Pavarotti Dies

Dean1700

The "Yes Giorgio" star died earlier today aged 71. The rotund, black-bearded tenor, regarded by many as the greatest of his generation, shot to fame with a stand-in appearance at London's Covent Garden in 1963 and soon had critics gushing about his voluminous voice.

R.I.P.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be sorely missed, as much for his enormous personality as his enormous voice. Not quite sure I get the "Yes, Giorgio" reference - did he actually sing on the soundtrack (which I've never heard)???

He will be sorely missed, as much for his enormous personality as his enormous voice. Not quite sure I get the "Yes, Giorgio" reference - did he actually sing on the soundtrack (which I've never heard)???

He starred in the film as well as singing 'If We Were In Love', Williams main theme song.

Sad news, thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

I just saw the news on television... I never knew he was so ill...

Yep, he have been fighting a pancreas tumor for quite a long time.

He is survived by his second wife, who is only 36! Pavarotti, you old dog you! Rest in peace.

And a daughter of only 4 years...

I'm sorry I didn't saw this thread before starting the other one. :|

It was really sad...after I'd heard, I saw today's local paper, in which it said that he was in critical condition.....

Yes, the TV news yesterday evening (8 PM) said his condition worsened in late afternoon/early evening, and the TV news I watched this morning (7 AM) said he died at 5 AM.

When his condition worsened yesterday, we all knew he was going to die very soon...he was already in real critical conditions. :|

I understand how tragic can be this loss for a liric music fan. He had an amazing voice.

Maestro Luciano Pavarotti's death is a great loss. I live quite near Modena, the small city where he was born and died two days ago, and that day I was there at the University. So I learnt of his death (occured at 5 AM in local time) there, from the voices of the city who best loved him. As he was one of the most famous tenors of the world, according to many the greatest of his generation, it's easy to imagine how he was considered, in Italy and expecially in the zone where I live, a sort of popular "hero". He still had a lot of friends in Modena, and he came there often to meet them.

I think he had the most beautiful male voice of our century, and his immense talent in the Opera genre will survive forever in his wonderful recordings. He was at his best (probably) in the interpretation of works by Bellini, Verdi and Puccini (the aria "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot, by Puccini, was one of his favourite pieces in concert). He collaborated with great musicians, great conductors like Riccardo Muti, Claudio Abbado, Zubin Metha, Herbert von Karajan. Zubin Metha (that, by the way, was perhaps the only "classical" conductor to conduct a performance of the Star Wars suite by John Williams, soon after the movie was released) said in television that "the voice of Pavarotti will become as classic as a symphony by Mozart, in the future".

In addition to Operas, Pavarotti loved practically any other musical genre and he made a lot of collaborations and concerts around the world with pop/rock stars (quite a rare event for a "classical" musician); he was a friend with Bono (leader of U2), I believe Sting, and a lot of Italian singers. Many of his concerts were made for getting money founds to help the poor people in the world, I remember that in this field he also collaborated with Lady Diana, many years ago. He also helped with personal donations and here it is well known that a lot of people had the occasion to benefit of his generousity.

So, we lost a man of great talent, great genorousity and great humour, and he will be greatly missed.

Modena ain't that small. It's our province and it has 180k inhabitants.

Where do you live "quite near Modena"? You can reply to PM if you want.

However, even if one wasn't fan of his, everyone must recognise, apart his talented voice, the fact that he combined so greatly two differents words like lirical and pop music. Before him, nobody could even imagine to do what he did.

However, even if one wasn't fan of his, everyone must recognise, apart his talented voice, the fact that he combined so greatly two differents words like lirical and pop music.

I'm not sure about "greatly". But the few recordings I have of him performing good music are very good indeed.

They are tho whole different worlds. Before him no one could even imagine to combine them as duets. I've never went to any Pavarotti & Friends or never been a fan of this weird experiments, but it's admirable that he, a so respectable and important tenor, made this risky choice. And he succeded.