Best Halloween Soundtrack

indy4

I find Corpse Bride to be almost totally useless as Halloween music (though I like it in all other espects). I'm not sure why I felt the need to point that out, but there you have it.

Please elaborate.

EDIT: Hooray, my 6000th post! :huh:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's this John Carpenter fellow? Tyler Bates Halloween music is awesome!!111!!

only you would go for such trash.

I liked the movie, probably because I'm a Rob Zombie fan. It's not in the same league as Carpenter's movie, of course, but I didn't mind that, since it mostly tried to avoid mimicing the original.

However, I've got little use for Tyler Bates.

I find Corpse Bride to be almost totally useless as Halloween music (though I like it in all other espects). I'm not sure why I felt the need to point that out, but there you have it.

Please elaborate.

Well, of the songs, "According to Plan" is just right out -- that's not even vaguely spooky in content. "Remains of the Day" is okay lyrically, but the music is too jazzy. Jazz, generally, is not spooky. "Tears to Shed" is just too much of a production number, and so is "The Wedding Song." Even I'm not sure what I mean when I say that -- my musical vocabulary is pretty pathetic.

There might be something good in the actual score itself, though. I can't remember it well enough to say.

It's a joke, Joe.

I sincerely hope so, but you do seem the type to gravatate to a talentless composer.

Who's this John Carpenter fellow? Tyler Bates Halloween music is awesome!!111!!

only you would go for such trash.

I liked the movie, probably because I'm a Rob Zombie fan. It's not in the same league as Carpenter's movie, of course, but I didn't mind that, since it mostly tried to avoid mimicing the original.

However, I've got little use for Tyler Bates.

its easily the worst movie I've seen in several years. I almost walked out.

Sleepy Hollow is my ultimate spooky score; first score CD I ever bought actually. PoA somehow isn't serious enough given that it's for Potter.

I can't believe stuff is appearing in shops already - there's over a month still to go. And when the evening finally comes, I'll make sure I'm fully engrossed in a very loud score with my headphones and let the parents deal with the kiddies :P

Well, of the songs, "According to Plan" is just right out -- that's not even vaguely spooky in content. "Remains of the Day" is okay lyrically, but the music is too jazzy. Jazz, generally, is not spooky. "Tears to Shed" is just too much of a production number, and so is "The Wedding Song." Even I'm not sure what I mean when I say that -- my musical vocabulary is pretty pathetic.

There might be something good in the actual score itself, though. I can't remember it well enough to say.

Some of it doesn't sound very Halloweeny, but through association with the film I think of Halloween when I hear it.

Still, I would call "Remains of the Day," "Moon Dance," and "Remains Of The Day [Combo Lounge Version]" at least to be very Halloweeny.

Goldsmith's The Mephisto Waltz is another score that gets alot of play around Halloween. More of an atmospheric score compared to the Omen.

But I do like to pull out all the monster and horror scores come October.

It's a joke, Joe.

I sincerely hope so, but you do seem the type to gravatate to a talentless composer.

Subtlety is not his strongest hand

Well, for me nothing says Halloween like Elfman's two Batman scores. But I also have to give props to The Monster Squad, and Psycho.

I remember hearing a podcast about the use of "Dies Irae" in film scores. That theme has a Halloween sound to it. I wish I knew some of the scores it was used in.

CE3K

Omen II

The Mephisto Waltz

To name a few.

Dracula is a decent score, very moody. it works at a time like this.

Dressed to Kill and Carrie work.

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned The Village. Not exactly "Halloween" material but it is hauntingly beautiful.

It's one of my favorite scores, but I don't think I'd even consider using any of it as Halloween music.

I've been told that Midnight Syndicate might be worth checking out, but I know nothing about them.