Top 5: Composer Series

Koray Savas

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik, different people have different opinions.

I understand that... but it came across as disrespectful. This is a Top 5 Giacchino scores thread not a let's bash his creativity thread!

-Erik-

I simply was stating what Stef just said, but perhaps I didn't use the best of words. A great deal of his stuff is simply him adapting on someone else's work.

I simply made an personal opinion of how little Barry got for his thread, and made a comment why I thought Giacchino is overrated, which he is. You might like his work, but it doesn't mean he's the next Williams or Goldsmith, if he was, he'd have a lot more work.

And since you want this to be a thread talking about his good qualities, why not give it a rest and just let it go. You've now used multiple posts to reply to a simple off-handed comment I made (which was simply a single word, not a long rant).

Well, it's a discussion forum so I think I had every right to respond to your off-handed comment and defend Michael's music. And I don't think it's a shame that Michael's thread is getting so much attention. There is no shame in discussion film music... especially REALLY GOOD film music. If you want people to start talking about John Barry, go to his thread and post something.

-Erik-

I'm not saying you can't refute my post, but I should be allowed a rebuttle and did. Now I think it would be more appropriate to stick to Giacchino than drag this threw the mud any longer.

I actually ended up shooting myself in the foot with that post, as I have kept this thread going probably after it was already done. But such is life.

You left out Ratatouille...

Forgotten or it did not fit in the 'following footsteps' theory? :P

Didn't see it, didn't hear a note of it.

My supposition stands though.

you are missing out great music.

PS: I'm really upset right now. Just got Airborne (game), and i cannot f*cking run it. (the demo went fine with everything maxed out). Due to some amazing installation thing that needs Windows SP2. It seems the installation searches for the windows firewall to tell it to let the game work on internet. If you dont have it the installation rolls back and erases everything and tells you to re-install later. The thing is, i cannot fix this since always i try to install SP2, it does not finish and cannot be installed. Damn , always that i get a game to hear some giacchino score...i have problems :/. It seems that if i cut-paste the installed game from other computer it works. Lets see...

I only have the one that QMM bought for 128 bucks, but mine was a lot cheaper and has a signature by the composer (which possible explains why it was so much cheaper).

I don't play computer games, so therefore I have very little interest in that sort of music.

But listen, I don't wanna give the impression that I hate Michael Giapoopie.

He's clearly a talented composer, but that's never enough for me to become a fan of the man's work.

There has to be...something else, something that clicks between the music and the person listening to it.

And with him, I do not (yet) have that click, like I don't have it with another clearly talented composer called James Newton Howard.

But listen, I don't wanna give the impression that I hate Michael Giapoopie.

Of course :P

He's clearly a talented composer, but that's never enough for me to become a fan of the man's work.

There has to be...something else, something that clicks between the music and the person listening to it.

And with him, I do not (yet) have that click, like I don't have it with another clearly talented composer called James Newton Howard.

that's fine then

Giacchino knows how to write music and he does it well, even though I'd like all of his stuff the same. He is definitely the future of film music and I personally hope he will not only keep the current level, but develop. Will he ever reach the level of Goldsmith or Williams, or Barry, I don't know. I assume he will rather become the good middle class (like Howard or Horner and Silvestri thesedays), as opposed to guys like Jablonsky who are going also be very popular in couple of years, but they'll hardly write good music.

Lost is possibly the best scored show ever.

I can't agree with that. It's scored...interestingly, and pretty effectively...but it's a far cry from the best, IMO.

Which ones are better?

I can't agree with that. It's scored...interestingly, and pretty effectively...but it's a far cry from the best, IMO.

Which ones are better?

Band of Brothers was quite good

Which ones are better?

Batman: The Animated Series

I think Band of Brothers would count.

I simply was stating what Stef just said, but perhaps I didn't use the best of words. A great deal of his stuff is simply him adapting on someone else's work.

I simply made an personal opinion of how little Barry got for his thread, and made a comment why I thought Giacchino is overrated, which he is. You might like his work, but it doesn't mean he's the next Williams or Goldsmith, if he was, he'd have a lot more work.

Did John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith become John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith with their first dozen scores? Give him more than 10 years to establish himself and then tell me he would have more work if he was good.

My point exactly. Who would of thought the unknown composer of Daddy-O would become the greatest film composer ever? John Williams' first scores are pretty crappy, I must admit. Giacchino on the other hand, has some really really good first scores under his belt.

Lost is the best-scored series currently in production, I'll say that for sure. You can't beat Giacchino's work here when it comes to striking the perfect chord to complement the moment.

My point exactly. Who would of thought the unknown composer of Daddy-O would become the greatest film composer ever? John Williams' first scores are pretty crappy, I must admit. Giacchino on the other hand, has some really really good first scores under his belt.

I saw the main titles of Daddy-O on YouTube, and I loved the music!

It's kind of funny how Giacchino and William's first movies scored required old fashion, spyish music.

***3 DAY WARNING***

Usually these votes die down after a few days, and when I post the final results after Day 7, I get more votes. So this is a warning meant to bring the thread to the top of the page so I don't get any extra votes after I tally them all up. So, if you haven't voted, do so now, so you don't miss the deadline.

• 1 year later...

My taste in Giacchino has definitely changed. Wonder how Star Trek is gonna factor into people's lists.

My new Top 5:

1. Medal Of Honor

2. Ratatouille

3. Speed Racer

4. M:i:III

5. Medal Of Honor: Underground

LO freakin' L! :) Wow...I apologize for my severe former underappreciation of Lost's score. I wisened up eventually, though.

Wow, I was still really getting introduced to Giacchino back when this thread was started. Unfortunately I'm still pretty Lost ignorant, but I'm going to take care of that at some point. Right now, just his film scores:

1. Star Trek

2. Cloverfield

3. Mission Imossible III

4. The Incredibles

5. Ratatouille

Everything:

1. Medal of Honor

2. Star Trek

3. Cloverfield

4. MOH: Undergound

5. Lost

I don't understand all the love MOH gets. I think the main theme is quite good, but a lot of it just doesn't really do much for me. I suppose I'm just not a big fan of video game music in general.

MOH is the ultimate Giacchino score. Awesomeness from start to finish. I would have put Lost in my Top 5, but I feel it has an unfair advantage over everything else he's done because of the mass amount of music.

I would argue that it's at a disadvantage because of the massive amount of music...it's not easy to maintain that level of quality for so many hours of music without becoming inconsistent or monotonous!

That's exactly what I'm saying - it would have been easy for Giacchino to get sloppy, but he hasn't! ;) He's gone beyond any other television score I know of in terms of thematic development and stylistic unity...and the music is awesome, to boot!

Only Giacchino scores I have:

1. The Incredibles

2. M:i:III

Same here, but those two sound really good, so I'm determined to get some more eventually.

I'm pleased to aunnonce my Giacchino collection has grown a bit since posting that.

1. The Incredibles

2. Up

3. Star Trek

4. M:i:III

5. Ratatouille

I didn't count Cloverfield.