Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

37 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

What's wrong with amazon.com?

Shipping costs and taxes. But if they stock them regularly, I suppose Amazon.com is an option if nothing closer to home comes up. Unless they refuse to ship these releases to me once I select my actual address - even though I'm logged in with my regular (international) Amazon account, Amazon.com always thinks I want to order stuff to Lebanon:

Screenshot_20220522_220133.png

• 2 months later...

I started a marathon of 12 movies I picked up from the AFI list.

They are now known as Bespin's twelve.

1. The Silence of the lambs (DVD)
  2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (BD, the original version)
  3. Amadeus (DVD)
  4. Vertigo (BD)
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (BD)
  6. Jaws (BD)
  7. Rear Window (BD)
  8. E.T. (BD)
  9. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (DVD)
  10. Psycho (BD)
  11. Star Wars (DVD, planing to rewatch the original version from the 2006 DVD, even if the image is small)
  12. Schindler's List (BD)

19 minutes ago, Jay said:
1 hour ago, Andy said:

I'm a 3D enthusiast

They DO exist!

I generally don't mind 3D if done reasonably well, and I like it for films where it makes a difference. Animated stuff obviously is able to use it well. I've also always been fond of the shot of the Star Destroyer hanging over the audience in The Force Awakens, even if that doesn't do much else with 3D that's relevant. For Gravity, the impact is so significant that I find the film loses most of what defines it in 2D.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I started a marathon of 12 movies I picked up from the AFI list.

They are now known as Bespin's twelve.

1. The Silence of the lambs (DVD)
  2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (BD, the original version)
  3. Amadeus (DVD)
  4. Vertigo (BD)
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (BD)
  6. Jaws (BD)
  7. Rear Window (BD)
  8. E.T. (BD)
  9. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (DVD)
  10. Psycho (BD)
  11. Star Wars (DVD, planing to rewatch the original version from the 2006 DVD, even if the image is small)
  12. Schindler's List (BD)

This list would be more interesting if you ranked them in order of preference. ;)

Yeah, I am crazy for 3D.  When I was a kid, there were lots of posters, comics, and kids magazines that had the red/blue anaglyph glasses.  Plus there were ViewMaster 3D reels.  Then the 80s 3D resurgence came.  I just always found it super fun.

There are wonderful people working at restoring golden and silver age 3D classics.  Bob Furmanek is like the Mike Matessino of 3D.  3D Blu Ray was really the first time it could be effectively enjoyed at home, without the red/blue glasses.  With a projector, it's phenomenal.

I'll put it this way, when I compare a 4K UHD to a standard Blu, I see a small uptick (if any) in the experience.  When I compare a 3D Blu to a standard 2D, the whole experience changes.

I already own the US 4K release of Cloak and Dagger (1984).  So I really don't need the Australian edition.   But how could I say no to a 3D poster, lobby cards,  and a pewter Jack Flack figure?  I love when small movies get big treatment.4617_CLOAKANDDAGGER_Packshot_Explodedcopy_800x.png

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else been selling movies more lately, than buying movies?

It's weird: I want to keep my entire physical collection of music, but look at my shelves of DVDs and Blu Rays I never watch and think: What's the point of having these?

Obviously there's a curated collection of movies that are really important to me I want to keep on physical media, but all the movies that I just saw once and thought was above decent, why do I still have all these?  If I ever want to see these movies again I can just stream them.  I dunno.

The convenience of streaming has definitely stopped my blu purchases. Boutique specialty 4K releases are the only thing I’ll buy these days. 

I haven’t sold anything I currently own, though there are films I would get rid of. 

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm afraid I lost the control 

Screenshot_20220828-115329_Chrome.jpg

You ordered Batman 66!  Bless you!  The colors pop on that one!

21 hours ago, Jay said:

It's weird: I want to keep my entire physical collection of music, but look at my shelves of DVDs and Blu Rays I never watch and think: What's the point of having these?

Obviously there's a curated collection of movies that are really important to me I want to keep on physical media, but all the movies that I just saw once and thought was above decent, why do I still have all these?  If I ever want to see these movies again I can just stream them.  I dunno.

Yeah, I am also frustrated that the Blu-Ray collection I built is now crumbling into obsolescence with every 4K reissue, and I just don't feel every movie in my collection needs that upgrade.

I would be selling more, but I'm not a tax guy, and don't want to pass the new $600 annual threshold for having to declare all of my sales on my income tax.  

I think about selling the DVDs I recently replaced by their BluRay equivalent.

I think I'll have to visit a physical second market store soon.  It's okay if I get only few cents by DVD, I'll not do it to make money, but to gain space (like Jay said, it's the main concern).

22 hours ago, Jay said:

No. Since I've hooked up my computer to the projector, I've been watching some of the "bigger" series on the big screen, and I'm only becoming even more aware of the lousy compression quality on Netflix & Co. Not that I've been buying a lot of films lately either, because German prices are stagnating and the production quality of German Blus has been on a steady decline for years, but imports have become more expensive at the same time (I've got a bunch of favourites that are available only in the US in my Amazon.com basket, but I haven't bit the shipping cost bullet yet).

I've got a huge stack of obsolete DVDs lying around somewhere that I'd like to sell, but so far whenever I've looked it seemed like more work than it's worth - partly because probably half of them are US releases, and local sellers don't seem to accept non-R2 releases.

I don't own any kind of streaming equipment, nor a Blu player.

I by all my DVDs second-hand, at my local thrift store, and there is, generally, a decent selection.

Recently, I have purchased such diverse films as LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, THE SEVENTH SEAL, BAMBI, a trio of MCU films, RUNAWAY JURY, A BRIDGE TOO FAR, and the complete 11 seasons of the UK SHAMELESS.

DVDs are cheap, there, selling at five for £1.

Thankfully, I have a pretty good 5.1 system, to play them all on.

A QQ for those who stream in 5.1.

Is the sound comparable to DVD/Blu?

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A QQ for those who stream in 5.1.

Is the sound comparable to DVD/Blu?

Why wouldn't it be? Sound takes up much less space than picture data, so I don't think the bit rate of the audio stream should drop so low as to make a significant difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, Truffaut and Tarantino (sort of) in one buy. Heheheheheh.

I remember there were once sync problems with L.A. Confidential  for the home theater releases. Not sure if it has been solved.

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

From Dusk Till Dawn is so much fun

I've seen it once, in the late 90s. Before seeing any of Tarantino's own films I believe. I'm quite curious about revisiting it.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Funny, Truffaut and Tarantino (sort of) in one buy. Heheheheheh.

Not intentional, but the Truffaut thread did remind me that I've long been thinking of seeing some of his films, and then this popped up on Amazon.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I remember there were once sync problems with L.A. Confidential  for the home theater releases. Not sure if it has been solved.

Uh-oh. I only briefly checked dvdcompare.net before getting this (as I usually do, because I don't trust German releases) and didn't see anything mentioned there, but any problems that are common to all releases might not show up there.

My last HOLY GRAIL gets a Blu.Ray release in a little over a week. When Worlds Collide. I will double dip.