Who's the most famous person you have met?

Josh500

I went to a sci-fi convention last year. They had a ton of people.

I only cared to meet Mary McDonnell though...I absolutely LOVE her...

I saw Jamie Bamber too...damn he's hot...

They also had Margot Kidder there too... and that guy from Police Academy and Spaceballs who does all the funny sound effects with his mouth...

But yea... I only MET Mary McDonnell... charming woman. heh

4) As a clumbsy teenager in the late 80's, I accidentally backhanded David Crosby (of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) in the back of his head in the VIP section of a Bruce Springsteen concert. I stuttered a few words while he looked at me angrily. I guess that doesn't really count as meeting and interacting with someone, but I still consider it one of my claims to fame. I still feel pretty bad about it to this day. :)

3) Slash (of Guns N' Roses fame) - I actually strummed his guitar live in concert while he was playing a solo on speaker right beside me. Surprisingly, he didn't kick me in the head like I expected. He just kept on playing with a huge grin on his face. I'm sure he was wasted.

2) I've shaken hands and had brief interchanges with members from the band 311.

1) I shook hands and had a 5 minute conversation with Ray Manzarek, keyboardist for The Doors. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Eliza Dushku has been a friend of mine for several years. Met a bunch of celebrities through her.

as a big fan of Mrs Dushku, can you tell us more about her ? how is she in real life , etc ?? what kind of music does she listen to ??? are you still friend with her ? how have you meet her ?

thanks.

Eliza Dushku has been a friend of mine for several years. Met a bunch of celebrities through her.

as a big fan of Mrs Dushku, can you tell us more about her ? how is she in real life , etc ?? what kind of music does she listen to ??? are you still friend with her ? how have you meet her ?

thanks.

I find her to be a very sweet and down-to-earth person, friendly and kind. But then again, that stands to reason because if she weren't, I wouldn't be friends with her, would I? :-)

It's hard to keep track of what she's listening to at any given moment. I don't see her regularly (we live on separate coasts) but she likes many genres of music. Some classical, some jazz, classic rock and pop tunes. She of course likes Simple Plan and Nickelback, since she appeared in videos for both groups. Last time I saw her, she had a CD by a group called Darling Violetta in her player.

As of today, John Mauceri. I attended a rehearsal of him conducting the stunning RSO Vienna (Schönberg, Korngold, Broughton, Goldsmith, Williams...), followed by a brilliant lecture he gave on how the categorisation between "serious" and "light" music (film and concert music in particular) is a lie - very well demonstrated by playing excerpts from late works by Schönberg (tonal and easy to listen to) and Gershwin (very atonal). Only exchanged two or three very quick words, but he seems to be a great guy. And a top of the line conductor of Golden Age music (and film music in general).

Follow up, I managed to get Mauceri's autograph after the concert. He signed my Between Two Worlds CD and commented that he very much enjoyed recording that album. :cool:

Also sat next to Brendan G. Carroll (president of the Korngold Society and author of the Korngold biography as well as plenty of liner notes) the other day, though without talking to him. Also sat close to several Korngold descendants (they're easy to spot - they look just like him).

• 2 weeks later...
Follow up, I managed to get Mauceri's autograph after the concert. He signed my Between Two Worlds CD and commented that he very much enjoyed recording that album. :P

Also sat next to Brendan G. Carroll (president of the Korngold Society and author of the Korngold biography as well as plenty of liner notes) the other day, though without talking to him. Also sat close to several Korngold descendants (they're easy to spot - they look just like him).

That is very nice indeed, pity you didn't get to speak to Carroll.

This weekend I have recorded a Christmas concert with Dionne Warwick for Dutch television (as violin player in the orchestra). Talked a few minutes with her between the recording sessions, and spoke a few words with her about her collaboration with Williams.

I've met many famous people throughout the years. My most thrilling encounters if I had to pick three right off the bat would have to be Steven Spielberg, John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. :P

Wow! You are in the business?

Yes I have, and I must say his AVP-R score has really done the Alien, Aliens and Predator scores justice. I shall be seeing the actual film itself next week. :P

Tyler's score is definitely better then the last two Alien scores. It's miles better then Harald Kloser's mediocre effort for AVP.

Brian assured me that he had put a bunch of Goldsmith references in the score from Alien, and low and behold the man actually speaks the truth. It's easily my third favourite Alien related score. You have a little bit of everything in there. Motifs from Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Predator. It's all really LOUD and practically wall to wall action. You should have seen the smile on my face. That is something that was painfully missing from the previous film. To be perfectly honest, I didn't really like anything about AVP. Let's hope this follow-up is a big improvement. :D

Yes I have, and I must say his AVP-R score has really done the Alien, Aliens and Predator scores justice. I shall be seeing the actual film itself next week. :P

I am a big fan specifically of his Timeline score, which has all the versatility, skills and wit to make me believe he could be the next JW.

I am a big fan specifically of his Timeline score, which has all the versatility, skills and wit to make me believe he could be the next JW.

Ouch, don't go too far MSM. Tyler won't ever come close to either Williams' musical ability or huge success.

I didn't mind his Timeline score, but Goldsmith's score was leaps and bounds the superior effort.

Quite frankly... I shouldn't even be comparing the two, because Tyler hasn't ever (and I doubt will ever) write a score that is even superior to Goldsmith's worst efforts.

Ouch, don't go too far MSM. He's talented... but not "that" talented. :D

Could you do me a favor? Watch Timeline again and tell me afterwards how you think of Tyler! It may be a cheesy movie but the score is exceptional. Even better than David Arnold's Independence Day was in those days. Btw, the next JW of course can never be as good as JW himself :D I however mean like he could be an essential film composer in the next decades.

He would need to align himself with the most popular films of the next 10 to 15 years to even have a shot.

Williams legacy lies not just with his musical talent, but also with his knack of scoring films that become cultural phenomenons rather then just blockbusters.

He would need to align himself with the most popular films of the next 10 to 15 years to even have a shot.

Williams legacy lies not just with his musical talent, but also with his knack of scoring films that become cultural phenomenons rather then just blockbusters.

Agreed.

Ouch, don't go too far MSM. He is talented, no question about it... but not "that" talented.

I did like his Timeline score, but I think Goldsmith's score was the superior effort. It was the much better score of the two. :P

Sorry, but if Goldsmith's score were really better, if would've ended up in the final product. It's called survival of the fittest.

Sorry, but if Goldsmith's score were really better, if would've ended up in the final product. It's called survival of the fittest.

If you even remotely realized just how uneducated that remark was I'd actually bother to explain to you why, I'm not going to however. I'm sure somebody else will though. :P

Hurray, Alan hast cometh amongst us.

While your Darwinian sentiment is admirable, in this case, it is misplaced.

Goldsmith's Timeline score was not rejected, rather Goldsmith rejected Timeline.

Goldsmithfanatic, you have much to learn still....

Allow me, Steef.

Goldsmithfan,

There's an unwritten rule in this forum. We don't call Alan (Hlao-Roo) uneducated. If you disagree, just assume he was being sarcastic and admire his insight.

Goldsmithfanatic, you have much to learn still....

Another "Joey" I take it? :P

Goldsmithfan,

There's an unwritten rule in this forum. We don't call Alan (Hlao-Roo) uneducated. If you disagree, just assume he was being sarcastic and admire his insight.

You got it dude! :D

Thomas speaks the truth.

Alans role is to post one comment every few months, which goes above the heads of 99% of people here, because of it's sarcastic brilliance, and them move along.

Incidentally, I am the most famous person that Thomas (Elmo Lewis) has met.

Then he hasn't met many persons, has he?

If you even remotely realized just how uneducated that remark was I'd actually bother to explain to you why, I'm not going to however. I'm sure somebody else will though. :P

I'm should be ashamed but I haven't heard Goldsmith's effort. So I cannot judge which score is the better.

Please read my post in page one of this thread.

I don't see how that contradicts Steef's claim anyway.

You do not need to have heard it, i never heard the Tyler scores, but i know the goldsmith one is superiour.

Now we can safely state that is one uneducated remark, can't we?

Please read my post in page one of this thread.

I don't see how that contradicts Steef's claim anyway.

I don't know how you define famous.

If you listen to TESB, and not listen to Alien Ressurection. One could still reasonably expect that TESB is a better score.

Have you ever heard any note written by Tyler?