Who's the most famous person you have met?

Josh500

I saw Kenny Baker at a signing event back in '08, it was I a small framing shop that sold film cell frames and posters. Recently I met a relatively famous Australian chef after doing some artwork for his restaurant.

speaking about it, i saw or met some of the most known  Jazz artist in the world including as well miles davis, which is limo almost killed me :D lol.

I met in private Toto's Guitar player, Steve Lukather to invite him to join me on a musical project.

I recorded and worked with some amazing musicians, including John JR Robinson (drummer of "Off the wall), Michael Landau (most "recorded" guitar player in the world), Gregg Bissonette, and many others.

A friend of mine (professional drummer) (don't know how to write this in english lol) shared the bathroom with Al di meola lol. (you know, to pee... )

The list of people i met is insane, mainly after a concert, from Michel Camilo, Chick Corea, Mike Stern, Bob Berg (RIP), Al Di meola, The whole Elektric band, the Yellow Jackets, who sung to me a great "happy birthday", shaked the hand of John McLaughin, Carlos Santana with Wayne Shorter etc .. !

1 hour ago, Martyprod said:

speaking about it, i saw or met some of the most known  Jazz artist in the world including as well miles davis, which is limo almost killed me :D lol.

I met in private Toto's Guitar player, Steve Lukather to invite him to join me on a musical project.

I recorded and worked with some amazing musicians, including John JR Robinson (drummer of "Off the wall), Michael Landau (most "recorded" guitar player in the world), Gregg Bissonette, and many others.

A friend of mine (professional drummer) (don't know how to write this in english lol) shared the bathroom with Al di meola lol. (you know, to pee... )

The list of people i met is insane, mainly after a concert, from Michel Camilo, Chick Corea, Mike Stern, Bob Berg (RIP), Al Di meola, The whole Elektric band, the Yellow Jackets, who sung to me a great "happy birthday", shaked the hand of John McLaughin, Carlos Santana with Wayne Shorter etc .. !

Elektric Band, or Elektric Band II (I like both)?  I've also got a soft-spot for Al Di Meola's ORANGE AND BLUE.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Elektric Band, or Elektric Band II (I like both)?  I've also got a soft-spot for Al Di Meola's ORANGE AND BLUE.

Both ! Saw Elektric band II in 1994, shaked the hand of Alain caron while leaving the hall (ahah),.

I met the band a firs time in 1988 during the light years tour for a short autograph session but the real meeting was in 1992 for the beneath the mask tour (Jimmy earl on this tour, patitucci left to join Wayne Shorter band).

this night  the concert's production run out of limo and cars for the Band Member's, and they asked  one of my family member, who was part of the production team and was friend /  musician of jean luc ponty in the 60's, to "grab" chick and his wife at the hotel in his personnal  car to bring them for the concert  lol (it was a renault 5 ! imagine Chick and Gale in a French sh*t Renault five lol :D).

i was a kid (17), we talked a bit about his future projects which at this time was still an idea or not finishedd, his piano concerto and his future piano solo album (expressions).

talked a lot about mozart too, as my family's member is a classical musician who was giving conference about Mozart.

then, met Gambale, earl, Weckl, and few months later during the Akoustic band +one tour, had an amazing chat with gary novak, patitucci, Bob Berg and chick again.

I talked with chick a third time when he did the Chick Corea and Friends tour, with eddie gomez, steve gadd and bob berg.

20 years later, i would have never imagined that i would record some tunes with Weckl and Marienthal lol ;).

if you want, i can send you the autographs and some pictures in private.

Previous silly posts of mine aside, I have been to an annual horror convention a couple times and have met Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Lance Henricksen, Frank Henenlotter (of Basket Case/Frankenhooker fame) and Lance Guest (of Jaws: The Revenge fame).

The line to meet Robert Englund was, of course, obscenely long, but my aunt insisted we stand in line. I had no desire to meet the man, simply as I was satisfied merely seeing him in the flesh and felt no need to try and engage in conversation, especially since autographs were expensive and he seemed mentally exhausted. I couldn't think of anything else to say when I met him, so I found myself asking out 976-Evil, much to his understandable but nonetheless amusing annoyance. To my delight though, he noticed my Ellen Ripley t-shirt and gleefully exclaimed "Oooh yeah, smokin' Sigourney Weaver!". 

I moreso wanted to meet Heather Langenkamp.

Not because I had a crush on her or anything. No. No, of course not. Don't be daft...

Uh, anyway, so my aunt and I met her and predictably, I was very bashful. Hated/Loved every second of it. She teasingly asked if my aunt was the horror fan who brought her adorable nephew along to the convention, and I insisted with a blushing face that it was the opposite way around. "Are you sure you're a horror fan? You seem a bit meek for someone who watches scary movies!" she teased with a coy expression. We took a picture together, she gave me a hug, and my face was intensely red for what felt like hours. Not that I think she's beautiful or anything of that sort. Shut up. SHUT UP. 

In the line for Lance Henricksen, we asked the lady at the desk how much he was charging for autographs (I was going to have my Aliens soundtrack signed), and she responded that he refuses to charge for autographs, reassuring he doesn't need the money. It turned out he was even friendlier than usual compared to the other celebrities, really hitting it off with my aunt who told him "You were so handsome in Piranha II: The Spawning!". He burst out laughing, questioning why on earth she or anyone else in this world bothers to remember that movie. I didn't say much, just enjoying watching the twosome, though I did mention on the side that my favorite role of his has always been Pumpkinhead, a prime example of a great actor turning a fine movie into a great one. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

John Patitucci? Dave Weckl? Steve Gadd? Now you're talking?

Have you heard the new Corea/Gadd album? Any love for Vinny Coliauta?

Ps, Oi! my car's a Renault, and I like it!

if you visit my website on the homepage, you'll find a tune i did with Weckl, Will Lee and Eric Marienthal.

I contacted patitucci too to have him as a guest on my Jazz album, but healt and time schedule made the fact it didn't happened :(.

I saw Vinnie Twice, he's (of course) one of my favorite drummer ! saw him in 1993 on the Sketchbook patitucci Tour (with steve tavaglione and john beasley, i took a lot of pictures of this concert), and i met vinnie backstage. the meeting is pretty hilarious... i'm certainly one of the very few fan on earth to have backstage a picture of vinnie who looks very very p*** lol. My flash didn't started, so i had to took the picture without it, if not, he would have maybe throw his sticks on me lol.

The guy is not very "social" but he's a genious and one of the best ;);)

I had to wait 2 hours because he didn't want to meet any fans, so after 1 hour everybody left, and i'm the one who waited the most... talking with patitucci about the pre-amp he was using on stage, etc to spend time lol etc..

I hired Michael landau to record on some tunes of mine in 2009, and i wanted to hire vinnie, so i asked him if he could help me to join vinnie and ... (and i can't write this publically lol)..

i saw him a second time the same year, on the same tour but this time in my town (Nice, French Riviera), but with bob malach on sax.

I have the chick/gadd album but didn't listened to it, i'm suffering from an hearing illness and can't really listen to music anymore (to be short..).

chick is giving in few days a concert with the akoustic band reunion tour next to my town, but can't go there for the same reason :(. crying since few days about it :( lol...

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

"Are you sure you're a horror fan? You seem a bit meek for someone who watches scary movies!"

it was maybe related to your t-shirt ;) ? (Nice Cap ;) ) !! ;)  nice story and anecdote , thanks for the share !

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, wow. Did you meet him at Birdland? What was the "weather report", when you met him (ok, I'll stop, now :lol:)?

As one of the most Elegant People who has had a deeply profound and personal impact on my life, I was very fortunate to have Herbie Hancock put a Mysterious Traveller like me on the backstage list on a Quartet performance at Chicago Symphony Center five years ago. There I saw The Elders like Ron Carter and other luminaries. After the show, I went backstage and briefly met Danilo Perez, Brian Blade, and John Pattitucci before heading into Mr. Shorter's dressing room, where we talked for about ten minutes. I had written a poem for him and the band, although I had to go before he could read it. He called me Man of Steel, and I left to run into his wife. I told her "Thank you so much!" and she hugged me, saying, "No, thank YOU!"

2 hours ago, Martyprod said:

if you visit my website on the homepage, you'll find a tune i did with Weckl, Will Lee and Eric Marienthal.

I contacted patitucci too to have him as a guest on my Jazz album, but healt and time schedule made the fact it didn't happened :(.

I saw Vinnie Twice, he's (of course) one of my favorite drummer ! saw him in 1993 on the Sketchbook patitucci Tour (with steve tavaglione and john beasley, i took a lot of pictures of this concert), and i met vinnie backstage. the meeting is pretty hilarious... i'm certainly one of the very few fan on earth to have backstage a picture of vinnie who looks very very p*** lol. My flash didn't started, so i had to took the picture without it, if not, he would have maybe throw his sticks on me lol.

The guy is not very "social" but he's a genious and one of the best ;);)

I had to wait 2 hours because he didn't want to meet any fans, so after 1 hour everybody left, and i'm the one who waited the most... talking with patitucci about the pre-amp he was using on stage, etc to spend time lol etc..

I hired Michael landau to record on some tunes of mine in 2009, and i wanted to hire vinnie, so i asked him if he could help me to join vinnie and ... (and i can't write this publically lol)..

i saw him a second time the same year, on the same tour but this time in my town (Nice, French Riviera), but with bob malach on sax.

I have the chick/gadd album but didn't listened to it, i'm suffering from an hearing illness and can't really listen to music anymore (to be short..).

chick is giving in few days a concert with the akoustic band reunion tour next to my town, but can't go there for the same reason :(. crying since few days about it :( lol...

it was maybe related to your t-shirt ;) ? (Nice Cap ;) ) !! ;)  nice story and anecdote , thanks for the share !

Excellent story, Martyrpod! I've had E-Mail correspondence with Chick Corea, but never met him in person. I'm sorry to read about your hearing loss. Thanks for all those great YouTube videos for years, I've watched them since high school!

38 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As one of the most Elegant People who has had a deeply profound and personal impact on my life, I was very fortunate to have Herbie Hancock put a Mysterious Traveller like me on the backstage list on a Quartet performance at Chicago Symphony Center five years ago. There I saw The Elders like Ron Carter and other luminaries. After the show, I went backstage and briefly met Danilo Perez, Brian Blade, and John Pattitucci before heading into Mr. Shorter's dressing room, where we talked for about ten minutes. I had written a poem for him and the band, although I had to go before he could read it. He called me Man of Steel, and I left to run into his wife. I told her "Thank you so much!" and she hugged me, saying, "No, thank YOU!"

Excellent story, Martyrpod! I've had E-Mail correspondence with Chick Corea, but never met him in person. I'm sorry to read about your hearing loss. Thanks for all those great YouTube videos for years, I've watched them since high school!

Wow, your story give me tears !!! what a beautiful present !! 

i have so many funny but sad anecdote to tell.(like the one on wayne's concert and the TWA).

one of the funny one is for my meeting with steve lukather, i offered to him a Led Zepplein Tshirt for his 2 years old daughter lol. (she's now 12 years old). (took 3 weeks to find it for a 2 years old girl ahaha.).

A sad souvenir is unfortunatly related to wayne shorter. I saw Wayne 3 times ! (I'm actually working on a cover of a tune that he played on, "Judy" by Michael landau's Tales from the bulge, his solo is so so beautiful ! ).

I saw him with Carlos santana, for the so "famous" tour that wayne did with Carlos. i think it was Sheila E on drums, and Patrice Rushen or Maybe Rachel Z on Keyboards, my memeroy is bad sorry i was very young. it's when i saw miles for the first time too.

then i saw wayne a second time with Mitchel forman on keys (i have been "Email" penpal friend with mitchel during 15 years, tom bretchlein on drums.) I have this on picture (but wayne is not on the stage at this moment).

the third time, the concert has been cancelled, because it's when the awful accident of the TWA happened... i'm sure you know how wayne has been impacted by it :(

in 1995/1996, i started to produce a jazz-rock album (still in production), and one of the tune, i called it "Wayne" at this time as a tribute and thanks to wayne. I changed the name of it since then, but the tune feature John J.R robinson, Michael Landau, Eric Marienthal on soprano (of course !) and Jimmy Johnson.

here is the picture of Vinnie, so tired so unable to throw his stick on me after 

"Can i take a picture of you Mr Colaiuta ?"

"Quickly".

"ok ok !!" (the flash refuse to work lol) i'm sorry hold..."

"QUICK !"

"ok (i let the flash turned off), here is thank you so much !"

Included here some picture and the "vinnie one", and one during the concert where he does his "Animal" imitation :D

very fun as well. i saw this tour in summer. I took the picture of John Beasley (keyboards) but i saw this tour a second time 3 or 4 months later, so i bring the picture i took of

John earlier, and asked him to sign it !

one of my biggest frustration is that i never had the chance to see herbie and Dave grusin in concert. (i saw his brother, don, with lee ritenour, gary novak, and ernie watts but not dave :( ).

Vinnie_No_Flash - small.jpg

john_beasley.jpg

john_bass.jpg

photos_208 - Small.jpg

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Have you heard the new Corea/Gadd album? Any love for Vinny Coliauta?

;) 

inside_out002 - Small.jpg

Autograph_john_patitucci - Small.jpg

Autograph_vinniecoliauta - Small.jpg

inside_out001.jpg

If it was the '88 tour you were at, @Martyprod, it was Patrice Rushen (Rachel Z started playing with him in the mid-ish '90s, around High Life). I love the Montreux concert that was released, it's my favorite performance of Elegant People!

(Complete with more John Williams love by Wayne ;))

They also did Sanctuary with such a whack-ass solo by Wayne, it's awesome.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were supposed to be at one of those cancelled concerts...I don't want to get too personal, but how Wayne processed Ana Maria's death was one of the big things that influenced me to become a Buddhist, which completely altered the trajectory of my life (which I got to tell him when I met him).

Sounds like you've lived a pretty jam-packed life so far!

34 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

If it was the '88 tour you were at, @Martyprod, it was Patrice Rushen

(...)

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were supposed to be at one of those cancelled concerts...I don't want to get too personal, but how Wayne processed Ana Maria's death was one of the big things that influenced me to become a Buddhist, which completely altered the trajectory of my life (which I got to tell him when I met him).

(...)

Sounds like you've lived a pretty jam-packed life so far!

Wow, sometimes the memory is weird !! yes, it was Patrice !! i saw rachel Z with steps head few years later (for the NYC tour, Michael brecker already left the band before) wow, first time i see a video of the wayne / santana tour !! thank you !! 

weird anecdote ! (lol). before the stage entrace of this concert, the roadies and other technicians was making the stage ready. it's a jazz festival, and bands were playing after each other on the stage, so in one afternoon, we were seeing 4 to 5 different band on the same stage.

and then, there is someone who come on the stage, and Light... some stick of encenses and it started to smell in the whole audience ! everybody was complaining about the "bad" smell lol. (it was outdoor).

Ana Maria's death :( ... 

I played the tune attached to her all my life, one of my favorite Jazz tune :(

My life is somthing pretty weird. it stopped 23 years ago during a jam (on Tutu), Hearing traumatism accident and ended my possible "musical carreer" at this moment.

I didn't see a concert since then.  i met the yellow jackets in 2008, steve lukather in 2009, but just saw the rehearsal and met them in private during the rehearsal, and then i had to leave because it was impossible to see the concert (ovensensitive hearing) (i don't tell this to make anybody cries lol )

but i'm pretty fortunate to have been able to see some historic musical moment with all these concerts before it's happened (1995/1996)!

here is a picture of the tour with mitchel forman and tomy bretchlein, unfortunatly , my family member who took the picture didn't took wayne on the picture, and I never could have the other pictures he took from the concert (he was/is a big a******).

Maybe it would be better to continue to talk in private ? i'm afraid we're killing the "topic" lol... ;) (i have hundred of pictures of all these moments).

Forman01_1988.jpg

Steps Ahead (no D).jpg

My famous folk are low end of the scale I suppose with one or two exceptions- Walter Koenig, Gene Wilder, George Lazenby, Eric Sykes, Ian McDiarmid (from afar sadly, in Waterstones the other week in London) -indeed, seen a few in passing but never said anything to -Richard E. Grant, Leslie Phillips and a bunch from the Beeb as my campus was on top of Broadcasting House virtually. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:42 PM, Nick Parker said:

Oh yeah, and I met Reggie Fils-Aime in December, when he came to our teams and thanked us for our work.

Awesome!

46 minutes ago, Strangways said:

My famous folk are low end of the scale I suppose with one or two exceptions- Walter Koenig, Gene Wilder, George Lazenby, Eric Sykes, Ian McDiarmid (from afar sadly, in Waterstones the other week in London) -indeed, seen a few in passing but never said anything to -Richard E. Grant, Leslie Phillips and a bunch from the Beeb as my campus was on top of Broadcasting House virtually. 

If just sharing a public space counts then mine is character actor Mike Starr, most well-known for his memorable role in Dumb & Dumber as the guy they kill with hot sauce.  I went through airport security with him.

11 hours ago, Martyprod said:

I sat at a table next to Ed Harris's in Neusiedl am See in Austria of all things, some ten years ago. Friends then ran into him again on the way to the loo. We weren't convinced it was him and asked the waiter, noticing he had paid by credit card. The waiter didn't know who Ed Harris was, but he fetched the receipt to let us check the signature: Edward Harris.

9 minutes ago, karelm said:

I go to yoga with the woman from Lost and Babylon 5. 

Melissa Gilbert?

9 minutes ago, karelm said:

And oh yeah, I was kissed by Charlize Theron. 😎

What's that story?

Met John Williams and Michael Giacchino.

shook Williams hand, still haven’t washed it to this day.

had a nice chat and picture with Giacchino.

Just now, El Jefe said:

Met John Williams and Michael Giacchino.

shook Williams hand, still haven’t washed it to this day.

had a nice chat and picture with Giacchino.

So after meeting Giacchino you showered as soon as you could?

I met James Doohan at a Star Trek convention once. He didn't seem all that excited to be there.

About 12 years ago I went to an International Horn Society convention. I didn't know it, but when I showed up I saw that Bruce Broughton was going to be there, because he was premiering a horn sonata.

I met him briefly, told him that his Homeward Bound theme was a big part of my childhood, he seemed intrigued to hear me mention that score instead of Silverado.

- Dream Theater guys (back in 2009 when Portnoy was still in the band)

- Symphony X guys

- David Arnold

- Trevor Jones

- Patrick Doyle

- Valery Gergiev

- Fazil Say

- David Maslanka

- Johan de Meij

- Michael Daugherty

- John Scofield

- Bob Mintzer

- Michael Abene

- Ernie Watts

- Eric Marienthal

On 7/2/2018 at 8:29 AM, Maglorfin said:

- Dream Theater guys (back in 2009 when Portnoy was still in the band)

- Symphony X guys

- David Arnold

- Trevor Jones

- Patrick Doyle

- Valery Gergiev

- Fazil Say

- David Maslanka

- Johan de Meij

- Michael Daugherty

- John Scofield

- Bob Mintzer

- Michael Abene

- Ernie Watts

- Eric Marienthal

How was meeting David Arnold?

10 hours ago, MrJosh said:

How was meeting David Arnold?

He's a great guy, relaxed and very friendly. I met him at the Barbican in London; before one of LSO's film music concerts which also featured his music, there was a pre-concert talk with him after which he was happy to sign some autographs. I've brought quite a few CD booklets and I remember him saying "Whoa, you've got a whole collection here" or something to that effect. :lol: He asked me my name and actually spontaneously personalized my Casino Royale booklet, writing: To Tine - I know your name! :rock2: