Who wrote the best...

Quintus

Sci-fi theme? JW - Star Wars.

Love Theme? Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian.

Cool theme? John Barry - The Ipcress File.

Superhero theme? JW - Superman.

Evil theme? Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen.

Adventure theme? JW - Jurassic Park, Journey To The Island fanfare.

Epic theme? Howard Shore - The 'Nature' theme from lotr. And The Planet Krypton

Other worldly haunting theme? JW - The Ark from Raiders.

Western theme? Jerome Moross - Big Country

Comedy theme? JW - March Of The Villains from Superman.

Horror theme? JW - Jaws

Action theme? Hans Zimmer - The Battle, from Gladiator.

A few genres off the top of my head and my personal faves with regards to them. What are yours?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sci-fi theme? The Mountain theme, from CEOT3K

Love Theme? Bernard Herrmann, Scene D'Amour, or John Williams, theme from Sabrina

Cool theme? Henry Mancini, the Pink Panther

Superhero theme? Danny Elfman, the Batman Theme

Evil theme? John Williams, the Emperor's theme

Adventure theme? John Williams, the Raiders March

Epic theme? John Williams, the Planet Krypton

Other worldly haunting theme? The Ark theme, no question here

Western theme? Basil Poledouris, Theme from Lonesome Dove

Comedy theme? John Williams, The Tale of Victor Navorsky

Horror theme? Bernard Herrmann, Prelude from Psycho

Action theme? John Williams, the Asteroid Field

That's a joke, right?

Sci-fi theme? John Williams: Star Wars main theme; Anything from Close Encounters...; Anything from War of the Worlds; Broughton: Lost in Space

Love Theme? John Williams: Sabrina; Sayuri's Theme; Toy Planes, Home and Heart from Empire of the Sun; Over the Moon and ET and Me from ET; Bernard Herrmann: Scene d'Amour from Vertigo; The Ghost and Mrs Muir theme; Raksin: Laura; Jerry Goldsmith: Katia from Russia House

Cool theme? John Williams: Closing In and Joy Ride from Catch me if you Can; Jerry Goldsmith: Russia House

Superhero theme? John Williams: Superman; Steiner: Adventures of Don Juan; Korngold; Adventures of Robin Hood

Evil theme? John Williams: Duel of the Fates; Bernard Herrmann: Finale from Psycho; Cape Fear main theme

Adventure theme? John Williams: the Raiders March; Indy's Very First Adventure, Flying theme from ET; Brougton: Young Sherlock Holmes

Epic theme? John Williams: The Planet Krypton; Force Theme; Hymn to the Fallen; Miklos Rozsa: Parade of the Charioteeres and the Nativity theme from Ben-Hur; Steiner: Gone With the Wind

Other worldly haunting theme? John Williams: The Apearence of the Visitors and Finale from Close Encounters of the Lost Kind; Adventures on Earth from ET; Rozsa: Paranoia theme from Spellbound; Broughton: The Boy who Could Fly main theme

Western theme? Basil Poledouris: Theme from Lonesome Dove; Jerome Moross: The Big Country; John Williams: Missouri Breaks; Broughton: Silverado; Tombstone

Comedy theme? John Williams: The Sentries from 1941; The Terminal; Anything by John Morris for a Mel Brooks picture; Jerry Goldsmith: The Burbs

Horror theme? Bernard Herrmann: Prelude from Psycho; The stabing scene from Sisters; John Williams: The Fury main title; The Abduction of Barry from Close Encounters; The Basement scene in War of the Worlds.

Action theme? John Williams: Sail Barge Assault from Return of the Jedi; Adventures on Earth from ET. The Intersection Scene in War of the Worlds.

Sci-fi theme? John Williams - 5-note theme from CEot3K .

Love Theme? John Williams - Superman // Nobuo Uematsu - Aerit's Theme ("Final Fantasy VII").

Cool theme? John Barry - 007 Theme

Superhero theme? Danny Elfman - Batman

Evil theme? John Williams - Imperial March.

Adventure theme? John Williams - The Raider's March.

Epic theme? Howard Shore - "The 'Nature' theme from LotR. // JW- The Planet Krypton from "Superman" // Horner - Elora Danan ("Willow")

Other worldly haunting theme? JW - The Ark from Raiders [again, cannot come up with anything else].

Western theme? Elmer Bernstein - Magnificent Seven // Ennio Morricone - Man With the Harmonica ("Once Upon a Time in the West")

Comedy theme? Hans Zimmer - Spanglish // John Williams - Tale of Victor Navorsky ("Terminal")

Horror theme? John Carpenter - Halloween

Action theme? JW - Escape/Chase part from the ET finale // John Debeny - Cutthroat Island. // probably something from Goldmisth (I am not yet eligible to answer that)

That's a joke, right?

Nope. With regards to my choices I'm not thinking entire cues, but the actual themes within them. Some themes are standalone pieces in their own right of course. Therefore by that criteria I'd have to ask which theme or motifs do you refer to in Sail Barge Assault? Gladiator's The Battle is a long cue, but the music has two very exciting action themes within it of which I'm refering to, especially the one heard whenever Maximus does anything heroic.

Sorry for not being more specific :lol:

Other worldly haunting theme? JW - The Ark from Raiders [again, cannot come up with anything else].

Well the 'Other Side' theme from Poltergeist is very effective, but still; it doesn't come close to the Ark theme.

This is fun!

Love Theme? John Barry - Somewhere in Time.

Cool theme? Lalo Schifrin - Mission Impossible.

Superhero theme? JW - Superman.

Evil theme? Lalo Schifrin - The Amityville Horror.

Adventure theme? John Williams Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Epic theme? Alex North Spartacus. And Cheyenne Autumn

Other worldly haunting theme? Jerry Goldsmith Opening Titles (film version) from Alien or Toru Takemitsu's opening from Ran. Haunting!

Western theme? Fumio Hayasaka - The Seven Samurai technically not a Western but Kurosawa set the standard for westerns with his films

Moster Theme? Akira Ifukube- Gojira

Comedy theme? Marvin Hamlisch Bananas. no competiton really. When you write for slide whistle, kazoo and assorted percussion, hilarity follows

Action theme? Jerry Goldsmith - New Friend from Papillon or Hanging On from First Blood.

Fantasy Theme? Alex North- Dragonslayer

That's a joke, right?

Nope. With regards to my choices I'm not thinking entire cues, but the actual themes within them. Some themes are standalone pieces in their own right of course. Therefore by that criteria I'd have to ask which theme or motifs do you refer to in Sail Barge Assault? Gladiator's The Battle is a long cue, but the music has two very exciting action themes within it of which I'm refering to, especially the one heard whenever Maximus does anything heroic.

I prefer the Star wars theme (scoring Luke's heroics) than MV crap from Gladiator.

anyday. anywhere.

This is fun!

Other worldly haunting theme? Jerry Goldsmith Opening Titles (film version) from Alien or Toru Takemitsu's opening from Ran. Haunting!

Yeah, Ran is a great choice indeed.

That's a joke, right?

Well the 'Other Side' theme from Poltergeist is very effective, but still; it doesn't come close to the Ark theme.

Well, I won't argue, but I just haven't really found anything by Zimmer that can fully stand on its own. But that's just me.

And yeah, Poltergeist crossed my mind.

Another great love theme is Alex North's Cleopatra.

Sci-fi theme? Alexander Courage - Star Trek

Love Theme? John Williams - Jane Eyre

Cool theme? Monty Norman/John Barry - 007 Theme

Superhero theme? Danny Elfman - Batman.

Adventure theme? John Williams - Raiders

Epic theme? Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide "Mutiny"

Other worldly haunting theme? Jerry Goldsmith - V'Ger

Western theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Bandolero!

Comedy theme? Jerry Goldsmith - The 'Burbs

Horror theme? Bernard Herrmann - SCREECH SCREECH from Psycho

Action theme? Hans Zimmer - The Battle - Gladiator.

'Dana's Theme'?

Really? 'Ave Satani' always struck me as a very goofy theme. I love it, but the music that really still freaks me out is the cacophanous chanting.

Ah. I missed out on the Varese CD. Waited and waited with it...than it was gone. Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, 'I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later...' And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Love Theme? JW - Han Solo & Princess

Cool theme? JW - CMIYC

Superhero theme? JW - Raiders

Evil theme? JW -Emperor's theme

Adventure theme? JW - Jurassic Park, Journey To The Island fanfare.

Epic theme? JW - Far & Away

Other worldly haunting theme? JW - The Medallion from Raiders.

Western theme?JW - The Cowboys(for the big orch)

Comedy theme? JW - E.T's Halloween

Horror theme? JW - Jaws

Action theme? JW - Anything from Jedi

Sci-fi theme? John Williams - Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye - John Williams (E.T.)

Love Theme? John Williams - Love Theme from Superman

Cool theme? Henry Mancini/Michael Giacchino - Pink Panther Main Theme/The Incredits

Superhero theme? John Williams - Superman.

Evil theme? John Williams - Imperial March (Empire Strikes Back)

Adventure theme? John Williams - Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Epic theme? Alan Silvestri - Suite from the Polar Express

Other worldly haunting theme? John Williams - The Map Room: Dawn (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Western theme? Elmer Bernstein - Theme from Magnificent Seven

Comedy theme? Alan Silvestri/ John Williams - End Titles (Mousehunt)/ The Tale of Viktor Navorski (The Terminal)

Horror theme? John Williams - The Chamber of Secrets

Action theme? John Williams - Indy's Very First Adventure (Last Crusade)/ Sherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (Last Crusade)

And some extras:

Saddest Theme?John Williams - Anakin's Betrayal (Revenge of Sith)

Creepiest Theme? John Williams - Spyders (Minority Report)

Most Beautiful Theme? John Williams - Buckbeak's Flight (Prisoner of Azkaban)

Best Choral Theme? John Williams - Duel of the Fates

John Williams features too many times in you choices. That is controversial, here on the JWFan board.

Most of my favorite scores are by John Williams. Is that wrong?

Sci-fi theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Love Theme?Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Cool theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct

Superhero theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Supergirl

Adventure theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek TMP

Epic theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Other worldly haunting theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Poltergeist

Western theme? Jerry Goldsmith - The Wild Rovers

Comedy theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins

Horror theme? Jerry Goldsmith - -The Omen

Action theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood part II

John Williams features too many times in you choices. That is controversial, here on the JWFan board.

All of Steef's are JG, but he isn't being bashed about that. At least I have SOME variety.

Can you think of a better Goldsmith adventure theme? I'm more then willing to consider it....

If you have the complete/expanded First Knight, listen to Guinevere's Abduction and Lancelot's Pursuit. The last minute and half or so of the former and the first minute of the latter combine to form the best adventure writing Goldsmith did in his entire career.

Especially the first minute or so of Lancelot in Pursuit, word's don't describe it.

Sci-fi theme? Goldsmith, TMP

Love Theme? Williams, Star Wars

Cool theme? Monty Norman / John Barry, Dr. No

Superhero theme? Elfman, Spider-man

Evil theme? Williams, Return of the Jedi (The Emperor's theme)

Adventure theme? Williams, Raiders of the Lost Ark

Epic theme? Shore, plenty of stuff from Lord of the Rings, or Max Steiner, Gone with the Wind ("Tara's Theme")

Other worldly haunting theme? Williams, Raiders of the Lost Ark (Ark theme)

Western theme? haven't really heard enough

Comedy theme? eh

Horror theme? Hermann, Psycho

Action theme? not sure, maybe Williams, Star Wars ("TIE Fighter Attack")

If you have the complete/expanded First Knight, listen to Guinevere's Abduction and Lancelot's Pursuit. The last minute and half or so of the former and the first minute of the latter combine to form the best adventure writing Goldsmith did in his entire career.

Especially the first minute or so of Lancelot in Pursuit, word's don't describe it.

It's good, its very very good. But as Goldsmith scores go, parts of it are a bit....thin.

I did read that he was terrible rushed though, so much that he almost relented to the director and use O Fortuna instead of writing his own choral piece.

Sci-fi theme? Star Wars Theme - J.Williams

Love Theme? Across The Stars - J.Williams

Cool theme? Mission Impossible - D.Elfman

Superhero theme? Indiana Jones - J.Williams

Evil theme? Sauron's Theme - H.Shore

Adventure theme? Hedwig's Theme - J.Williams

Epic theme? Light Of The Force (Force Theme) - J.Williams

Other worldly haunting theme? A Window To The Past - J.Williams

Western theme? ???

Comedy theme? Cantina Band - J.Williams

Horror theme? Intersection Scene - J.Williams

Action theme? Duel Of The Fates - J.Williams

It's good, its very very good. But as Goldsmith scores go, parts of it are a bit....thin.

I did read that he was terrible rushed though, so much that he almost relented to the director and use O Fortuna instead of writing his own choral piece.

Rushed or not Lancelot in Pursuit is still a better adventure cue than TMP Main Title or Klingon Battle. ;)

All of Steef's are JG, but he isn't being bashed about that. At least I have SOME variety.

Jesus christ give me a chance! Oh and you walked right into it. The bait I mean.

But what the hell:

Sci-fi theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Love Theme?Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Cool theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct

Superhero theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Supergirl

Adventure theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek TMP

Epic theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: TMP

Other worldly haunting theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Poltergeist

Western theme? Jerry Goldsmith - The Wild Rovers

Comedy theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins

Horror theme? Jerry Goldsmith - -The Omen

Action theme? Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood part II

Jerry Goldsmith features too many times in your choices. That is controversial, here on the JGFan board.

Except that Dana's Theme is at the top of my all-time best love themes list.

There are times I scratch my had at you. But to each his own I suppose.

OK OK I admit it I love the melody...just not the overall presentation of it in the track. But it's a Ghostbuster's score so what can you expect.

Speaking of Bernstein, his little melody for the main titles of To Kill a Mockingbird would make excellent romantic material.

Because unlike you, I am considered an authority. My words carry weight.....

Only in your mind.

Would the main theme from Star Wars even be considered sci-fi? It has always been more adventurous to me.

Saddest theme: John Williams - "Remembrances", Schindler's List

Because unlike you, I am considered an authority. My words carry weight.....

Keep telling yourself that.

If that is true (which it isn't), then I vote to impeach.