Complete JFK score

vmw331

So wait, did vmw331 ever distribute this out? Do people here have it?

i don't think it was ever distributed. So I can't think what was the point of making this topic..

I searched for vmw331 on Google and found three scores at that bad place we don't talk about in public, but they don't interest me. I checked the place I normally go, and no JFK at all is there. Just two homage tracks from "Songs in the Key of Springfield."

I've said too much already. I already said I couldn't find his JFK album by crossing his name with the title, and his name alone didn't yield anything I wanted. I'm not testing out the links.

• 1 month later...

I did have some contact with this fellow back then, and presented him with some cover artwork:

JFKbooklet.jpg

JFKbookletinside.jpg

But never got any further feedback from him, and sadly, neither a copy of his edit.

I have tried it myself many years ago, but as Maurizio pointed out, this is a nightmare of a editing work, and ended up putting it aside.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't JFK composed mostly away from the picture, as a tone poem of sorts? And then they just plastered it all over the picture like they would do for a documentary feature?

Karol - who likes this work

I think so too, Crocodile. Therefore, this is a particular score I'm not sure a complete score as heard in the movie works at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't JFK composed mostly away from the picture, as a tone poem of sorts? And then they just plastered it all over the picture like they would do for a documentary feature?

Karol - who likes this work

Yes, at a certain point I think Stone wanted to do just a documentary out of it.

I've seen the movie recently, but I can't quite remember if there was any particular piece of music that wasn't derived, in one way or the other, from the supposedly 6 pieces of music Williams wrote beforehand (which I would assume are the Prologue, The Motorcade, the Conspirators, Arlington, The Garrison Family Theme and Garrison's Obssesion), plus the other more scene specific tracks that made it the cd (Death of David Ferrie, The Witnesses, plus all the other tracks centered around the Prologue theme)

I've seen the movie recently, but I can't quite remember if there was any particular piece of music that wasn't derived, in one way or the other, from the supposedly 6 pieces of music Williams wrote beforehand (which I would assume are the Prologue, The Motorcade, the Conspirators, Arlington, The Garrison Family Theme and Garrison's Obssesion), plus the other more scene specific tracks that made it the cd (Death of David Ferrie, The Witnesses, plus all the other tracks centered around the Prologue theme)

I saw it, too and don't think there is much to be gained from a longer release. Although i wager there are people willing to drift through hours of ominous suspense backgrounds because Williams had a hand in them.

Man that's one great score. Arlington is one of my favourite track of all time. Couldn't believe my luck when Williams conducted it when I saw him with the LSO.

I absolutely adore that horn passage at the 00:37 mark

I can't remember it at the back of my head but what a great intro and the harmonies in the track are just incredible.

It was particularly that dissonant passage (I think you call that dissonance) that struck me so much as an almost perfect musical depiction of the loss of innocence of the general American psyche. The rest of track complements this. Great stuff

The orchestral pieces would make for a great extended concert suite, really. The prologue, motorcade, Arlington... Great stuff!

Karol

There actually is a concert suite comprising of precisely those 3 pieces:). Williams used to perform regularly in the past

Really? Have they been released on CD?

There was a recording done by John Mauceri, I think, that also included the Scene D'Amour from Vertigo and the extended Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars, but I can't remember the name of the cd.

Well, I'm sure vmw331 is enjoying it...

You guys are hilarious! :)

I've become a "lurker" on this site for the past few since since I graduated from college and entered the "real world".

Yes I still have yet to release the edit, but it is complete and after reading through all of the recent posts, I will post this within the next few weeks.

This edit was very time consuming but I love the score so much that I kept at it and it turned out great. I put a lot of effort into editing out all the sound effects since I really didn't have an issue with dialog.

Oohhh....covers! I never received those in my email. They look great!

Anyway, you guys have now dragged me out into the open and now I'm forced to release this. Lol!

For being an edit I think it's top quality and you guys will really like it.

Stay tuned....

There was a recording done by John Mauceri, I think, that also included the Scene D'Amour from Vertigo and the extended Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars, but I can't remember the name of the cd.

Mm, this sounds new to me. I have a handful of Mauceri's film music-themed albums with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra (Hollywood Dreams, Hollywood Nightmares and Journey through the Stars) and I can't find the JFK suite on any of them. I only know of bootleg recordings of the suite taken from live concerts broadcast--I believe he performed at least once for one of the Evening at Pops TV gigs.

I can't remember the exact album, I'm not even sure it was Mauceri conducting, but I'm absolutely 100% the JFK suite was recored on an album such as the one I described. It was actually my first exposure to this score

William Motzing recorded the concert version from the Theme from JFK with the City of Prague Philharmonic (check it here, though the credits on that particular release are all mixed up). To my knowledge is the only bit of the suite that has been commercially released.

Williams has conducted it numerous times, and a live recording with the Boston Pops at Tanglewood has been around since 2002. If you look around in James Taylor boards, you might find it quite easily. Taylor was the guest on that concert. And the audio quality is awesome.

Oohhh....covers! I never received those in my email. They look great!

Oops... You never got them... so sorry. Glad you enjoyed them now.

And looking forward to hearing your edits.

Thanks, Miguel. I guess the Arlington track on the Silva compilations is a transcription from the OST, and not a recording of the part of the suite? (Or are both the same?)

Thanks, Miguel. I guess the Arlington track on the Silva compilations is a transcription from the OST, and not a recording of the part of the suite? (Or are both the same?)

Well, come to think of it, the Arlington movement on the suite is pretty much the same as the one on the original soundtrack CD. Maybe Williams made some tweaking with it for the suite, but surely, really minor stuff that goes almost unnoticed.

I saw it, too and don't think there is much to be gained from a longer release. Although i wager there are people willing to drift through hours of ominous suspense backgrounds because Williams had a hand in them.

I wouldn't mind a complete release, if there was material to add, and minus all those annoying songs.

As a listener i can sift through what I don't like. For iTunes I deleted all the annoying songs and just went with Williams' music and the source cues.

I wouldn't mind a complete release, if there was material to add, and minus all those annoying songs.

As a listener i can sift through what I don't like. For iTunes I deleted all the annoying songs and just went with Williams' music and the source cues.

Yeah, I know what you mean about those annoying songs!

Of course I left those off in my edit. There's about 20-30 minutes of unreleased stuff and a few cues in the beginning of the film (not on the OST) that are just awesome.

• 9 years later...
On 12/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

How much music from JFK is unreleased?

There’s a decent amount, probably about 15-20 minutes. There’s more than a dozen unreleased cues, but that can be a bit misleading because many of those are just short stingers.

JFK cue list

1M1 Main Title Part I

1M1 Main Title Part II
1M1 Main Title - Long Version
1M2A Theme Over Scottish Drums
1M4 Receiving the News

3M4 Oswald Effect
Reel 3 - Eternal Father, Strong to Save (Navy Hymn) [source]
4M1 The Railroad Yard
4M3 Bannisters Office
5M1A Cubans Everywhere!
6M4 Effects [synthesizer - "low explosions at varying pitches"]
8M1 Ruby and Warren
8M2 Under the Rifle Sights
9M1 Easter Sunday Morning
9M6 Shaw's Exit
Reel 9 - “Maryland My Maryland” [source]

10M3A David Ferrie's Apartment

11M1A The Entrance of Mr. X
12M3 Circles of Power
12M5A End Note Bar 65
12M6A Bar 55 Crossover
13M3 Bedtime T.V.
13M5 Oswald Visits Hosts
13MX The Porch Scene
14M3 The Bedroom Scene
Arlington
Arlington Insert (Dialogue Version)
The Conspirators
Drum Loop

Drummers Salute [source]
Garrison's Obsession
The Motorcade
End Credits
Theme From "J.F.K"
Theme From "J.F.K." (Piano Version)

OST breakdown:

Prologue (4:00)

0:00-2:03 1M1 Main Title Part I

2:03-end End Credits

The Motorcade (5:15)

The Motorcade

Drummers’ Salute (2:55)

Drummers Salute [source]

Theme From JFK (2:23)

Theme from “J.F.K.” (Piano Version)

Eternal Father, Strong To Save (1:19)

Reel 3 - Eternal Father, Strong To Save (Navy Hymn) [source]

Garrison’s Obsession (2:34)

Garrison’s Obsession

7 Sidney Bechet - On The Sunny Side Of The Street

The Conspirators

The Conspirators

The Death of David Ferrie (2:47)

10M3A David Ferrie’s Apartment

10 Tony Bennett - Maybe September

11 Garrison Family Theme (2:15)

0:00-1:10 13MX The Porch Scene

1:10-end 9M2 Easter Sunday Morning

12 Brent Lewis - Ode To Buckwheat

13 Ray Barretto - El Watusi

14 The Witnesses (2:47)

0:00-0:53 5M1A Cubans Everywhere!

0:53-end 4M1 The Railroad Yard

15 Mozart - Concerto No. 2 for Horn and Orchestra

16 Arlington (6:30)

Arlington

17 Finale (3:15)

End Credits

18 Theme from JFK (Reprise) (2:23)

Theme from “J.F.K.” (Piano Version)

• 1 year later...

What are you asking for? The director's cut of the film itself?  It's on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FQX59I/

If you're asking about music, the official OST album released in 1991 is the only release the music has ever gotten.

This thread was about people taking the surround channels of the DVD and making their own fan-made expansion, but the music would have sound effects and stuff over it from the film.

I'm specifically looking for the Motorcade theme. The one with the suspenseful ring when the car comes down Main St. This theme is also used when RFK dies and the jury's final verdict.

Well like I said there is no way to obtain any music used in the film that isn't on the OST album, unless you rip it out of the film itself, which bring's the film's other audio (sound effects, dialogue, etc along with it