A small, older BBC report on rejected scores.

Quintus

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit about the rejected score from King Kong. Most is about the aucostics of the recording stage, but there is a bit about the score. Sounded pretty good, from what Iheard. I wish Shore did it so badly!!!!!

That's the ultimate sign of being ultra-biased: bashing a score nobody except a handful of people have ever heard.

Well, I'm not ultra biased. Shore isn't prolific enough to really have an opinion of one way or the other in my book. Some of his stuff is good, some not. However, there are a few tracks out there.

The fact that you're judging what would have been a nearly 3 hour score based on 15 minutes of music completely out of order without any sort of coherence.

It's like listening to "Parade of the Ewoks" and calling Return of the Jedi horrible.

The fact that you're judging what would have been a nearly 3 hour score based on 15 minutes of music completely out of order without any sort of coherence.

It's like listening to "Parade of the Ewoks" and calling Return of the Jedi horrible.

Not exactly, because "Parade of the Ewoks" is not nine tracks.

Nine tracks CAN give you a feel for a film. Pick any nine tracks from the King Kong score Howard did and they all will be better than the nine Shore did.

Do you really think a composer can do an absolutely terrible job on nine tracks randomly selected, and the rest will be gold?

Therefore my judgment could in the end be proven wrong, but it's hardly irrational or ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, I believe (off my memory, which may not be very good) that the tracks are closer to 30.

I have not listened to the complete set of the floating tracks.

Based off 15 minutes (and I was positive it was 15...don't know), and it sounds like you've not really listened to it much, you can't fairly judge it as terrible. It's like picking 15 random pages of a 300 page book, and calling it terrible based on that. You can't do that, you're taking it out of context, you're not seeing development, etc.

You can say it doesn't meet your taste, but you can't judge it based on that, I'm sorry. It is irrational.

Aren't those tracks floating around fake?

No one's actually confirmed or denied anything. But I do know there are two different looking "sets" floating around, I've listened to a couple of tracks from one. Didn't recognize any of it.

But still, add that to the list of irrationality.

that's why I don't deal in "belief," "opinion," or "judgment."

All you've done is stated something... with no proof, no way for anyone to argue the point or against it... and no real explanation for what was so wrong...

It quite frankly, becomes extremely irrelevant.

All of which would be greatly required to state something like that seeing as 99% of the population has never heard the score past a few gong noises and drum hits in the removed feturette.

I, personally, would love to hear some of the score. Granted: there must be some reason it wasn't used... so your thoughts are possible, but having not heard it and not even hearing any description of why it was so bad in your opinion is...well... leaving your comments quite empty and with no bearing.

I will say, what I have heard, real or not, sounded very very challenging. It was Goldenthalian and much more in line with Shore's horror works. I could see why a studio would opt to go with JNH over that score. JNH certainly delivered something more accessible.

Assuming it's real.

that's why I don't deal in "belief," "opinion," or "judgment."

All you've done is stated something... with no proof, no way for anyone to argue the point or against it... and no real explanation for what was so wrong...

It quite frankly, becomes extremely irrelevant.

All of which would be greatly required to state something like that seeing as 99% of the population has never heard the score past a few gong noises and drum hits in the removed feturette.

I, personally, would love to hear some of the score. Granted: there must be some reason it wasn't used... so your thoughts are possible, but having not heard it and not even hearing any description of why it was so bad in your opinion is...well... leaving your comments quite empty and with no bearing.

Well, for one, I thought the tracks were more widespread and that more people would have heard it.

Second, I did not intend to get into a discussion, and was merely stating an opinion, not a thesis. So calling it "irrelevant" doesn't affect me much, as it was never meant to be relevant.

But if you want to know why I did not like what I heard, here they are:

1) Shore's music is often uninspiring to me. This is the same.

2) The music did not fit at all the feel of the film (which is obvious since it was rejected)

3) It fails miserably when compared to Howard's score, which has entertaining and interesting themes and musical development. Shore's has no theme that I can recall, or even anything other than what sounds like random musical notes thrown together. It is extremely generic.

But since you don't deal in belief or opinion, then your presence on these boards is extremely questionable. As well as your own opinions I suppose. I'm glad other posters don't take themselves as "seriously" as I do apparently.

My point is, if you want to say something like that, It usually helps to give reasons.... you've given some and that's really all I was trying to find out was why exactly you hated it...

I had heard the score was available, and I contacted someone about it, and they told me the tracks were fake and they were really from something else... an earlier work of shores. bits and pieces from different scores of his put together into a set and someone said it was his score to Kong... so I did not peruse it further.

ps: might want to take the ego down a level thanks ;-)

My point is, if you want to say something like that, It usually helps to give reasons.... you've given some and that's really all I was trying to find out was why exactly you hated it...

I had heard the score was available, and I contacted someone about it, and they told me the tracks were fake and they were really from something else... an earlier work of shores. bits and pieces from different scores of his put together into a set and someone said it was his score to Kong... so I did not peruse it further.

ps: might want to take the ego down a level thanks ;-)

Apparently you missed the sarcasm. I was criticized for taking myself seriously when I was merely stating an opinion. Thus the quotation marks. My ego is not a problem here, just my desire to not be attacked for stating an opinion.

Mmkay.

But as for the tracks being from earlier Shore works. It's possible. I don't know how likely, because I'm not interested enough in Shore to have heard most of his earlier stuff.

Although I would like to point out that I don't have any issues with either you or Blumenkohl. I would only rather have had someone ask me to clarify, rather than attack me like I'm some new kid being obnoxious on the boards.

There is a boot doing the rounds claiming to be a Promo from Universal...I will reserve judgement until I've heard it (which I will soon), however strongly suspect it to be a load of dingo's kidneys.

the video game has a original orchestral score

could the leaked files be this?

It could be. It's kind of funny that no one has been able to confirm if it's real or not. I would think someone who's heard it on these boards would be a fan of the game or a fan of Shore's enough to know if it's from something else.

the video game has a original orchestral score

could the leaked files be this?

It could be. It's kind of funny that no one has been able to confirm if it's real or not. I would think someone who's heard it on these boards would be a fan of the game or a fan of Shore's enough to know if it's from something else.

Yeah, I remember playing the Game and loving the music... very touching, and I always thought it was done by Howard Shore, cause I thought it's taken from the movie - I didn't knew Shore was off at that time.

But anyhow, the booklet doesn:t have a creditlist... according to imdb.com it was entirely composed by

Chance Thomas

http://german.imdb.com/name/nm0858613/

i own the game and know the score more or less.

If anyone wants to send me a cue from this 'boot' (better an action cue or something with kong or dinosaurs in the title so i know what to look) i'll see if i can identify it.

PM me :happybday:

That's the ultimate sign of being ultra-biased: bashing a score nobody except a handful of people have ever heard.

I do agree, but also would add that the opposite is also true. Every time a score rejected, people are up in arms about it, are sure that the rejected one was a masterpiece that would have made the film 1000% better, when, in fact, we generally have no idea how a score would work in the film, AND, when put against the film, one can often see why the rejected score would not have been appropriate for the film.

Well, I'm not ultra biased. Shore isn't prolific enough to really have an opinion of one way or the other in my book.

That is utter-nonsense. The man has written about 60 scores.

Howard delivered a fine score, especially for the time he had. A few elements I think don't work (the bug sequence, the solo piano), and his totally Goldsmithian action music, which works like gangbusters, but underlines Howard's lack of a musical voice in that department. It is one of the most listenable albums of Howard. And I am inclined believe to think that Howard's score is probably more appropriate than Shore's for the tone of the film (not based on anything I've heard of the score, merely on the idea that most rejected scores I've heard were rejected with reason, whether or not it was the composer's fault). But, than again, Shore also wrote a complex, serious score for Ransom, and was rejected for a far more generic and wall-paperish Horner score.

Also, I have a hard time to believe that we've heard the real story about the rejection. Shore has a reputation to preserve, and Jackson wouldnt' have wanted to make a big deal about rejecting a hugely popular and successful collaborator a mere 2-3 months before the release of a new film, which is often seen as a desparate act of a filmmaker with a troubled film.

Hmmmmm - I have listened to it now and - whilst one would have to say it is really quite "Kong-ish", it really doesn't sound like Shore to me.....

The (poor) artwork that accompanied the music states that it is copyrighted, so it might be totally illegal of course for me to post a link here so that another Board member might listen to it....

So - for a full - ahem - "Description" - please feel free to PM me....I will send you a link to a site where you really can get the lowdown on this music.....

Well it certainly is not from the Videogame.

Sounds rather strange for a post-LOTR Shore. Its something Jackson would talked about before letting him finishing the score...

the are some natives chanting that sounds similar to the movie's. Could that be ripped from the DVD?

Anyway, im sure Maurizio has the truth.

Well, I'm not ultra biased. Shore isn't prolific enough to really have an opinion of one way or the other in my book.

Oh yes? Well, then let me say that some of his work may be edgy, unusual, "out there" or different, but it always fitted the film.

I think that's what's already been said in this thread....

.....but just out of pure interest I obtained John Frizzell's "Primeval".....and this one is now debunked....spot-on, Lord M!!

Greg - who is not a fan of Frizzell, but is actually quite enjoying this score....