Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I only purchare stuff that has a strong visual component (like superhero stuff) on Blu-ray.

You bought a De Palma on DVD...

(But sadly, that one's still not available on Blu anyway)

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't know where you live, but in my experience, many Blu-rays, a year after they have been released, are no longer more expensive than DVDs. You can buy them for 5, 6 and 8 Euro. Is this not the same for your country?

That being said, most of the DVDs you purchased are not available on Blu-ray in Belgium.

Well for starters, only recent theatrical releases make it onto Blu-ray in my country - things like the major franchises, big budget spectacles and box offices hits. Don't expect anything arthouse or older than five years ago, unless it's a huge crowd-pleaser like E.T. - and even that is changing. 

So anything that does not fall in the categories I've listed has to be imported, meaning it's much more expensive. Our currency has plummeted over the last ten years and the cost of living is increasing by the month. 5, 6 and 8 Euros with postage is very expensive when converted.

Add to that the fact that Blu-ray never really took off here, at its height you'd be lucky to find a store or rental place stocking more than 50 to 120 titles max. Most people here are happy to rent the latest release on DVD or wait for it to show on satellite TV, or pirate it. Collectors are very thinly spread. There's hardly any secondary market.

First Worlders, you guys are very spoilt, enjoy it and spare a thought for those on the arse-end of the world.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well for starters, only recent theatrical releases make it onto Blu-ray in my country - things like the major franchises, big budget spectacles and box offices hits. Don't expect anything arthouse or older than five years ago, unless it's a huge crowd-pleaser like E.T. - and even that is changing. 

Exactly! And it's even worse for 4K releases. It's kinda depressing.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't Netflix more compressed?

It probably pales in comparison with a real 4K disc, but it's better than regular Blu-ray.

Today, at my local thrift shop, and for the exorbitant sum of 25p (!), I bought THE FRENCH LEFTENANT'S WOMAN...or is that THE FRENCH LOOTENANT'S WOMAN? Answers on.

Anyway, I'll be watching, it soon. It's a film I've always liked since first seeing it at the cinema, in 1981.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Speaking of The Duellists. I was able to track down a reasonably priced blu-ray  on eBay and miraculously won the bid with no competition. 

Well done, you, Koray, it's a damn good film. Does it have the ISO?

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps you watched The Duellists with a French woman?

I've never done anything, with a French woman.

Here's a question:

I've been watching bits and pieces, on this "interweb" thingy (it really is good, you should try it, sometime), about Blu vs. 4K Blu. That's all very well, but...without the supervision of either the director, or the cinematographer - or, preferably both -  how do we know which version is closest to what was originally intended?

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Here's a question:

I've been watching bits and pieces, on this "interweb" thingy (it really is good, you should try it, sometime), about Blu vs. 4K Blu. That's all very well, but...without the supervision of either the director, or the cinematographer - or, preferably both -  how do we know which version is closest to what was originally intended?

What has resolution got to do with the filmmakers' intentions?

On 12/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, filmmusic said:

What has resolution got to do with the filmmakers' intentions?

It's not purely about resolution, it's about people altering the filmmakers' intent with regard to the visual presentation of a film. For legacy films the HDR choices made by the colourist can change the asthetic quite dramatically from what the cinematographer / director originally intended. It's not as if they just flick the HDR switch to "on", especially with formats that allow frame by frame manipulation (Dolby Vision / HDR10+).

I purchased 6 movies on BLK Thursday in 4K. John Wick 1, 2, 3. Mission Impossible Fallout, Shazam, and American Assassin. I bought 1 blu, Crawl since there was no 4K release. 

There will be 3 films under the tree in 4K. The disappointment IT Chp. 2, Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, and Once upon a Time in Hollywood. 

2 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I purchased 6 movies on BLK Thursday in 4K. John Wick 1, 2, 3. Mission Impossible Fallout, Shazam, and American Assassin. I bought 1 blu, Crawl since there was no 4K release. 

There will be 3 films under the tree in 4K. The disappointment IT Chp. 2, Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, and Once upon a Time in Hollywood. 

No AI?

I used to like A.I., but I turned away from it, majorly, a few years, ago. It's just...artifice. I can't really say anymore.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's not purely about resolution, it's about people altering the filmmakers' intent with regard to the visual presentation of a film. For legacy films the HDR choices made by the colourist can change the asthetic quite dramatically from what the cinematographer / director originally intended. It's not as if they just flick the HDR switch to "on", especially with formats that allow frame by frame manipulation (Dolby Vision / HDR10+).

Finally!

Someone who understands the intent of my question. Thanks, dude.