.

'Special Edition' IS part of the title of the 1980 version of CE3K. That's not an opinion, it's a FACT.

And I don't use 'Star Wars' for Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. Just for the movie that was released in 1977.

That's all spudnikbackflip.gif

I'm not interested in the offical name. I think it makes way more sense to call it A New Hope.

Happy Birthday Star Wars! :mrgreen:

I think Ricard's point is, the version of the film that came out 25 years ago is called "Star Wars"; Sure the movie is now called "A New Hope" (I have no problem with that), but "A New Hope" doesn't have birthday today, let alone the 25th :)

-Chris, who is going to watch Star Wars in a minute - but "A New Hope - Special Edition" (Sorry folks, I prefer watching my nice original, visually enhanced VHS to watching the dubbed version I recorded from TV ;))

On April 10, 2006, we can celebrate the 25th anniversary of the title "Episode IV - A New Hope". And on January 31, 2022 we can celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of the "Special Edition". Today, we can celebrate the release of the Star Wars.

Neil

The reason it was called A New Hope was because the other movies (who were still called Star Wars) had titles and the original needed one too. Theres no reason to get mad just because there was a change to a classic. :confused:

Well Happy Birthday Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope)!!

Lord Gibson - who is going to celebrate by watching the birthday boy/girl (what sex is a movie anyway?) as soon as he gets home.

It's all the same movie anyway, the title that it had when it was released is not relevant, now it is A New Hope. That is a good title, which makes more sense than just Star Wars.

The title that it had when it was released is not relevant, now it is A New Hope. That is a good title, which makes more sense than just Star Wars.

Double post, Morn? :baaa:

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

Star Wars!

[John Williams - Main Theme from Star Wars]

starw.gif

Hector - who loves Star Wars

Hey guys, the ones who are saying Happy Birthday Star Wars a New Hope. It isn't its 25 anniversary. ONLY STAR WARS is 25 years old. The A New Hope is younger and its 25th birthday is still to come.

I think I am too young.  I grew up with it being A New Hope, so that's the way I know it.

~Harry

Oddly enough, I'm a couple of years younger than Harry, and while I was growing up, I always thought of it as Star Wars. Even today, I usually just think of it as Star Wars, and I never add on A new Hope when I talk about it in threads.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Star Wars :!:

-Jason

It will be 2005 or 2006 when Star Wars a New Hope has its 25th birthday, after Empire has her 25th.

No it was renamed A New Hope! It is now 25! Same film!

Morn - Just as stubborn as Joe

Morn - Just as stubborn as Joe

Just not as knowledgable or realistic as Joe. :mrgreen:

Happy Birthday, Integallactic Space Opera.

Director - who thinks Joe could always say things much nicer and get the same point across.