Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

I'm using my games console, a PS4. I did actually spend some time looking for a way of downmixing the audio but alas other than the automatic 2.1 processing my amp provides it was still not a practical solution. The Master and Commander mix is just very very loud, and very very quiet.

Bullit was a quite good film, although i expected more based on its reputation.

haven't seen the Getaway but I've seen its remake with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.

How do they compare?

Bullit was a quite good film, although i expected more based on its reputation.

haven't seen the Getaway but I've seen its remake with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.

How do they compare?

I haven't bothered with the remake, but Peckinpah's version is excellent. Almost as good as BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, which I think is his best film. I highly recommend that and THE GETAWAY.

I scored those Blu-rays at FYE, which I never bothering shopping at because their prices are absolutely ridiculous. However, I was able to get BULLITT for $8.99 and THE GETAWAY for $5.99.

I haven't bothered with the remake, but Peckinpah's version is excellent. Almost as good as BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, which I think is his best film. I highly recommend that and THE GETAWAY.

Have you seen STRAW DOGS? I'd say THE GETAWAY although good is in many ways minor Peckinpah.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly can't remember what I thought of A.I. I saw it once when it first came out on Sky Movies around 2002-2003. I don't remember hating it. I want to get as many of Spielberg's films on Blu as I can. So far I only have E.T., JP and the Lost World.

Never seen Empire of the Sun or Jaws :o

I know, I know, I know! At least I'm trying to rectify it! It's one of those things I've always meant to watch but never gotten around to watching. So I'll be sorting that out within the next two weeks!

I've got the Indiana Jones films on DVD so I'm going to wait for awhile before I upgrade. Want to spend my limited funds on films I don't already have in any format!

I've got the Indiana Jones films on DVD so I'm going to wait for awhile before I upgrade. Want to spend my limited funds on films I don't already have in any format!

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I'm also reluctant a bit to buy films that i already own on DVD, and that's a pity because those are some of my favourite films!

But I'm going there little by little.

Indiana Jones was worth it!

(although I'm a bit skeptical still about the golden filter on Raiders. Anyway)

Picked up Empire of the Sun, A.I., Minority Report and Jaws for under €10 each. Happy out.

Ordered these on Saturday with free super saver delivery from Amazon and they arrived today. If I had paid standard shipping the earliest they'd have arrived is... today. Gotta love Amazon! :biglaugh:

It's probably a UK only price. 11.20 is more than I'd want to pay.

I found it to be sort of average. Some good scenes and cinematography

It's Allen Daviau, I remember him capturing the sweltering deep south really effectively.

After selling some DVDs, I used what I got to purchase the out-of-print THE THIRD MAN blu-ray by Criterion ($170!!!). This is one I've been wanting to grab for the longest time and it's truly a joy to watch it in HD, seeing post-WWII Vienna in gorgeous black and white photography (this may be my #1 favorite B&W shot flick). It's a bitch to buy an out of print Criterion title, but once I pop in that blu-ray I have no regrets.

After selling some DVDs, I used what I got to purchase the out-of-print THE THIRD MAN blu-ray by Criterion ($170!!!). This is one I've been wanting to grab for the longest time and it's truly a joy to watch it in HD, seeing post-WWII Vienna in gorgeous black and white photography (this may be my #1 favorite B&W shot flick). It's a bitch to buy an out of print Criterion title, but once I pop in that blu-ray I have no regrets.

Why is this OOP?

I thought Criterion Blurays aren't limited!

I'm not totally sure why, but I do remember the news of it going out of print very shortly after Criterion released it on blu because Studio Canal wanted to put out their own release. From what I've read, they used DNR and it's missing special features and commentaries that the Criterion has, as well as the documentary "Shadowing The Third Man" that John Hurt narrated (I just watched that last night, a great doc aside from some pointless bits of projecting the film onto the actual locations).

Agreed. I found a copy a few years ago for $90. Never regretted it. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on their Last Year At Marienbad.

Why is this OOP?

I thought Criterion Blurays aren't limited!

They aren't limited, but their licenses to films do expire. Once that happens it reverts back to the original owner and they can no longer produce more copies.

And they had THE THIRD MAN for a very long time for LD and DVD. It's too bad it reverted back so suddenly, about only seven months after the blu-ray was released, so it was a very limited run.

Just bought from ebay this steelbook:

tron-original-steelbook-11.jpg

Had seen the film on year ago I think for the first time and LOVED it!

(much better than the Tron:Legacy but you already know that! ;) )

How original it was for its time!! Blew me away!

I imagine how I would feel about it if I had seen it as a kid...

Because of my daughter I've seen large parts of Mary Poppins a lot lately. It's an enchanting film. Let's Go Fly a Kite is one of the most joyous and lifting melodies I've ever heard. For me, Poppins is in a different league to Broomsticks.

• 2 weeks later...