Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't purchase that many movies on physical media any more.  I never watch any of the special features, and i can usually get a movie I want to watch started by just clicking around on the remote with all the streaming services available

I still buy things here or there. I don't fully trust streaming since things constantly come and go at whim, still waiting for more stability on that front. And I don't watch movies or TV consistently enough to always get my money's worth out of the subscriptions, anyway. I like having my real favorites on hand, I don't splurge on much else.

Thought of coming here since two of my best-of-the-decade faves came in today for my quarantine amusement :rock2:

IMG_3421[1].JPG

Case in point...the Hertzfeldt Blu also has the amazing World of Tomorrow which disappeared from Netflix recently. Plus his other shorts which I can usually find on YouTube but figured I was overdue to just pay the man already.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I don't fully trust streaming since things constantly come and go at whim, still waiting for more stability on that front. And I don't watch movies or TV consistently enough to always get my money's worth out of the subscriptions, anyway. I like having my real favorites on hand,

Same here, but add regional restrictions and crappy internet causing crappy inconsistent quality to the mix and I can't even be bothered to try to look into it all properly.

18 hours ago, Holko said:

Same here, but add regional restrictions and crappy internet causing crappy inconsistent quality to the mix and I can't even be bothered to try to look into it all properly.

Same here. I use Netflix for series, recently with a VPN (which also covers BBC's iPlayer, so I'm using that as well now), but for films, I don't want to bother with the availability (of content), stability (of the connection), and the quality difference in compression. Plus I'd have to buy a dedicated device to play Netflix on my projector setup, because all my Blu players seem incapable of outputting Netflix at 24p.

Plus our movie streaming selections are extremely limited where I live. We only have Netflix, Amazon Prime and a local offering, with hardly more than maybe 500 films between them and focussed mainly on 2000s output.

Not so much "purchased", but, in these days of lockdown, I've been lending, and borrowing quite a few, from/to friends, and work colleagues.

To this end, I've been rewatching the Harry Potter films. I find myself drawn to HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE, which is strange, because it is, by far, the H.P. film that I dislike the most. Ho, hum.

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Same here. I use Netflix for series, recently with a VPN (which also covers BBC's iPlayer, so I'm using that as well now), but for films, I don't want to bother with the availability (of content), stability (of the connection), and the quality difference in compression. Plus I'd have to buy a dedicated device to play Netflix on my projector setup, because all my Blu players seem incapable of outputting Netflix at 24p.

Oh, and add Disney+ censoring shit like we're back in daytime TV in the 80s to that. There go my hopes of that being the one worthwile one, I'm not financially supporting that.

Netflix offers no substitute for Blu-ray but their original content looks great. Better Call Saul, which is AMC, looks great as well.  

I have a Blu-Ray collection of 500 films and Amazon Prime. I don't know about their selection in other countries, but here they offer a range of old classics, lesser known arthouse films and so on.

Roger Moore's first five Bond movies (and the Jungle Book, 2016) on DVD, £25. surround sound sounds a bit fake, but also extremely dynamic. Can't wait to enjoy them in full once I have my speakers back. Also have a feeling I'll be listening to the Roger Moore commentary tracks one day.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've just bought THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. I'm planning to watch it, tonight. Should I be disappointed?

Why yes, it's a terrible film.  I would have rented it first instead of investing in a full purchase.  But then again I never buy films I haven't already seen first.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

You haven't watched it yet???:o

I was not able to go to the mainland, when it was released. There is a mobile cinema that showed the film in February, but I wasn't able to go, then, either, so this is my first chance.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why yes, it's a terrible film.  I would have rented it instead of investing in a full purchase.  But then again I never buy films I haven't already seen first.

I can't rent it, Jay. The only place that loans D.V.D.s is the island library, and that has been closed for six weeks.

I mean it's 2020, are that many businesses renting out physical media these days?  You can use the internet to rent movies Richard

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But then again I never buy films I haven't already seen first.

I do, when they are cheap, and when I think I might like 'm.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I was not able to go to the mainland, when it was released. There is a mobile cinema that showed the film in February, but I wasn't able to go, then, either, so this is my first chance.

I can't rent it, Jay. The only place that loans D.V.D.s is the island library, and that has been closed for six weeks.

Which island?

As for the film, I've been a Star Wars fan since '77 and I enjoyed TROS. It's not perfect, but then what is.

At least it doesn't have a character whose name is Don't Join.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Never noticed those.

Just little things like when Lecter puts on the Southern accent to tease Starling or his line about the man whose head she finds in the car ("Best thing for him, really. His therapy was going nowhere.")  that I think are darkly funny.  I've no idea what Richard thinks is unintentionally funny, though.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How is it funny?

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've no idea what Richard thinks is unintentionally funny, though.

It's not scary, it's not chilling, and it's not dark. I can't really explain it; I just think that it's hilarious. It's a hoot. It's genuinely funny.

I will say this, though; having worked with psychopaths, there's an awful lot about Lecter that's absolutely right, and that is scary.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Did you buy the Criterion edition?

I have absolutely no idea. Ordered the first used copy I could find, it has nothing but the movie and an English audio track in 5.1. All I need.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I have absolutely no idea. Ordered the first used copy I could find, it has nothing but the movie and an English audio track in 5.1. All I need.

Ah. The Criterion comes from a fresh new 4k scan.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11414&d2=11413&s1=112334&s2=112348&i=0&l=0

Anyway..

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Criterion releases DVDs, but picture quality is hardly your concern ;)

Nope, 448kbps and 6 channels is all I need. I did a few comparison tests between DVD and Blu-Ray audio and honestly can't tell the difference. I refuse to pay what I have to pay for Blu-Rays just to hear a motorbike go from left to right with 1% more subtlety and I grew up with PAL speed-up anyway.