Favorite Current TV Shows

John Crichton

The problem here is that we get everything much much much later than anyone else-- if ever; and when we do get them (on a regular channel, not on pay TV), they screw it up by showing the episodes of some series in the most random order (CSI or Monk, for instance: 2.12, 2.13, then the never-broadcast-before 3.5, then back to re-runs or whatever). And they always run them by twos or threes, which means it's over 2 months and you have to wait 10 months for the rest instead of just 5 or 6.

In no particular order...

Always thrilling; amazing how they manage to puch the envelope even more each season.

Lost

A very intriguing premise, lots of mysteries, with nice work on the characters through the backgrounds.

Prison Break

Ingenious, suspenseful.

Without a Trace

Interesting cases, treated well; keeps getting better.

Monk

What with changing times, "you see it, no you don't see it, now you see it again" scheduling, and out-of-order broadcasting, I have not been able to follow it since the first or second season and have only seen a few episodes once in a while (last Sunday for instance).

The Shield

A public channel finally started showing this series a few weeks ago, after it had been held hostage by private pay channel Canal Plus for five years; after changing times and showing it four days per week, they stopped at teh end of season three (and replaced it with NYPD Blue, starting with episode 3.16 out of 22!).

A msot excellent series, remarkably well written-- cases, continuity stories, characters, dialogue.

Battlestar Galactica

I liked the pilot a lot when it was shown nearly to years ago. We have not had, and will not ever have, a single episode since-- ie, not on that channel; it's pay channel or nothing. They won't get my money, so I'll wait for the complete series DVD set (or HD set or hologram set, maybe, by the time it's over).

C.S.I.

Whatever the city, it's always fun to watch-- but, as stated above, having everything shown in utter disorder ruins the continuity; in one episode you'll hear references to a character that has disappeared, and only learn in the second episode shown that they had quitted or been killed, then back to an episode at the end of the season.

I love the way they show the evidence & analyses.

N.C.I.S.

A good show that has considerably improved, especially in the third season. Season four starts next week, and guess what I saw in that week's program and the next? They will show 9 episodes within one week (Friday, Tuesday, Friday); if they keep it this way, it will be over under a month!

The humor has much improved-- it was forced or rather dumb in the first seasons. The characters have improved as well, Zhiva [sp?] is a good addition, and there have been lots of good stories.

- - - Edit - - -

Heroes

I liked this a lot.

obhulk001a.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know if the theme song to the Office has ever been officially released?

Not officially, but PM me if you want it. It's great, isn't it?

Also, I want to add It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to my list. I was introduced to the series by a couple friends, and it's just hilarious. It's on FX, and I think it's in its third season now.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm a fan of that show as well. It's very funny, despite being about some really horrible people.

Battlestar Galactica

I liked the pilot a lot when it was shown nearly to years ago. We have not had, and will not ever have, a single episode since-- ie, not on that channel; it's pay channel or nothing. They won't get my money, so I'll wait for the complete series DVD set (or HD set or hologram set, maybe, by the time it's over).

Well the show is ending after next year so hopefully it won't be too long until you can get a hold of it. Holograms might be a bit much to ask, though. :(

The Sarah Silverman Program

Ah yes, the "what happens when you forget to change the channel after South Park ends" penatly. I've never been able to watch more than a couple of mintues, and always with this expression: <_<

Ah yes, the "what happens when you forget to change the channel after South Park ends" penatly. I've never been able to watch more than a couple of mintues, and always with this expression: <_<

You and I are one in the same.

Has anyone watched the new show, Pushing Daisies, on ABC? There have been just 2 episodes so far and it is amazing. The characters, the plot, and the dialogue are all top notch. Not to mention that the visual style is just incredible. It has a bit of a Tim Burton feel to it, and it appears to also be influenced by the film, Amelie. In my opinion, it is the best new show this season. BTW, I also watch Lost, Heroes, Conan O'Brien, and Scrubs (occaisionally).

Also, I want to add It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to my list. I was introduced to the series by a couple friends, and it's just hilarious. It's on FX, and I think it's in its third season now.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm a fan of that show as well. It's very funny, despite being about some really horrible people.

Similiar to another great show, Seinfeld.

I just bought the Office Season 3 on DVD. HILARIOUS!!!

Ray Barnsbury

I know, they are truly awful human beings! But damn, do they make me laugh.

Isn't it though? Not quote up to the level of Season 1 (brief as it was) or the phenomenal Season 2 IMO, but still great. There are tons of deleted scenes and a great blooper reel on the set too.

Ray Barnsbury

Isn't it though? Not quote up to the level of Season 1 (brief as it was) or the phenomenal Season 2 IMO, but still great. There are tons of deleted scenes and a great blooper reel on the set too.

Ray Barnsbury

Really? I've just been getting into the Office, I haven't seen too many episodes, and I don't know if I've seen anything from season 1. I got three, because, IMO, shows like Seinfeld only got better over time, so i assume that was the same for the Office. Perhaps I was wrong?

Well, in my opinion Season 3 was a bit of a backtrack from Season 2...it was a little "darker" overall, in the aftermath of the pivotal Season 2 finale, and didn't always have the brilliantly subtle edge that ran throughout the earlier seasons. I think they looked outside the office too often also, relying more on larger gags/events than finding hilarity in mundane, everyday office activities like picking a health care plan or a sexual harassment seminar. It was still terrific overall, though, with numerous outstanding episodes. In any case, I HIGHLY recommend checking out seasons 1 and 2 (the first is only 6 episodes, but still great).

Ray Barnsbury

I'll right, I'll get those, if my budget allows. ;)

Love the "A Benihana's Christmas." My favorite episode so far.

indy4 - who laughed out loud in the recent epsidoe at the part with the box that bounced around on the TV screen.

Ah yes, the "what happens when you forget to change the channel after South Park ends" penatly. I've never been able to watch more than a couple of mintues, and always with this expression: :lol:

Ah, so very many people completely misunderstand this show. And sadly, most of them still watch South Park despite the fact that it hasn't been funny in years.

Never seen her show, but from what I've seen of her stand-up/hosting gigs, her jokes are very "obvious" and humorlessly crude (ie, joking about Paris Hilton being a slut - who'da thunk?!)

Ray Barnsbury

I'm really enjoying it. The most recent episode in particular was great, I thought. It's hard to judge against earlier seasons and episodes that have become classics to an extent, but I'd say it's holding its own. Nice to see

Jim and Pam together at last, but I know it can't all be happy-go-lucky forever

! (spoilers just in case anyone is watching the show on DVD and isn't up to date)

How about you?

Ray Barnsbury

Ah yes, the "what happens when you forget to change the channel after South Park ends" penatly. I've never been able to watch more than a couple of mintues, and always with this expression: :(

Ah, so very many people completely misunderstand this show. And sadly, most of them still watch South Park despite the fact that it hasn't been funny in years.

South Park's been on fire the last few years. They finally got over the being crude and disgusting just to shock people phase and actually got smart again (with last week's "biggest crap" episode being a sad exception).

I'm really enjoying it. The most recent episode in particular was great, I thought. It's hard to judge against earlier seasons and episodes that have become classics to an extent, but I'd say it's holding its own. Nice to see

! (spoilers just in case anyone is watching the show on DVD and isn't up to date)

How about you?

Ray Barnsbury

Yes,

it wouldn't be dramatic enough for TV if they stayed together. I really wish they would, though, and I usually don't care about that kind of

stuff!

Has anyone watched the new show, Pushing Daisies, on ABC? There have been just 2 episodes so far and it is amazing. The characters, the plot, and the dialogue are all top notch. Not to mention that the visual style is just incredible. It has a bit of a Tim Burton feel to it, and it appears to also be influenced by the film, Amelie. In my opinion, it is the best new show this season. BTW, I also watch Lost, Heroes, Conan O'Brien, and Scrubs (occaisionally).

There already kissing through saran wrap.I'm just waiting for them to have sex in a giant body condom.after that it will be cancelled

South Park's been on fire the last few years. They finally got over the being crude and disgusting just to shock people phase and actually got smart again (with last week's "biggest crap" episode being a sad exception).

I have to disagree. South Park, much like The Simpsons, is out of gas and needs to be canceled as soon as possible. It will save innumerable brain cells.

I'm sorry, but it's true. I think Futurama is better overall, but FOX is just stupid and doesn't realize which shows they have are good or bad.

Futurama was a great show and still FOX decides to bring back Family Guy. <_<

I'm glad they brought back Family Guy, it truly deserved it. They only canceled it in the first place because of its content.

Futurama deserves to be brought too though. There are going to be 4 movies, broken down into 16 episodes, all new material.

Family Guy is good but Futurama is easily my favorite of the animated comidies, even more than The Simpsons at it's peak. More than anything I love it's pure, unflinching, unapologetic geekiness.

I just watched an episode of Pushing Daisies. I see what the hype's about, I like what I see. Very witty.

There were a lot of good laugh lines, and the performances sold it perfectly. Some unique direction too, but not so over the top or unusual to really make it too strange.

OK, if you weren't rolling on the floor laughing your butt off on South Park's perfect send-up of M. Night Shamalyan and Michael Bay, you don't know what humor is.

I know what humor is then.

"Mr. Bay, we need some ideas on how to stop the terrorists."

- How 'bout an 18-wheeler flips over and these explosions and KABOOOSH and then dinosaurs come out and ARGGHH!!

"That's not an idea, that's special effects."

- I don't know the difference.

"We know, Mr. Bay. Get him outta here!"

<_<

How about you?

Ray Barnsbury

Oh, I'm enjoying it a lot. The latest episode was great ("Money"), especially the disturbing/hilarious stay at the Shrute Bed & Breakfast.

I thought "Money" was great too, maybe the best so far this season. It had a nice mixture of sweetness along with the funnier bits (Jim's talk with Dwight, the kiss, Jan and Michael on the train).

Ray Barnsbury

How good is Alias, really?

I've been tempted to purchase the complete series for a while...

Careful, it's for a younger audience.

Now it's my turn. I'm tempted to buy Heroes. Is this a show for me?

I think there's one show everyone here likes...

americanidol.jpg

;)

Indy4 - who dislikes American Idol, in case any of you missed the smiley

For those *if there are any* who actually watch this show, a friend of mine who i sing in church with is going to Hollywood this month to audition. He went to New York for the first round, and then met the trio of judges in Philadelphia and they liked him so now he's off to Hollywood. His name is Jose ________ something. Never asked him what his last name is.

Outside of sports I ind myself watching less and less TV.

The shows I do watch:

E.R. - this show needs to end.

Scrubs

Family Guy

American Dad

South Park

Nip/Tuck

and once Football Season is over with I'll go back to CBS' Monday night comedy lineup.

My wife watches all 3 CSI shows and Ghost Whisperer.

I used to watch the original British verison of Whose Line on Comedy Central way back, before the US version was even being made. Funny stuff, but not really good for repeat viewing. Guess that's improv for you.

• 2 weeks later...