Who's the most famous person you have met?

Josh500

Brian Tyler is one of the worst composers ever. Who the hell actually thinks he's going to be the next John Williams.

I think.

Nick Glennie Smith has nothing to do with Brian Tyler.

• 10 years later...

10 and a half year bump.

Never actually met the guy, but when I used to live in NY, Harrison Ford owned a home down the street from me. Half a mile away from my place, an Italian restaurant that he occasionally frequented had a portrait of him in the dining room.

Living in Munich, I met half of Bayern Munich's squad when going out at night. Met Oliver Kahn with his girlfriend on the street back in 2010, had a few broken words of French with Frank Ribéry when I met him outside a club with my girlfriend, ran into Philipp Lahm in the park once, and also had a few words with Uli Hoeneß a few days before the Champions League final in Munich 2012, when he was on his way to Schuhbeck's restaurant, happy as a clam.

My idol when I was a kid in the 70's. He had a huuuuuge success here in Quebec. Met him in 1995 one year before he dies from Cancer. I talk to him in "person" before the show, and after, with his costume and makeup.

Jacques Desrosiers/Patof

image.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I just got told I was a horrible person, a jerk and a gaslighting liar by Ysabella Brave, if anyone remembers her.

Ouch. What was the context? Was this over the Internet or in person?

To answer the thread's topic, John Corigliano, Wayne Shorter, and Renee Fleming (holy crap was that last one awkward).

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Renee Fleming (holy crap was that last one awkward).

Did you start loudly singing "O mio babbino caro" at her in an extremely exaggerated falsetto?  That's what I'd do.

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Ouch. What was the context? Was this over the Internet or in person?

Over the internet.

I'd been friends with her on Facebook for almost a decade after being a mild fan of her YouTube channel (nice ASMR stuff), and for the last few weeks she's been posting a lot of status updates indicating that she's in a great deal of distress, even hinting at mortal danger. Naturally I PM'd her to find out what was going on. Conversation started out alright, bit it soon deteriorated as she ranted about being sexually abused by her mother as a child, her father's continually tortured her, she has PTSD from witnessing the government murdering children when she was a child, she's starving to death in her apartment, and she's paranoid someone's trying to kill her.

After I told her she needed serious help, that's when her endless ranting became targeted towards me. As you might imagine, it was an endless, inane series of accusations, f-bombs and hysterics. Then she unfriended me (not blocked, curiously).

I've found she has a documented history of sniping at anyone who shows concern towards her because she hates being questioned. She fancies herself as a "prophet", suggesting significant delusions of grandeur.

Let's say it involved Tintin, an opera, and a too soft-spoken kid new to the city.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Did you start loudly singing "O mio babbino caro" at her in an extremely exaggerated falsetto?  That's what I'd do.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Over the internet.

I'd been friends with her on Facebook for almost a decade after being a mild fan of her YouTube channel (nice ASMR stuff), and for the last few weeks she's been posting a lot of status updates indicating that she's in a great deal of distress. Naturally I PM'd her to find out what was going on. Conversation started out alright, bit it soon deteriorated as she ranted about being sexually abused by her mother as a child, her father's continually tortured her, she has PTSD from witnessing the government murdering children when she was a child, she's starving to death in her apartment, and she's paranoid someone's trying to kill her.

After I told her she needed serious help, that's when her endless ranting became targeted towards me. As you might imagine, it was an endless, inane series of accusations, f-bombs and hysterics. Then she unfriended me (not blocked, curiously).

I've found she has a documented history of sniping at anyone who shows concern towards her because she hates being questioned. She fancies herself as a "prophet", suggesting significant delusions of grandeur.

Funky. Is she still really popular, or did her fame start to fade? If the former, very interesting that she'd display that kind of behavior so openly, especially in this newer time of celebrity scrutiny.

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Funky. Is she still really popular, or did her fame start to fade? If the former, very interesting that she'd display that kind of behavior so openly, especially in this newer time of celebrity scrutiny.

Her star faded fast in 2008-09 when she announnced she had fibromyalgia and nerve damage and she closed down her websites and stopped posting new videos. She kept a relatively lower profile in the early 2010s, begging for money from her fans to pay for her medical expenses. I presume she's been unemployed for the last decade. I thought she was getting better since last year as she was interacting with my FB quite a bit. If you bore witness to how she carries on these days, you'd realise she's very mentally ill and probably doesn't even know what she's saying.

And the tragedy is no-one can really help her. Most of her other Facebook friends seem like useless sycophants, and those who try to lend a hand get shut out. If what she says is even half true, it's possible she might not even see past age 40 (she's now 38), but I'd like her to prove me wrong.

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

Depends on how you define "famous" and "met."  Wait, is this a Josh500 thread?  Fuck it.

13 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh snap, I didn't realize that! I didn't see the word "Rank", or a poll option.

Tricksy!  It wasn't "Top 5 Famous People You've Met" so I didn't even look for it!

I have been best friend since we' were a kid, with a guy who became around ten years ago, a Golden Globe Jury's Member and Organisator.

Last nice words we shared the last time we saw / speak each other (2011) was stuff like a*****, c***, j**, go f** ****** and some other very nice words in the french dictionnary.

I did the website of the official fan club of a famous Jazz singer and actress (Well not famous anymore) who had her "oprah" famous moment as she had 2 albums produced by producer david Foster.

After a (crazy) issue with her (crazy) paranoïd Fan club "owner", the guy stole all my work (It was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away), I wrote to her to report the issue and what's happened and got a very nice "Please accept my apology, my best wishes for you and your music, and a really big and sincere thank you for all your hard work! Much love,"

... lol... yeah, but what about the stolen work ? well ... ahah ... 

I've seen Danny Glover, Alfonso Cuarón, Emmanuel Lubezki, Jeffrey Wright, Rami Malek, and John Doman in person when I worked for the Tribeca Film Festival, but I actually met and talked with David Costabile, the actor who played Gale in Breaking Bad and who currently co-stars in Billions. Lovely, down-to-earth chap