Talking to John Williams II

AI

Talking to John Towner Williams  

29 members have voted

1. 1. would you speak to him?

• Yes
    • No

Here is the scenario;

Let's say, you are walking by a park, on your way somewhere, and you see a Man, sitting on a bench, seemingly looking at the trees. When you look a little closer, you realize it is in fact him, it is that man, John Williams.

Would you approach him? Of course you don't have to do it straight away, you can take as much time as you want.

If you like, give your reasons as to why you would, or would not!

Would you approach and speak to that man?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as he wasn't busy with somebody else, I would totally go talk to him. If he's walking around in public, obviously he doesn't mind talking to a few crazy fans.

The best fan approach I remember was somebody that posted here many years ago, stating that they were sitting somewhere having a coffee and noticed that Williams was at a table opposite him and had to do a doubletake. Instead of approaching him, he continued by humming the theme from JFK and Williams looked up and smiled sweetly.

I think i've recalled that story accurately, maybe another veteran can confirm?

There was something years ago about someone sitting next to Williams in a cafe who then did a trumpet imitation of some Williams theme and got a smile from him or something like that. Actually, I think Williams said he should join them in the orchestra.

I'd talk to him, sure. I would try to keep it brief and not too "fannish", but I'd approach him and tell him how much I admired him and how much his music meant to me. After some small talk, maybe I'd ask what he had planned to do in the future and then wish him a pleasant day. All the while, I'm sure I'd hear my heart beating through my chest, but I'd look like I wasn't an obsessive fan.

Ted

I voted No but it would depend on the moment. I know last November I was flying to Vegas and I saw a recently retired NBA player eating at the same aiport resteraunt I was. I wanted to go up and shake his hand but so many other people approached him while he trying to eat so I left him alone.

Here is the scenario;

Let's say, you are walking by a park, on your way somewhere, and you see a Man, sitting on a bench, seemingly looking at the trees. When you look a little closer, you realize it is in fact him, it is that man, John Williams.

Would you approach him? Of course you don't have to do it straight away, you can take as much time as you want.

If you like, give your reasons as to why you would, or would not!

Would you approach and speak to that man?

Yes, I would go to him, and would ask him about those trees... since I'm a tree lover as well, maybe we could go from there...

And that could be the beginning of a wonderful friendship :P

I always look at trees, every time I can see out the window.

They calm me.

They do even more for me... they inspire me. Trees are life, and are magical beings, looking over me...

About a year ago, it a very turbulent period for me, I found peace on a wonderful, gorgeus romantic garden on the north of Portugal.

I stood there, in an empty esplanade for a hour or so, wayting for someone who didn't appeared, in a very cold late november afternoon, glacing at the naked acers and oaks...

I could swear I heard them sing to me!

A few months later, I drove north again, with a very close and dear friend of mine, and the thing he said when we entered that same public garden as remained in my mind since then: "your look just gained a new life". And I did felt that I was home again...

I met him backstage of two of his concerts in Boston, I write him a letter translated by a student from New England Conservatory, as my English is so poor , so i had a call for someone at Symphony Hall who pretended that he was to busy to met any one, but as JW saw my letter , she said " Maestro JW would like to meet you after the concert" I was so happy !!! He gave me a sign to keep patient because he salute the guy that have conduceted the BPO for the anthem, then he come to me and thanked me to have come to his concert and ask me if I am a Pariser , I said that I live in south France near the city of Festival ( Cannes ) and Monaco I composed a variation on one of his filmmusic he said " woaw , do have you seen the film ?" I said "no, just an exerpt at TV, and listening Your wonderfull theme, then I done a variation on it " ...That was my first meeting , the second one was less kind , the third ( in England ) 6 years later was just disappointing ,he recognize me ( ! ) and gave me a rather than cool hand shaking ( just the end of the fingers ) with a forced smile ...Contrario the meeting with Jerry Goldsmith was far better satisfying , one of my best friend ( a famous violinist ) wanted him to compose a piece for violin and orchestra , as I send to her some music from him , the first time he was busy with recording of the mummy, so we caldn't talk to much, but the experience was bad because of one of the staff of the LSO, who doesn't believe the fax of my friend , BUT I had the chance to meet Jerry Goldsmith again in Monaco, and can quietly explain what we have in mind , he was very happy and honord by what I wanted for him, but decline the offer because , he said, I have no time to do it ...now I realize the meaning of his words, he knew that he couldn't battle long with his sickness, but at least he was kind enough to talk and having a picture together, so I dedicated my first soundtrack to his memory, that the least I could done ...

The best fan approach I remember was somebody that posted here many years ago, stating that they were sitting somewhere having a coffee and noticed that Williams was at a table opposite him and had to do a doubletake. Instead of approaching him, he continued by humming the theme from JFK and Williams looked up and smiled sweetly.

I think i've recalled that story accurately, maybe another veteran can confirm?

That is absolutely brilliant. I would definitely do that if I ever saw him, but maybe The Patriot Theme or Schindler's Theme.