Fellowship of the Ring is a great score.

Henry B

Well, let's at least admit the abundance of whole notes in LOTR. While it may not detract for many, it makes it a littler stale to these ears.

Yes, that's always been one of my main criticisms too.

There are a few great moments in the score, but you can't honestly tell me that you ENJOY listening to 2 minutes of men groaning in Palpatine's Teachings and such other moments.

Well that cue in particular is source music, so it's accomplishing something different.

John- who likes a lot of the RotS underscore

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's at least admit the abundance of whole notes in LOTR. While it may not detract for many, it makes it a littler stale to these ears.

Like whole notes are bad or something? Music can never be slow or simple, it has to be intricate and layered at every moment?

Like whole notes are bad or something? Music can never be slow or simple, it has to be intricate and layered at every moment?

No, but LOTR features some looong notes.

Its like the miriads of slow motion scenes in the LOTR movies. They just add length, not actual content.

BTW you cannot name the peak of film scoring a simple score, right? LOTR is not simple anyway...

Don't start bashing RotS just because it's a popular score, and you think it will somehow do damage to the person you're arguing with. It's a fantastic score, and 99% is great!

Not to *these* ears.

I'm not bashing ROTS because it's popular, I'm bashing it because I think it's for the most part Williams on autopilot.

And what the hell does the "amount of whole notes" have to do with anything? I get it, next time I'm trying to evaluate a score, I won't look for thematic density, emotion or expression, but instead just count the whole notes and adjust my rating accordingly.

H is for hogwash, Utter.

No, but LOTR features some looong notes.

Its like the miriads of slow motion scenes in the LOTR movies. They just add length, not actual content.

BTW you cannot name the peak of film scoring a simple score, right? LOTR is not simple anyway...

Actually,you describe what I can't stand about the LotR scores.It seems the whole thing is in slow motion with long notes that stretch forever.

K.M.