Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

On 10/09/2022 at 7:08 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nowt wrong with my DVD. It even has the iso score, and in 5.1, no less.

Well, maybe it only affected the Belgium/Netherlands releases, but I've noticed that not everyone sees it when the sound of the dialog doesn't match the lips of the actors. It's something that drives me mad. In fact, it's the main reason why I'm glad that I wasn't born in Germany, Italy, France or Spain (the lands of dubbing).

Gattaca (DVD) had the same problems. Not sure if they have been fixed either.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Gattaca (DVD) had the same problems. Not sure if they have been fixed either.

I never noticed any issues with my Gattaca DVD (that was the Superbit release iirc) or Blu-ray.

I just bought Das Boot on superbit. I'm actually going the other way and replacing blurays with DVDs. Becoming aware of color issues on remastered blu-ray's is maybe the worst thing I could have done.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I'm actually going the other way and replacing blurays with DVDs. Becoming aware of color issues on remastered blu-rays is maybe the worst thing I could have done.

Agreed. It seems that DVDs contain the picture-quality which is nearest to what was seen at the cinema.

Ridley Scott said that Blade Runner was never properly color graded and that only The Final Cut looks like he originally wanted the movie to look, which to be honest, is kinda of Matrix-esque. Why do I feel Scott is pulling a Lucas here?

maxresdefault.jpg

Even the DVDs (there are two of them, the very early DVD and the second DVD that came much later) look different. Then there are the Theatrical Cuts which probably look different again. Ah, well ...

Just ordered yesterday these UHDs!

ordered.png

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Ridley Scott said that Blade Runner was never properly color graded and that only The Final Cut looks like he originally wanted the movie to look, which to be honest, is kinda of Matrix-esque.

I hate teal. I prefer the earlier version.

None of Scott’s other directors cuts look bad from what I remember. Considering the tumultuous effort to make  that film, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was timed wrong.

I don’t mind teal if that’s what the director wanted originally (like Batman ‘89) but I do dislike it if it’s been applied after the fact in an effort to make a film more “modern.” 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Ridley Scott said that Blade Runner was never properly color graded and that only The Final Cut looks like he originally wanted the movie to look...

They spent a whole year in post, with that film, and had one of the greatest cinematographers working on it, and they couldn't get it to look the way they wanted?!

I say: "Bollocks!".

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

They spent a whole year in post with that film ... and they couldn't get it to look the way they wanted?!

I don't think that's true, Richard. Remember, color grading is the very last step in the process of moviemaking. The film went over budget and the release date was almost upon them. At the very last moment a new ending had to be filmed and a voiceover needed to be recorded so I believe there was really no more time to do a proper color frading. Does that mean Scott had this modern green tint in mind for Blade Runner in 1982, just like almost every sci-fi film looks today? He would have been the first.

To be fair, some of it looks green, some of it looks blue. It all depends on the scene.

• 4 weeks later...

I've ordered Arsenic and Old Lace as well.  Criterion has begun dipping their toe in the waters of releasing UHD blu-rays, but I'm a bit frustrated by their reluctance to go all-in (it's still only select new releases that get a UHD)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Good thing I bought a region A player in NYC. Now I'll just have to find a (relatively) cheap way to import Criterion stuff…

I just buy them from Amazon.

Anyway, my latest 4K purchase.

The German mediabook is OOP and I paid 61 euros for it!!

71NN49tFP-L._SL1200_.jpg

I know there's another cheap release coming (from USA/UK), but it doesn't include the original stereo audio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't purchased a DVD since I can't remember when....

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Technically speaking, HD and UHD blu-rays are still DVDs.  They are digital video files.... on a disc :P 

Yes! Yes! To Disco Stu, you listen!

Truth to tell, @filmmusic, I'm trying to buy ethically, which usually means secondhand. Of course, I could buy new Blu Rays until I'm green in the face, but I buy from the thrift store because I want to help keep business local, and not shop online. Where I live needs all the local custom that it can get.

I really don't mind if 

my viewing experience isn't in HD, Ultra 4K, 1080p, and Dolby fucking Atmos.

I have a decent 5.1 home cinema, given to me - yes, given to me! - by a very kind family. Let them buy an A/V system that costs an arm and a leg, if they want to; I'm happy with what I've got.

I'm not saying "don't buy new", or "don't buy Blu Rays". All I'm saying is that I've learnt the value of living with less. Since I moved here, four years ago, I have adjusted my expectations. I no longer want the sort of things that I took for granted, on the mainland. It's a "smaller" style of living, but it suits me, just fine.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Technically speaking, HD and UHD blu-rays are still DVDs.  They are digital video files.... on a disc :P 

By that logic, DVDs are still CDs - they're just as compact. ;) Of course officially, they're specific (and different) formats. 

I always buy the previous generation film media when the "next big thing" arrives or when a format fails:

Laserdiscs when DVDs were launched

DVDs when Blu-rays were launched

HD-DVDs when the format went defunct

Blu-rays now that everyone is clamouring for 4K Blu-ray

• 2 weeks later...

Love the Room with a view blu-ray.

I'm on the fence about buying The Silence of the lambs in case it comes in Europe in 4K (the 4K Kino has a wrong color space for the first reel and doesn't include the original stereo).

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Oh! I don't do any blind buys anymore and I'm surprised when people do it.

I love blind buys (when I'm reasonably confident that they've got a good chance of being worth it).

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A little harsh, there, Alex, don't you think?

SHAKESPEARE WALLAH, HEAT AND DUST, THE BOSTONIANS, and  MARUCE, are all fine films. Heck, I even like ROSELAND.

I'm sure they are all just fine (especially Maurice and A Room With A View) but Howards End and The Remains Of The Day are their absolute masterpieces. And if I had to pick one it's Howards End. Love their soundtracks as well.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

But you have seen Howards End and The Remains Of The Day, right?! 

Yes, that's why I blind bought this one. (Those two were blind buys as well, but less expensive ones than this US import)

A Room With a View is a very odd movie in its way.  There's an "off" feeling to the performances, so many line readings that are outside of what would be considered good or normal acting in a way that I'm not sure I can put my finger on.  Weird pauses or tones/reactions that don't seem to flow naturally from what preceded them.  But it somehow makes for a very entertaining and hilarious (in its way) movie.

I think of the way Rev. Mr. Beebe says to one of the Miss Allens, "Miss Allen, you have flowers in your hair" in a way that seems scandalized for no discernible reason and instead of laughing or something like you might expect, she suddenly stares off with this abruptly melancholy expression... and then it just cuts to a different scene.  Weird and very compelling to me.

This is the clip in question, although it stops before her reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, rough cut said:

Fantastic Voyage - I grew up watching this film! It was one of the few we had on VHS that I thought was “fun”. But it was scary. I was probably too young to watch it.

I have seen it once but I remember I liked the practical effects.

I haven't seen Innerspace though, which is a kind of "remake".

18 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't seen Innerspace though, which is a kind of "remake".

In as much as Star Wars is a remake of 2001. They both have space ships. Fantastic Voyage and Innerspace both have miniaturized submarines in a human body.

I LOVE Innerspace.

21 hours ago, rough cut said:

Fantastic Voyage - I grew up watching this film! It was one of the few we had on VHS that I thought was “fun”. But it was scary. I was probably too young to watch it.

It has an iso. score.

I like FANTASTIC VOYAGE, especially Raquel Welch's white, rubber wetsuit (:lovethis:),

but I love INNERSPACE.