Suppose a good-looking girl you casually know does this . . .

Josh500

Yeah, so it's what I thought it would be. They're newbies.

They are a mass portion of a generation who only enjoy scores that have been highly influenced by the "rock n' roll" sound. So, I'm guessing they're huge Pirates fans as well as other synth-heavy scores from Media Ventures.

They like John Williams, but only the most popular, over-heard, and over-used themes and cues that everyone has heard.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind telling people I listen to film scores these days...as has been mentioned, "musical" people are less apt to judge, and the same goes for "film" people, being more familiar with the various aspects of movies. But I was laughing to myself the other day as I listened to Giacchino's Secret Weapons Over Normandy at work, and imagining if someone came in and asked what I was listening to.

"Um, it's the orchestral background music from a World War II-based flight simulation video game. No, I haven't played the game."

:blink: <---their reaction

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, so it's what I thought it would be. They're newbies.

They are a mass portion of a generation who only enjoy scores that have been highly influenced by the "rock n' roll" sound. So, I'm guessing they're huge Pirates fans as well as other synth-heavy scores from Media Ventures.

They like John Williams, but only the most popular, over-heard, and over-used themes and cues that everyone has heard.

Yes, excactly. Strange thing is, they used to have Danny Elfman as their favorite composer, for a long while.

I feel like I'm a mix of them and the people on this board. I really liked MV scores, but I like JW-type scores more.

Do - not - refer - to - film - scores - as - "songs"!

:blink:

Notice I specified arguing with people you don't know. If you want to get aqcuainted with someone, starting by arguing with them over something they have (at this point) no interest in is rarely the right way to go.

This is why there are so little conversations on this board that don't get out of hand pretty quickly.

Good grief, there's a middle ground between arguing ferociously and walk out with your tail between your legs. And whilst the latter is guaranteed if you're a man, you can have a nice *discussion* with that person.

I don't know about you...but film music is not the extent of my personality. I can have 1,001 things to talk about, and, if a person does not get this aspect, I can live with it. And my suggestion was about basic human conversation. How to talk. Once you get to know someone, any quirks they may have could seem charming and understandable. If you're method of picking up girls is 'I am a film music fan. A film music fan who likes you. If you don't have respect for that, I guess we're not soul-mates, and we might as well quit right now', than you are clearly either A.Remarkably unsuccessful or B. living in an alternate universe.

This may come as a surprise for you, but there are people on this earth for which music isn't just there for the occasional relaxation phase. There are people for which music is an essential part of life, and who simply can't be with someone who doesn't at least understand and appreciate that.

You're blowing thing way out of proportion; I wasn't saying anything about "picking up girls", I was merely saying that you shouldn't hide or play down anything just because you think it may sound a little stupid.

If you think of film music as a form of refined musical art, say so, and don't joke around it. As you ay or may not know, you can say that nicely without starting a fight, you know.

And by the way, the term "picking up girls" is alot more offensive to me than saying "most women have no taste". Any method of picking up girls, as you call it, I find pretty retarded, since the whole procedure strikes me as amazingly dumb and disrespectful, ever since I was aware that those rituals existed.

I find it pretty amazing myself that I'm saying this, since I'm also just 22 years old, but I'm damn proud to be different in a society of dumbed down teens, who define themselves through their clothes, and who think their social status rises and falls according to the number of women they managed to not get pregnant.

I always hate it when people randomly grab my iPod and scroll through all the music without my permission or when they try to peek at the screen while I'm listening to it. I also try to use headphones that don't leak as much sound so I can listen to my music without worrying about others hearing it. I suppose I shouldn't really care about what others think about my music, but these are just habits I have developed over time.

On the subject of women and film music, I have a interesting story. I actually had a girl deceive me into thinking that she was familiar with and appreciative of Williams' film music, when it turns out that she liked only one theme ("Across the Stars"). Of course I immediately gained interest in her only to find out later that all she really listened to was alternative. I guess she was just really attracted to me. Oh well, maybe next time...

I always hate it when people randomly grab my iPod and scroll through all the music without my permission or when they try to peek at the screen while I'm listening to it. I also try to use headphones that don't leak as much sound so I can listen to my music without worrying about others hearing it. I suppose I shouldn't really care about what others think about my music, but these are just habits I have developed over time.

On the subject of women and film music, I have a interesting story. I actually had a girl deceive me into thinking that she was familiar with and appreciative of Williams' film music, when it turns out that she liked only one theme ("Across the Stars"). Of course I immediately gained interest in her only to find out later that all she really listened to was alternative. I guess she was just really attracted to me. Oh well, maybe next time...

You stud!

I think grabbing someone's ipod and checking the contents without permission is rude and impolite anyways.I wouldn't do it.Music tastes is always somewhat private and everyone has "guilty " pleasures,no matter what style of music they listen to they might have a few things they'd like to keep to themselves.

Ok,so having LotR, Harry Potter or Star Wars soundtracks is not so bad,but try explaining a score from a kiddie movie like "Home Alone".

The girls who live downstairs actually enjoy having film scores (including JW) and Disneyland attraction soundtracks blasting from above their heads. You ought to move here, bro.

Unfortunately, that's far from the norm. :blink:

Besides some chicks really find us more interesting for our non-typical (some would say: extroridinary) interests :P

Besides, you can always become her mentor and usher her into the fantastic world of film music. ;)

Aaaah, the best approach!

1/ Explain it to her

2/ Prepare CDs for her to listen to (picking "easy" stuff at first)

3/ Try her stuff, of course

4/ And-- Badaboom! :)

5/ Warning: Point 4 not guaranteed

Well you can always maestrobate... :blink:

I don't mind telling people I listen to film scores these days...as has been mentioned, "musical" people are less apt to judge, and the same goes for "film" people, being more familiar with the various aspects of movies. But I was laughing to myself the other day as I listened to Giacchino's Secret Weapons Over Normandy at work, and imagining if someone came in and asked what I was listening to.

"Um, it's the orchestral background music from a World War II-based flight simulation video game. No, I haven't played the game."

:) <---their reaction

Ray Barnsbury

My mother almost always ask 'what movie is it?' when i'm hearing videogame music from Giacchino. That's a good thing, since it means that the music is so goood it has piqued her interest :P (Giacchino rules :blink: )

My personal experience in this matter, i think that before university, i just said i liked all music (except the moder techno and the likes), but did no follow any particular musician. But in the university, where i found a large group of friends, i didnt mind telling that i like film scores, because i am not ashamed but feel proud of being myself. I am entitled to like what i want like everyother person. Many people has congratulated me for this. Some people even has said that they like this or that, and if i had this score and so.

Some friends call me 'geek' but they do it without malice.

I havent found a girl score fan yet ;).

Actually I did like it that everybody had no idea about film music. Especially when I was younger I felt I was privileged to have uncovered an amazing pallet of music that most people wouldn't even consider listening to.

I am working as a musician so even though people I know might not know much about film music they most definitely appreciate it. even though you come across the occasional smart ass who tries to antagonize you on your knowledge about John Williams with the obvious flattening consequences LOL.

So I kept film music for myself and enjoyed doing so. When I could though I would make a compilation for friends and their reaction had always being incredible.

It was only through this site and forum I realized I wasn't the only loony who listens to the Empire Strike Back a million times a week lol

I noticed some of you dudes get self-conscious because of your favorite music, bros. I mean like... chill OUT! I'm ready for some leitmotif!! Music by that pony-tailed guy is such a turn on!

Umm... Yes.

My last year at uni I didn't even bother taking my speakers with me. just my headphones. You have to admit we listen to some pretty strange stuff sometimes, and I didn't want to make it any harder than it already would be to fit in with a flat almost entirely consisting of European girls.

Nothing better than blasting my favourite scores here at home though :blink: My family is very aware of what I like. Unfortunately, the only people I talk to about music are online. I just seem too geeky to most others I come across.

Cat, if a girl likes you, she does! she doesnt care what music you like.

If she is only interested in sex maybe...

But i think that for a close relationship, similar musical tastes and or at least tolerance is a must.

Tolerance is not impliying: 'What kind of crap is this music you are listening?'

Cat, if a girl likes you, she does! she doesnt care what music you like.

But i think that for a close relationship, similar musical tastes and or at least tolerance is a must.

Indeed. The openness of certain people toward certain kinds of music is often limited. There are lots of great girls who don't mind film music (they usually know Braveheart or some Morricone stuff; JW rarely) but generally listen to other genres, but on the same time there are lots of those who listen to one particular type and find it really hard to listen to anything less. The same goes for men. If one cannot stand hip hop or hard-rock or whatever, it might not be the best idea fot him/her to live with a person who loves that music. My parents generally dislike most of what I listen to, but I can close the door of my room and don't disturb them. I cannot, however, imagine that I could do the same with my girl or wife. I also don't assume that I could genuinely fall in love (save for being attracted with her look) in a woman who could not be tolerant toward my biggest passion.

I don't understand the approach of many of these posts. Talking in such large and universal terms...Like I said, you can start a friendship/relationship without stating and matching everything about your personality before. If you're looking for something more serious, than yes, eventually, you're gonna come to a point of full disclosure (or semi-full). Even then, I don't see how a person's love of soundtracks is at all limiting. Is that people's defining personality trait here?

Start a relationship without lying, but it is remarkably daft to push a topic in the first meeting that, if eased in, after the person gets to know you a little, will be a non-issue for either of you.

a woman who show could not be tolerant toward my biggest passion.

Dont use those words with her. ever. She will complain that she should be your biggest passion... :blink:

I'd then say: "You know I love you, Honey Bunny, you are almost as dear to my heart as that 75-year old white-bearded guy."

a woman who show could not be tolerant toward my biggest passion.

Dont use those words with her. ever. She will complain that she should be your biggest passion... :blink:

I'm sorry, what century are we framing this discussion in?

I agree with Morlock. Spending 20 minutes explaining your love of John Williams or film music when casually asked what you're listening to is not the best way to make a good first impression. Same goes for most topics. Try to seem normal at first, then when you get to know the person, your quirks won't seem weird (as Morlock said earlier).

Ray Barnsbury

My girlfriend is a violinist and she loves Williams, Herrmann and Morricone.
Lucky me, I guess...

Lucky..bast*** that is :huh:

(i feel happy for you)

She does not have a clone does she?

Violin is my favourite instrument too :(

There is still hope, i suppose :P

My girlfriend is a violinist and she loves Williams, Herrmann and Morricone.

Lucky me, I guess...

Any girl that honestly loves JW, deserves a medal. Or anything else she wants. :huh:

My girlfriend does not have a clue something like film music excited, apart from Hakuna Matata from The Lion King.

And I really don't care.

As long as she neither does, its fine.

Ahhh... in my short stance in Italy i met a girl that knew who Williams was, and she thought he was great. It all just was because an italian friend has some morricone scores (obvioulsy) and some other cues. And i offered him if he wanted some famous film themes that i had on my ipod. We also made a fun powerpoint presentation for our teacher and she was making it. We needed beautiful music to accompany photos from the Alps. And i said 'wait' i have some. The moment i put Princess leia she said 'oh my!' This is the one to put. And now that i think of it very fitting (alderaan was based on the Alps...) She said she liked Schindler's list very much and that she had used the theme on some work at school. I sent it to her when i returned home.

Unfortunately this happened the two days before my leaving, and anyway the girl was already engaged. :huh:

My long time ex girlfriend liked Dudley Moore playing the pianio(score to " Six Weeks").By extension she liked Sabrina,which reminded her of Dudley Moore piano tunes. :huh:

If fact she kept my Sabrina sountrack and I had to buy another one

K.M.

I would only ever have a problem with film scores in relation to women if the girl had a problem with it. If she was embarrassed by it, then it could put a serious strain on our relationship, hopefully one we could work out. I mean, I know you have to compensate and change yourself for someone (love), but musical preferences are not that big of a deal.

I think grabbing someone's ipod and checking the contents without permission is rude and impolite anyways.

But if it was the rigtht person, would you give a damn if it was impolite?

:huh:

I let my friends grab my iPod whenever they want. I always have one who goes through and always asks, "Why do you only have soundtracks?"

I don't like it when people I'm not familiar with take it and look through. Usually when they ask I say no or just turn it off and put it in my pocket.

I don't mind letting random people hear what I'm listening, especially those that I know I'll never see again. My favorite thing is to roll down all the windows while I'm driving and blast some funny score and have people look at me in confusion. Mini-Sloths Sing-a-Long from Ice Age: The Meltdown is a guaranteed head-turner when on full blast. :P

Apparantly one in which there all relationships are between soul-mates who will spend forever and eternity forever.

Solid sarcasm, way to go!

No wonder humanity can't move on. Some spods call the current state evolved; I call it descentegration into a stone age with internet.

I would only ever have a problem with film scores in relation to women if the girl had a problem with it. If she was embarrassed by it, then it could put a serious strain on our relationship, hopefully one we could work out. I mean, I know you have to compensate and change yourself for someone (love), but musical preferences are not that big of a deal.

I agree. I mean, yeah it'd be nice to find someone interested in soundtracks, but that shouldn't be what makes you continue your relationship. It'd be a nice way to meet someone, but not to love them. And besdies, opposite attract.

Apparantly one in which there all relationships are between soul-mates who will spend forever and eternity forever.

...running towards each other, across windswept fields, casting bonnets to the air with reckless abandon... with ipods on...

My girlfriend doesn't mind soundtracks, and she even owns a number of them, but her favorite music comes from are musical. I figure as long as we can talk about music intelligently and not be too annoyed by each other's musical choices, we'll be fine. :)

Seriously, guys...musical tastes are important, but basing a relationship on that...I dunno. Not a good idea, IMO.

Well, I guess I am the exception here, being a GIRL.... :)

Yeah, you have to have a lot more in the relationship, I mean, two people have to be really compatible, but still the shared musical interests would be so important, for me, because it's a big part of who I am.

Here from the other side of the coin, I find it's very hard to find guys with the same interests (in real life, that is). If they do, to any extent, and are sweet, and any modicum of cute, they are very definitely taken. And if they're not taken, they're verrry far away. So I've just given up on the whole thing for now. :)

So, it's not everything..but if you have it in common, for a music lover...that would radically add to the happiness, to be able to share in so much great music, that's an incredible thing to have.

My girlfriend does not have a clue something like film music excited, apart from Hakuna Matata from The Lion King.And I really don't care.
That's really the way to go...Similar tastes aren't a needed thing. Tolerance and understanding of the other are.
Yeah, you have to have a lot more in the relationship, I mean, two people have to be really compatible, but still the shared musical interests would be so important, for me, because it's a big part of who I am.
My I invite you for a dinner then? Seriously, as much as music and painting and art in general is my life, most of my relations don't revolve around them :(Yet, I'm happy to say that even so, those special people in my life still admire my strength in working in such a lonelly field... And that means respect, tolerance and understanding, something I would say, is the base of any serious relation.