Favorite Current TV Shows

John Crichton

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galactica and Who are still my big ones (I'll bump up the Season 4 Galactica thread for Friday night, believe me :mrgreen:) along with South Park, and I still enjoy Survivor.

Lost and 24 I'm still watching casually. I watched most of the 24 premier(s) the last couple of nights but spent more time sniggering at it than really watching it. There's nothing new there anymore.

CYE is done

I thought it was renewed for 2 more seasons?

Where did you see that? I thought LD said Season 6 would be the last and I can't imagine how the show would pick up after that last finale. If it came back I'd probably continue to watch it, but honestly I think they should hang it up for good.

I watched most of the 24 premier(s) the last couple of nights but spent more time sniggering at it than really watching it. There's nothing new there anymore.

I thought it was a very nice breath of fresh air. There may not be enough new for your tastes, but there's hardly "nothing" new. The show is taking place in a different city and with only a few of the same characters. We'll see if they manage to actually come up with fundamentally new plot elements, though.

We'll see if they manage to actually come up with fundamentally new plot elements, though.

And therein lies the nub of the "there's nothing new" problem. I hate formulaic TV, and 24 has become as formulaic as they come.

I watched most of the 24 premier(s) the last couple of nights but spent more time sniggering at it than really watching it. There's nothing new there anymore.

I sniggered a bit, too, considering how much it liberally borrowed from Die Hard 2. But I still enjoyed it, and I'll watch it faithfully all season. It's nice to see the groundwork laid for multiple parallel storylines so soon, because this plot truly does involve feints within feints within feints.

Irony: The bad guy from RoboCop judging Jack Bauer about the illegality of torturing terrorists.

We'll see if they manage to actually come up with fundamentally new plot elements, though.

And therein lies the nub of the "there's nothing new" problem. I hate formulaic TV, and 24 has become as formulaic as they come.

I'm splitting hairs, but therein lies the "there's not enough new for you" problem. It's not like this is shaping up like season 6 again or anything like that. But yes, 24 has an amazing aptitude for becoming formulaic.

CYE is done

I thought it was renewed for 2 more seasons?

Where did you see that? I thought LD said Season 6 would be the last and I can't imagine how the show would pick up after that last finale. If it came back I'd probably continue to watch it, but honestly I think they should hang it up for good.

Well I didn't think how it could possibly come back after the season 5 finale - I mean he DIED and went to heaven! But I thought he agreed to come back for a 6th and 7th season after that.

Well I didn't think how it could possibly come back after the season 5 finale - I mean he DIED and went to heaven! But I thought he agreed to come back for a 6th and 7th season after that.

Didn't he wake up at the end of the season 5 finale when Jeff and Cheryl were arguing over money? I've only ever seen each CYE episode once, my memory is a little hazy.

Don't worry. 24 does have Manny Coto and Brannon Braga as executive producers. If it becomes too formulaic, they can always dip into the Rick Berman well for fresh ideas. That means giving Agent Walker or Chloe a catsuit. Or just ditching the whole contemporary American political scene entirely, and making aliens the bad guys.

The last thing I remember about 24 was Jacks daughter being chased by a mountain lion or something. She's not still on the show is she? I only watched the first couple seasons.

The name is familiar, but I don't think I've seen any of the episodes. Andy Barker P.I. was hilarious. Andy Richter's shows never last, he's a funny actor.

He should return to Conan when Conan takes over the Tonight Show.

The name is familiar, but I don't think I've seen any of the episodes. Andy Barker P.I. was hilarious. Andy Richter's shows never last, he's a funny actor.

He should return to Conan when Conan takes over the Tonight Show.

That could work, but it's been so long since he was on the show that I'm not so sure.

I don't care what you all say about 24, I for one still like it and think it's awesome even now so for Season 7. To me it looks like Season 7 might better than Season 6.

This past Friday was Stargate Atlantis' final episode. :( That show will be missed big time. I mean I know they got two direct to DVD movies planned but it still won't be the same. There's also the third Stargate SG-1 movie in the works which will center more around Jack O'Neill and it's reported RDA will definitely be in it.

The only other shows that are on I enjoy are 24, Heroes (when it returns) and Ghost Hunters (when that too returns).

I don't care what you all say about 24, I for one still like it and think it's awesome even now so for Season 7. To me it looks like Season 7 might better than Season 6.

This past Friday was Stargate Atlantis' final episode. :( That show will be missed big time. I mean I know they got two direct to DVD movies planned but it still won't be the same. There's also the third Stargate SG-1 movie in the works which will center more around Jack O'Neill and it's reported RDA will definitely be in it.

The only other shows that are on I enjoy are 24, Heroes (when it returns) and Ghost Hunters (when that too returns).

sadly Atlantis went out with a fart.

that was not a good episode, not terrible but the show deserved better.

There is the new Stargate series coming soon too, I'll try it on for size.

sadly Atlantis went out with a fart.

that was not a good episode, not terrible but the show deserved better.

There is the new Stargate series coming soon too, I'll try it on for size.

Ya I know about Stargate: Universe coming. Actually I agree with you the finale episode didn't have that much of an punch for being a series finale ending. To me it seemed like a season finale ending which would open up to a new season.

24 is off to a good start. I'm cautiously optimistic for season 7, even after the rubbish that was season 6.

Someone mentioned them ripping off Die Hard 2. I see what you mean, but it borrows even more from Die Hard 4.0 with the whole CIP Firewall thing that's going on. I guess nobody even remembers that movie anymore. :(

Other than that, I'm all ready for my favorite Lost to get back on air.

I'll try and see if volume 4 of Heroes will get any better. Surely, it can't be worse than volume 3 was?

Also following Scrubs and Robot Chicken.

I'll try and see if volume 4 of Heroes will get any better. Surely, it can't be worse than volume 3 was?

It was better than Volume 2.

To be honest, Marc, I still haven't seen Die Hard 4.0 yet, though I think I was thinking that very thought about breaching the firewall during last night's episode. So 24 thus far is a happy medley of two Die Hards. Now all we need is Jack Bauer's shoes to come off and some underground dump trucks, and buddy, this show will have it down pat!

To be honest, Marc, I still haven't seen Die Hard 4.0 yet, though I think I was thinking that very thought about breaching the firewall during last night's episode. So 24 thus far is a happy medley of two Die Hards. Now all we need is Jack Bauer's shoes to come off and some underground dump trucks, and buddy, this show will have it down pat!

Well, he stopped a large fan with a machine gun and crawled through last year...

Wish I could say Pushing Daisies. :lol:

Gotta love that Dooley score ;) Took the Emmy from Giacchino. I think that makes it 3 RCP composers to win an Emmy.

Geoff Zanelli for Into The West

Trevor Morris for The Tudors

James Dooley for Pushing Daisies

I'm glad to hear some others are enjoying 24's season 7 like I am. I prefer optimism as long as I can honestly call it a realistic option, and I'd say it's a realistic option for this season so far. It certainly isn't playing out like season 6 so far, which means they've taken several steps in the right direction at the VERY least.

But yeah, Lost is definitely the big one I'm waiting for. And it'll be very nice to see more of The Office, particularly if it's funnier than the first part of the season. Heroes...meh, I'll watch it and probably enjoy at least some of it. But I have no expectations. CSI...well, it'll sure be interesting (in a sad sort of way) to have Grissom gone. Not looking forward to that, but I'm not gonna boycott the show or anything until I'm positive they've jumped the entire shark, and rather than spending too much time narrowly avoiding it.

Wish I could say Pushing Daisies. :lol:

I'm sad about Pushing Daisies too, the second season was going so well, I hope they'll at least show the 3 episodes that are left someday although even that seems unlikely now. It's a shame that aparently only shows about cops, doctors, lawyers or horny rich teenagers can have success.

At least the sondtrack is out finally, just got it last weekend, terrific stuff.

Lost is slowly creeping up (starts Jan 25th over here) and is probably generating the most hype, but after this week's 24 opener, I'm excited for Bauer. I thought it was a strong opening without most of the usual cliches and several moments where they genuinely didn't do what I was expecting (the planes for example - I was expecting something to come in and save the day, but not where it actually came from). That ending was also a powerful and well-timed moment, and I can't wait for Monday because it's apparently episode 4 where the

Tony returning

plot point is explained, and word is that it's pretty believable.

I also await Prison Break which, while an uneven season, took the interesting twist in the last few episodes, although I'm apprehensive about how the new character is involved in all of it.

Otherwise, The Office and Family Guy hold my attention when they're actually on...

Terminator : SCC, still.

Although, it probably won't be on the air long. It's ratings are half of what they were the first season. I'm most interested in it for McCreary's excellent score, and I direly hope a volume 2 will be released because I heard a lot of material in recent episodes better than what was one volume 1.

I kinda disconnected from Prison Break shortly after the beginning of S2.

I'm sad about Pushing Daisies too, the second season was going so well, I hope they'll at least show the 3 episodes that are left someday although even that seems unlikely now.

I only started watching it after Christmas and loved every second of it. Then when I'd seen the latest ep I found out it's been cancelled.

Though why would they sit on the last 3 eps? I'd expect them to be aired/released in *some* way at least, after all they've been produced already.

At least the sondtrack is out finally, just got it last weekend, terrific stuff.

It's on my list of items to get with my next SAE order.

A lot of people didn't like the second season of Prison Break. I was pleasantly surprised by how they managed to keep the show going after, you know, the actual Prison Break. I only saw the first few episodes of season 3, but they felt like they were going down the same route they'd been before. It was also very frustrating to see how the show could have easily ended in the second season finale, only to have it turned around in the last act for no good reason other than to cash in on another season.

Either way, season 4 will be the show's final season (source).

It took me a while to start watching it but I now love Family Guy. I also love Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry is everyone's inner a&^hole, but sometimes he seems to have better morals than most by being honest. Maybe it says something that I like shows where the protagonists are complete bastards.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is an amazing show. I wish they didn't take so long to film seasons though. Season 7 took 2 years to shoot, and it was only 10 episodes. I'm still waiting for Season 8, which I'm not sure if there even will be one.

"Mommy, mommy! The bald man's in the bathroom and there's something hard in his pants!"

A lot of people didn't like the second season of Prison Break. I was pleasantly surprised by how they managed to keep the show going after, you know, the actual Prison Break. I only saw the first few episodes of season 3, but they felt like they were going down the same route they'd been before. It was also very frustrating to see how the show could have easily ended in the second season finale, only to have it turned around in the last act for no good reason other than to cash in on another season.

Either way, season 4 will be the show's final season (source).

You need to look past season 3 and give them a chance with 4. It's not that great, but it's not too shabby either, with some admittedly interesting twists lately.

I agree wholeheartedly though, it should have ended with season 2, and I'm positive the only reason it didn't was deservedly great ratings.

Maybe it says something that I like shows where the protagonists are complete bastards.

If that's the case, you might want to check out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Most horrible people, ever. But hilarious.

Though why would they sit on the last 3 eps? I'd expect them to be aired/released in *some* way at least, after all they've been produced already.

It's on my list of items to get with my next SAE order.

I read a rumor, and I don't remember the source so I could be wrong, that aparently the last episode did so bad in ratings (it supposedly did worse than a mexican soap opera that airs in Unvision or something) that tahey pulled it completely off the schedule and ABC has yet to announce an air date for these 3 remaining episodes and rumor has it they may not air them and instead would only be available on the Season 2 DVD, if that is ever released.

Try to get the soundtrack though, it's very, very good.

Maybe it says something that I like shows where the protagonists are complete bastards.

If that's the case, you might want to check out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Most horrible people, ever. But hilarious.

That's one of my favorite shows on right now. And yes all the main characters are disgusting human beings.

Did you catch the season finale a couple months ago? I thought it was fantastic, my mouth was agape the whole time at the simultaneous awesomeness/ridiculousness of it all.

A reminder to all those who watch Battlestar Galactica, the remaining episodes begin airing tonight. I need to try and remember to watch tonight's episode. If I forget I'll just watch it on Sciffy's site tomorrow.