The Saddest Piece of Film Music Ever.......

Dean1700

In keeping with the Most Beautiful and the Most Patriotic music threads we now can tell everyone what we think is the saddest piece of film music you have ever heard/listened to.

Come on all...dish em up. I'm sure E.T. is in there somewhere and maybe even Gandalf's Death from Khazad-Dum in the FOTR.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last half of Wade's Death from Saving Private Ryan put me in tears and I hadn't yet seen the movie.

[Edit - hmm - this is my 2000'th post. Don't I get a prize or something? A John Williams Letter Jacket to join the club?]

ANAKIN'S BETRAYAL!! (number 1)

Theme from Schindler's List

Hymn to the Fallen

Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye (but this is the bittersweet sad that makes you feel good)

Qui-Gon's Funeral

The BRidge of Khazad-dum when Gandalf dies

Reaching the Country\

The Reunion from A.I.

Cop out answer for me is Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis in Master and Commander

I'm sure you know that that isn't film music...

Yes, that's pretty much why I said cop out, since it isn't a film score but is used in film

This could have easily been turned into a Top 5. Should have made a suggestion for it.

I don't feel like being specific considering anything can be sad depending on its context. I'm gonna have to go with something from Schindler's List.

I find the second half of Anakin's Dark Deeds almost unbearably sad. I think it's really called "It can't be!" It's not Schindler's List-sad, but unbearably sad, all the same.

Didn't we do this already?

I have that feeling every time I open a thread.

Lament would be at or near the top for me too, along with The Immolation Scene. Also The Death of Jonathan Kent from Superman.

"Remembrances" from Schindler's List.

"The Breaking of the Fellowship" (and Boromir's Death) from Fellowship of the Ring.

"Cinque's Theme" from Amistad.

The Saddest Piece of Film Music Ever.......

They make box sets like that. "Now that's what I call the saddest film music ever : Volume III". In my opinion, probably the score during those moments in E.T when Elliot thinks E.T is dead and is talking to what he thinks is a dead body. Of course, the music in that moment when Obi Wan martyrs himself,is very effective too. Not "sad" per se, but sad in more of a shocking way that would make you go "Nooooooooo" (as Luke did, incidentally). I also find the Cantina band has me sobbing :thumbup: 'Remembering Munich' is also a very emotional piece . But only when literally tied to the scene as you're watching it.

One section of E.T. I find heartbreaking is in "Far From Home/E.T. Alone," on the 20th Anniversary release. Actually, two segments close together, from 2:37-2:58 and then from 3:07-3:20. I've always loved those strings!

Ray Barnsbury

"The Death of Falstaff" - Henry V

"Arlington" - JFK

But I don't think those are the saddest pieces ever in film. I'm not very well versed in tragic cinema.

'Arlington' is a good choice. In fact, it always seemed to me as the most stirring elegy JW has written. Seems to sum up the full tragic scope of the assassination.

E.T, The Goodbye Scene...when the strings start swelling and E.T. says Come and then Elliot says Stay .Right there,the saddest moment in film history thanks to JW.Runner up in E.T, the Film Version of E.T. is Dying.

Also,The Reunion from A.I.

Mark

The Fall Of Gandalf The Grey. The BBC actually played the cue over slo-mo clips of England when they got knocked out of the football World Cup. It was the sad as hell.

Is it the music that is sad or the fact that England got knocked out of the World Cup? :P

The Fall Of Gandalf The Grey. The BBC actually played the cue over slo-mo clips of England when they got knocked out of the football World Cup. It was the sad as hell.

Is it the music that is sad or the fact that England got knocked out of the World Cup? :P

Frankly, i find the British press (not necessarily the BBC) rather sickeningly patriotic when it comes to sports. The Lewis Hamilton saga has got to be one of the best examples so far yet.

William's execution (or whatever it's called on the soundtrack) from Braveheart is pretty darn good. It's a unique combination of mounting grief and mounting defiance. Very emotional stuff. I don't know, it is just a special piece of music and I would guess that many of us when watching that scene for the first time, were having our heart strings pulled? I was, at least. And it still makes me feel that way whenever it is seen (although obviously less so after the first because I know what happens).

Frankly, i find the British press (not necessarily the BBC) rather sickeningly patriotic when it comes to sports. The Lewis Hamilton saga has got to be one of the best examples so far yet.

Yes, we are very patriotic and over more than just sport. The fact that we haven't won anything for years (apart from the Rugby WC) won't ever diminish our love of all things British, even if it does seem to annoy some residents of perhaps less patriotic nations.

I've been thinking about this... and while there is music that brings tears to my eyes every single time I hear it, I'm not sure if it is sad...

Like, Hymn to the Fallen is very sad, but there is a very optimistic quality to it was well.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, very sad, yet full of romanticism. Lovelly.

Copland's gorgeus Quiet City. Sad, yeah, I guess so, but so noble and gentle...

Anything from Schindler's List, so sad and yet some much hope and noblety of purpose...

Angela's Ashes, Accidental Tourist, the final movement from Williams' Cello Concerto...

Some of Copland's songs on Emily Dickinson's poems...

Fauré's Pavane...

Bach... well so much wonderful music there...

One could call it sad, I can see that. I have a friend that keeps telling me that I only listen to depressing music.

Yet, I find always confort on it, and I can't really call any of this sad.

Yes, we are very patriotic and over more than just sport. The fact that we haven't won anything for years (apart from the Rugby WC) won't ever diminish our love of all things British, even if it does seem to annoy some residents of perhaps less patriotic nations.

But the line has to be drawn when a certain move if done by the mentioned British driver is hailed as something akin to 'brilliant racing spirit' while the same move if done by say, Michael Schumacher is reason enough to call for World War 3. I find it embarrassing and sickening to read even as a non-Brit. :P

"A Window to the Past" is pretty damn lachrymosal. That recorder is so vulnerable and plaintive.

There is also a piece in Elgar's first "Wand of Youth" suite which seems to be sadness itself - I find it almost unbearable to listen to. Can't remember the exact name of the piece but you'll know it when you hear it.

Right now popping to mind is "Anakin's Betrayal" and the big climax in "Anakin's Dark Deeds" where palpatine is going on about "The first galatic empire" *cue in thunderous applause and heart pounding music*

Oh I didn't realize this could include non soundtrack music.

In that case, without a doubt it is Verklarung (usually called Liebestod) from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Gandalf's Death from Khazad-Dum in the FOTR.

If the scene in the movie hadn't been so ridiculously cheesy with all its slow motion AND if there were anything more to it than the same i - VI - III VII chord progression that's been used everywhere, I think I'd agree with you. :(

ROTS' "Lament" ("Anakin's Betrayal") and "The Immolation Scene" are two at the top of the list for me. Unbelievable. The first few times I heard these, I almost felt physically weakened by the emotional power of it.

Naturally, E.T.'s legendary final scene is a tearjerker. Music's amazing; that's a given. So many amazing tonalities in that cue...

I must be missing something here...what's another good one...

Mmmmm, Bicentennial Man contains some moments of blatantly Horneristic but undeniably heartwrenching emotion. There are some parts to that score that I really like...

I've always considered Southhampton and Leaving Port from Titanic some of the saddest music ever composed. Apart from the film, it is a wonderfully uplifting piece, but not if you know what's coming.

the steward of gondor. one of the most brilliant scenes in a movie, with a great score underneath it.

Ok,if I'm going to pick ONE cue from LotR,and the only moment on the 3 films I really felt emotionally involved,it is The Black Gate Opens,when the pan flute comes in and Sam carries Frodo up the mountain.Boromir's Death and the Breaking of the Fellowship do nothing for me.

Not a piece of film music, not even orchestral music... But I was listening to this, and I guess, that it affects me because I deeply relate to it...

At any rate, a beutiful and very sad song, Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now.

Ah, indy4, you had to bring up Titanic...

...and I'm forced to admit my agreement with your statement. :devil: While Titanic can irritate me at times, it does pack an undeniable emotional punch.

I can think of many but the one that stands out is James Horner' "Widow Lullaby" from the film "Krull" (1983)

As for John Williams the one that stands out is from Empire Strikes Back when Darth Vader tells Luke who he is and earlier when Leia confesses her love for Han Solo.

The saddest piece of film music I have ever heard would be probably Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. I cried like baby. It was so sad :huh:

But seriously...there is something about this Williams-like string adagio from The Passion of the Christ in the middle of the Crucifixion cue that always grabs me. Only these two or three minutes from this particular so-so score.

Karol

I wouldn't quite call the Darth Vader scene's music sad, just shocking.

His death is pretty haunting, but "Funeral for a Jedi" takes the cake with sadness.