BBC documentary

Trumpeteer

We now have access to the 1980 documentary on John Williams during the scoring of this Web site's favorite score, and no one's talking about it??!!!??

I consider this a very enlightening documentary, and I watched it twice. I really was glad to see JW in the creative process. He's so nice to everyone. And Ben Burtt is a bastard (nothing new learned there).

My favorite part was watching the carbon freezing scene with bad sound and dialogue, then to watch it as the music was recorded, complete with that unused portion.

So, I've opened the floodgates. Talk!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Ben Burtt is a bastard (nothing new learned there).

I fast forward whenever Burtt starts talking. I don't need to know what airplane or whose toilet the last sound effect came from.

My favorite parts were easily all the behind the scenes footage: working with Ken Wannberg and Herbert Spencer, spotting sessions, writing, the recording sessions. I have a feeling there's quite a bit of stuff like that recorded for the prequel documentaries that we've never seen.

John- who hardly looks at that YouTube thread anymore

I try to be real quick before this will be closed because it's not LotR related.

I just love this document and now when I managed to load it to my hard drive , I have

watched it multiple times.

Ken Wannberg and Herbert Spencer stuff are great and the carbon freezing scene + Jane Eyre clips.

It's so wonderful to watch mr.Williams at work , no matter how talented and well-trained he is , I always

enjoy seeing that he is so hardworking and dedicated to his job.

I think it's interesting to watch the doc with hindsight. For instance, seeing Spielberg sitting there with Williams, when the last film Spielberg had worked on was 1941, and was a flop. Little did the public know that things were getting ready to turn around...

What continues to strike me when viewing this thing is how business-like everyone is about the scoring sessions. It's as if it's just another day at the office; they had no idea that fanboys would be discussing that particular score 27 years later, putting it in polls...

Well I finally watched the documentary on my big TV! It's fantastic. What a treat to see John Williams at work in the privacy of his own home. There were some wonderful touches. I love the look on John Williams and Ken Wannberg's face when they are watching a rough cut of Empire and Leia gives out a slightly orgasmic sounding shriek. John and Ken have to hide their smiles! It was also very nice to see Williams working closely with his orchestrator on the score to Empire. It really goes to show that despite all the controversy about orchestration Williams really did have the final creative word on his music.