The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Koray Savas

That just isn't right! It's such a stupid idea it might just work. :rolleyes:

Just bought "The Bob Dylan Scrapbook 1956-1966" for 15 bucks second hand! Amazing deal. It's a really entertaining collection of memerobilia. Well worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...

I got Shot Of Love and Knocked Out Loaded today.

I also listened to the samples for the upcoming Christmas In The Heart. Apparently Amazon put up them up and took them down shortly after. I can't blame them unfortunately. Someone posted them up on YouTube, and they sound... just... I don't know what to say. First off, I thought there would be some original writing on his part, but they're all covers of Christmas classics. A couple weren't too bad, but overall it seems kind of like an unlistenable experience. I'm going to remain optimistic though, it's only $10 and will probably be a nice addition to my Dylan collection.

Koray's opinion of those clips lowers my optimism considerably.

Say, Koray, what'd you think of Knocked Out Loaded and Shot of Love? The latter has some good songs, the former, well, not as much ... although I do like "Brownsville Girl" quite a lot.

Say, Koray, what'd you think of Knocked Out Loaded and Shot of Love? The latter has some good songs, the former, well, not as much ... although I do like "Brownsville Girl" quite a lot.

I got Knocked Out Loaded because of "Brownsville Girl" and it ended up being the only good song on the album :P

Shot Of Love, like you said, has some pretty good songs. "Shot Of Love," "The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar," (which I've had for some time) and "Dead Man, Dead Man" are my favorites.

• 5 months later...

The prose gets a bit too flighty at times, but that's hardly a surprise given the author. Dylan is a born storyteller, so I thought it was a pretty damn great read; and yes, there had better be a Vol. 2, and probably a Vol. 3 ... otherwise, I'm gonna be bummed out.

Ya it definitely has a stream of consciousness fell to it. I need a Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 and Vol. 4. I hope this is not the end but it has been 4 years since this book was published.

I don't mind a bit of Bob, every now and then, but I am no position to converse about him at any great length. Well, what do you expect, from someone whos favourite Dylan album is "Slow Train Coming", and whos favourite track is "Gotta Serve Somebody"?

By the way, has anyone got "Dylan" a.k.a. "A Fool Such As I"? It is just about the only Dylan album I don't have (for pretty obvious reasons).

I've looked for it before, but came up empty. I believe it was a European release only, that only contained Dylan covers, and was a company move to get back at Columbia or something that took over Dylan's catalogue or something like that. I don't remember the details.

The album is worth it just for Mr. Bojangles.

You can get it on iTunes. I bought it last year and burned it to CD. It's a lot of fun. Hardly a great album as such, but an enjoyable listening experience to be sure. I forget if I bought the album as a single entity on iTunes or if I had to buy the tracks seperately, and it's a shame all you get is mp3s, but still it's the only way to get it in any kind of decent condition. I bought a bootleg CD of it a couple of years back and the sound quality was HORRIBLE.

What I want are the 42 (I recall) rare and previously unreleased tracks that are available on iTunes' complete Bob Dylan collection set. Unfortunately it's album only so I have to pay $200 for it.

The book does have a great style. I'm just hoping to see another volume sometime soon. He skips over so much that you want to hear about. Its still a great read though.

Here's hoping Columbia come to their senses and release them on the next Bootleg series CD (along with the complete Basement Tapes!!!)

Have the rights reverted back to Columbia, or are they still with Universal?

I have no idea I'm afraid.

I am the start of the second chapter. Dylan has a way with imagery that I didn't expect.

You're kidding right?

"The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face"

"There's smoke on the water it's been there since June

Tree trunks unprooted beneath the high crescent moon

Feel the pulse and vibration and the rumbling force

Somebody is out there beating on a dead horse

She never said nothing there was nothing she wrote

She gone with the man in the long black coat."

"All along the watchtower, princes kept the view

While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,

Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl."

Just sayin... :)

Dylan's last complete soundtrack was 1973's Pat Garratt and Billy the Kid, wasn't it? That included some nice instrumental tracks among the songs. Wonder if he'll take a similar approach with this. Very exciting news.

Dylan's last complete soundtrack was 1973's Pat Garratt and Billy the Kid, wasn't it? That included some nice instrumental tracks among the songs. Wonder if he'll take a similar approach with this. Very exciting news.

Was there a soundtrack to "Hearts Of Fire"?

Poor Richard Marquand; why couldn't his last film be "Jagged Edge"?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Fire_%28soundtrack%29

The album has been out of print for a long time. At Amazon and eBay, the CDs go for a lot. The LPs are more affordable, but they're used LPs: you get what you pay for.

I'll send you a PM.

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Fire_%28soundtrack%29

The album has been out of print for a long time. At Amazon and eBay, the CDs go for a lot. The LPs are more affordable, but they're used LPs: you get what you pay for.

I'll send you a PM.

Ta for that; will investigate a.s.a.p.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I posted this in the new purchases thread but I'll post it here to bring the thread back up. I recently purchased the following:

New Morning

Nashville Skyline

Desire

Bringing It All Back Home

Bootleg Series Volume 6

I haven't listened to any of them yet. I got quite the back load of music right now.

I need to complete my Dylan collection. I started up when Amazon had them all for $7 a pop, but I was put off by the sub-par Knocked Out Loaded and Shot Of Love. Not to mention the prices went up a bit. From the Bootleg Series, I'm missing Vol. 4 and Vol. 6.

I like having holes in my collection. Whenever I hit up Newbury Comics it gives me a reason to flip through the cds, since they always have the best prices. Plus it's always exciting to find an album you don't have and for a good price.

New CDs cheaper than $7?!

There aren't any stores in my area that have even a decent selection of music. I remember I went to Best Buy, looking for a CD to spend my $10 RZ certificate on, and ended up just giving it to a friend. Couldn't find a single Dylan, Floyd, or any other bands I like, CD which I didn't already own.

Well its an independent record store and they often have terrific sales. I got all those albums new, minus the Bootleg one, for $6.11 each.

Plus their used selection is unmatched. I've bought countless used cds and blu rays there and they always play perfectly. My collection would not be what it is without that store. I love it and I wear the tee shirt proudly. :blink:

• 3 months later...

Two new Dylan releases on the horizon:

Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Volume 9 – The Witmark Demos will be released on Tuesday, October 19th, in conjunction with the re-release of the artist's first eight long-playing albums in a box set titled Bob Dylan – The Original Mono Recordings. Both sets have been long sought-after by collectors and fans worldwide, with The Witmark Demos seeing their first commercial release nearly five decades after they were first recorded, and The Original Mono Recordings returning to the marketplace for the first time ever on CD as well as on fully analogue 180-gram vinyl. Both are now available for pre-sale with an exclusive t-shirt and limited edition 18x24" Bob Dylan poster atSonyMusicDigital.com/bobdylan. You can also pre-order the CD or vinyl sets at Amazon.

bd_witmarkdemos_250.jpg dylan_monobox_250.jpg

The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano on 2 CD or 4 LP 180-gram vinyl. All of these songs were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive "Ballad For A Friend," the civil rights era-inspired "Long Ago, Far Away" and "The Death Of Emmett Till," and the poignant "Guess I'm Doing Fine."

The Original Mono Recordings is comprised of Bob Dylan's first eight long-playing albums, painstakingly reproduced from their first generation monaural mixes as the artist intended them to be heard. These eight albums – spanning the artist's self-titled debut in March 1962, through John Wesley Harding released on December 27, 1967 – are universally regarded as some of the most important works in the history of recorded music.

Together with The Witmark Demos, they provide the public with a wide-ranging view of Bob Dylan's work during the 1960s, and chronicle his amazing evolution from fledgling songwriter to one of the world's most inventive and singular recording artists.

Holy cow.

Holy cow is right! The Witmark Demos are an easy buy, I already pre-ordered from Amazon; but The Mono Recordings are tough. I already have most of the albums included with it, so I don't know if the presentation is worth the $120.

I don't know why Wojo only sent this to me (:P), but he linked me to this great site that has tons of concerts free to stream.

You can listen to Dylan's amazing concert at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium in '74! Just hearing him perform "The Weight" with The Band is sublime! Too bad the stream is only 96kbps, but it still sounds pretty good. If only there was a way to rip it because for some reason they don't have this one for sale unlike lots of others. *Nudge nudge*

Hell, I'd even pay for a year's subscription to get this in 192kbps.