The Saddest Piece of Film Music Ever.......

Dean1700

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad? I'd call it optimistically reflective, though I don't know its context in the film.

Ray Barnsbury

I also don't know its context in film, but the music is sad to me, and the song has a deeper personal meaning to me that makes it even more sad.

"The Murder" from PSYCHO. Marion didn't take too kindly to Stanley steak knifes.

"Everywhere" from POWDER. Goldsmith's brass section never sounded better. Always gives me goosebumps every time.

The entire score to "AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER" by Hugo Friedhoffer. "Oh, it's nobody's fault but my own! I was looking up... it was the nearest thing to heaven! You were there..." ----- Stop it...I'm beginning to cry now.

I also don't know its context in film, but the music is sad to me, and the song has a deeper personal meaning to me that makes it even more sad.

Ah, I see. That can certainly do it!

Ray Barnsbury

The one scene in a film where music playes a pivotal part and that invariably makes me boo is in "The Mighty." It's the scene where Max is running through the streets of Cincinnatti when his friend has died. Trevor Jones's music is wonderful here - a solo choirboy sings above the orchestra. It's a wonderful part of a really beautiful and underrated score.

I've noticed that often the effect of music in a film is enhanced when the music is played without any background noise, as in the scene described above. There's a scene in that monumental and clumsy epic "A Bridge Too Far" (a film I was inexplicably enamoured with when a child) where a jeep, containing Laurence Olivier no less (playing a doctor) passes through a ruined Arnhem. John Addison's beautifully sad, although plagiarised, theme plays without interruption as the camera pans across the ruin. Somehow so much more powerful than if you could hear machine guns and explosions...

His death is pretty haunting, but "Funeral for a Jedi" takes the cake with sadness.

True. The cue for his death scene is almost...twistedly respectful toward the man, and then the funeral pyre scene...ohh. The funeral pyre seen. So bittersweet. I love it.

Ah, I see. That can certainly do it!

Ray Barnsbury

Btw, I just remembered that it wasn't included on the final soundtrack (so the inlay says), so there is not really a context.