Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Instant classic status can occur, but I would never have attributed such renown to the new Star Wars movies. That's not to say they won't achieve it in years to come, in the eyes of their generation of fans, but I doubt it.

I think "classic" is often a relative term and there's a difference between movies that make the AFI list VS movies that make the Sight & Sound list VS movies that win Oscars VS movies that break box office records VS movies that are rewatched by the general public VS movies that get theatrical revivals VS movies that get books written about them VS movies that get theme parks made from them VS movies that are regularly quoted/memed etc....

At a certain point, if you're remembered you're winning. Star Wars 7-9 are historic/notorious pop culture items and have a lot of Hollywood legend wrapped up in them by association. How long will it take for people to stfu about The Last Jedi? The prequels are apparently evergreen...

Anyone in the UK/ROI/Chanel Islands/Isle of Man want a free UltraViolet code for CE3K? I understand they're closing shop soon but it's redeemable somewhere else, like Vudu or Movies Anywhere which are not fucking available in that region because fuck the consumer.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen the ones in the middle either. It was a 5 Blu-rays for 25 Euro deal but only from a limited selection, of course. I took the ones that I'm unfamiliar with and that maybe have a chance of being good. Some of the others were movies like Hook, Life, ....Not interested in those.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's great, @Disco Stu, but...no WILD STRAWBERRIES? No PERSONA? No AUTUMN SONATA? No FANNY AND ALEXANDER?

Richard it has every movie he made.  Every single one.  39 films over 30 discs!  Plus a 250 page book of essays and information.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

$150 while 50% off, which is the only time you should ever buy Criterion!

Yeah I keep a wishlist of Criterion editions I want and wait for the half off sales.

With the Bergman box, 39 films for $150 isn't bad at all.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Down By Law

One of my favorite movies!  My favorite Jarmusch for sure.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I keep a wishlist of Criterion editions I want and wait for the half off sales.

With the Bergman box, 39 films for $150 isn't bad at all.

One of my favorite movies!  My favorite Jarmusch for sure.

best gif thumbs up GIF

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Too bad Criterion likes to do region locking.

That's why I brought back a Blu-ray player from NYC. But I still have to get some Criterion discs.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Good film, does it hold up to a second viewing?

It's been years ago, but during the second viewing I was even more impressed because of the way it was made (the direction of Alejandro Amenabar really draws you in). Watched the first scene of the Blu-ray and boy does it have a lot of noise or grain. I didn't recall that much noise/grain so I checked the DVD and, yes, it's there too. I guess I'm getting too used to digital film. On the other hand, it's probably less noticeable on smaller screens.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

You have purchased some DVDs and 3 Blu-rays.

Why eg. didn't you buy Cliffhanger Bluray, or Species Bluray etc.?

Are you going to sponsor me? Blu-rays cost five times the price of DVDs where I live. Also the DVDs with the isolated scores are not available on Blu-ray. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I dunno, I noticed that the superhero movies are Blu-ray, the rest is not.

As I said before, Blu-rays are very expensive where I live. DVDs are not. I only purchare stuff that has a strong visual component (like superhero stuff) on Blu-ray.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@JTWfan77, if you can, make the switch up to Blu, for both THE SEARCHERS, and EXCALIBUR. They look gorgeous, in hi-def.

I do have Excalibur on HD-DVD so that will do me fine. The Searchers is not one of the titles I bought, perhaps you meant The Cowboys?

39 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

As I said before, Blu-rays are very expensive where I live. DVDs are not.

I don't know where you live, but in my experience, many Blu-rays, a year after they have been released, are no longer more expensive than DVDs. You can buy them for 5, 6 and 8 Euro. Is this not the same for your country?

That being said, most of the DVDs you purchased are not available on Blu-ray in Belgium.