Jump to content

The Shadow Knows... Do you?


Recommended Posts

Has anyone here seen The Shadow? I really like the movie, but not too many people I know have seen it. Goldsmith's score is brilliant. Very dark, but there is a great love theme that lifts you right up. The soundtrack is next to impossible to get because it was discontinued, though it really is great music. I have the score, and I won't sell it, but I am curious to see who else has seen it.

~Conor

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't seen the film in 20 years, but the score is pretty good. Even though it's less similar to Elfman's BATMAN as people claim, it's very much in the same mold, based on a similar approach. It wo

Has anyone here seen The Shadow? I really like the movie, but not too many people I know have seen it. Goldsmith's score is brilliant. Very dark, but there is a great love theme that lifts you righ

Oh God, no. That is in a different class all of its own.

Hell, I'll one up you. I saw The Shadow in the THEATER when it first came out!

I remember enjoying it quite a bit, especially the score. I'd throw a sheet over my head and pretend I was the Shadow with my young cousin and I'd hum the theme song.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, though I don't remeber because I was eight at the time, I saw it in theaters too. I never threw a sheet over my head though. But I did get two opportunities to dress up as him, once for halloween of '94, once this year in spirit week at school. Ha, beat that.

~Conor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ive seen that film and I like it too. Im surprised not that many people have heard of it. Music was rather good too.

Hmmm that made me think about searching for the soundtrack now. I must be able to find it somewhere :mrgreen:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 18 years later...

Oh, my, it's wonderful that 2-decades-old conversations can be picked up just like that! :jerry: 

 

And I still love the score to The Shadow, as well as the movie itself. My friends even scheduled a viewing of it into my bachelor party in 2011.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, is @RomanticStrings related to @Sweeping Strings?

@Jurassic Shark, not that I am aware of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RomanticStrings said:

Oh, my, it's wonderful that 2-decades-old conversations can be picked up just like that! :jerry: 

 

And I still love the score to The Shadow, as well as the movie itself. My friends even scheduled a viewing of it into my bachelor party in 2011.

@Jurassic Shark, not that I am aware of.

 

Frankly, I didn't expect to get an answer from you, but it's very cool that you're still around! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

These poor people from 2002 had one more decade to wait for an expansion of this magnificent score.

 

Didn't it sell out just recently, or am I mixing it up with something else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently bought the Australian release of the blu-ray. Nice grainy picture, looks completely untampered with.

 

I have two copies of the score. It's probably my favourite Goldsmith score, so I wanted another one incase one got broken!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RomanticStrings said:

Oh, my, it's wonderful that 2-decades-old conversations can be picked up just like that! :jerry: 

 

And I still love the score to The Shadow, as well as the movie itself. My friends even scheduled a viewing of it into my bachelor party in 2011.

@Jurassic Shark, not that I am aware of.


I'd just like to confirm this. My remaining relatives are my mother and sister, neither of whom would have the slightest interest in this site (or in my mother's case, in the internet in general).  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread made want to listen to The Phantom for the first time, as The Shadow is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. And from what I've heard, The Phantom sounds like it is a really, really fun score. It's sold out at La La Land, correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Romão said:

This thread made want to listen to The Phantom for the first time, as The Shadow is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. And from what I've heard, The Phantom sounds like it is a really, really fun score. It's sold out at La La Land, correct?

 

I don't know, but the (superior) OST should be widely available, especially after people 'upgraded' (or, as I see it, 'downgraded') to the LLL expansion and got rid of their old albums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thor said:

 

I don't know, but the (superior) OST should be widely available, especially after people 'upgraded' (or, as I see it, 'downgraded') to the LLL expansion and got rid of their old albums.

 

Oh great, for some reason. I thought the La La Edition was the premiere release of the score

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thor said:

 

I don't know, but the (superior) OST should be widely available, especially after people 'upgraded' (or, as I see it, 'downgraded') to the LLL expansion and got rid of their old albums.

 

Have you heard the expansion? Does it add much unreleased music?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cautiously sampled it once - a digital promo upon release - but quickly discarded it. There's about 30 minutes extra music, but I didn't want to give any of it more attention than I needed; just enough to say that I had "heard it". I don't want my experience of this great score (and score presentation) 'tainted' by this kind of stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thor said:

I cautiously sampled it once - a digital promo upon release - but quickly discarded it. There's about 30 minutes extra music, but I didn't want to give any of it more attention than I needed; just enough to say that I had "heard it". I don't want my experience of this great score (and score presentation) 'tainted' by this kind of stuff.

 

Extra tracks are all shit. Goldsmith should have been ashamed of composing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

 

Extra tracks are all shit. Goldsmith should have been ashamed of composing it.

Are we talking about The Shadow or The Phantom?

 

In The Shadow Intrada release, "The Clouded Mind" is wonderful, with its Dies irae and either that or the following track's funky rhythms/awesome horns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RomanticStrings said:

Are we talking about The Shadow or The Phantom?

 

In The Shadow Intrada release, "The Clouded Mind" is wonderful, with its Dies irae and either that or the following track's funky rhythms/awesome horns.

 

The extra Newman tracks are a disgrace too. He should be ashamed of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...