Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my order of 8 blu-rays from Thunderbean, the studio behind restoring rare animated classics.

108796_large.jpg?t=1429841251161578_large.jpg?t=1470439075316874_large.jpg?t=1652805289296224_large.jpg?t=1627431748255529_large.jpg?t=1571703505272270_large.jpg?t=1600747620141657_large.jpg?t=1443718354205613_large.jpg?t=1526566751

Today is the birthday of Hayao Miyazaki, and I'm proud to own the complete* Ghibli collection on Blu-rays, in beautiful Japanese digipacks!

IMG_20230105_191527.jpg

*Well,. not so complete since I don't own Earwig and the Witch, which I can't stand the look of.

@filmmusicThe two movies inspired by Marcel Pagnol's novels are considered to be some of the best French movies ever made. I never saw them (I was too young when these movies came out), perhaps I should do now. Of course, if you don't understand french and you watch them with subtitles, you'll probably lost a bit of the poetry from the "language of Pagnol", the language and accent heard in the South of France.

The Fantomas... classic movies, well that's with Louis De Funes... He was a sort of French Jerry Lewis... Personnally, I never really enjoyed that kind of humor. As this is very clownesque, the humour is not in the text, but in the physical expressions, it should be okay to watch it with subtitles.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Do we have any French people here that know these? Just bought them from ebay because they're going OOP.

210176_large.jpg?t=1542987449 184131_large.jpg?t=1500536787

Oh wow! The one on the left are two of my favorite movies (La Gloire de mon Père and Le Chateau de ma Mère). They are about a writer remember his childhood in the Provence with his family. Very moving. I only have them on DVD. BTW, the scores are fantastic. 

28 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@filmmusicThe two movies inspired by Marcel Pagnol's novels are considered to be some of the best French movies ever made. I never saw them (I was too young when these movies came out), perhaps I should do now. Of course, if you don't understand french and you watch them with subtitles, you'll probably lost a bit of the poetry from the "language of Pagnol", the language and accent heard in the South of France.

The Fantomas... classic movies, well that's with Louis De Funes... He was a sort of French Jerry Lewis... Personnally, I never really enjoyed that kind of humor. As this is very clownesque, the humour is not in the text, but in the physical expressions, it should be okay to watch it with subtitles.

Of course I have seen all of them before I bought them. I rarely do blind buys nowadays. (I'm thinking of blindly buying Dragonslayer though, and Robin Hood: Prince of thieves. We'll see.)

I grew up with the Fantomas films, so they hold a bit of childhood nostalgia for me.

24 minutes ago, AC1 said:

BTW, the scores are fantastic. 

I don't remember the scores. I'll search for official releases.

edit: Ah, great! They're both at spotify and I'm just listening.

By the way, I'm not so happy with my purchase, because all movies in these 2 sets have been tealified for their restorations. :angry:

Whites are no whites anymore, and blues have taken a greener shade.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't remember the scores. I'll search for official releases.

I can't imagine the movies without their scores. I only have to hear one note and I'm transported to the Provence. 

la-gloire-de-mon-pere.jpg?fit=1250,864&s

So the movies have been restored? Hmm ...

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm thinking of blindly buying Dragonslayer though, and Robin Hood: Prince of thieves.

You haven’t seen Robin Hood? :o Not because it’s great or anything but you seem like such a film enthusiast and to have missed it seems a thing that wouldn’t happen by chance, I would guess, that it’s (up till now) choice. How come you’ve never seen it?

14 minutes ago, rough cut said:

You haven’t seen Robin Hood? :o Not because it’s great or anything but you seem like such a film enthusiast and to have missed it seems a thing that wouldn’t happen by chance, I would guess, that it’s (up till now) choice. How come you’ve never seen it?

I think I have seen parts of it if not all, over 20 years ago, and I don't remember anything. 

So, it literally would be a blind buy for me.

I want to buy it because it seems everyone is saying how great quality is the new Arrow 4K disc, and since it seems it's in a genre I like, I'd like to give it a shot.

Ok, I'll let you have that.

Is the extended version of ROBIN HOOD worth seeing?

DRAGONSLAYER speaks for itself. Great cinematography, a superb score, by Alex North, and the best dragon ever depicted.

"That's no claw! It's a tooth".

I have a huge soft spot for Prince Of Thieves ... Costner is a noble and heroic Robin (as it's a folk myth, I'm prepared to overlook the accent), the action is great, it's funny, and of course Alan Rickman is outstanding as the Sheriff of Nottingham. I even quite like the Bryan Adams track (actually, it makes me nostalgic for when the importance of a movie having a big hit song attached was still a thing). And any film that can persuade a genuine megastar to cameo as King Richard is doing something right, IMO.   

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Watch the film, but don't expect a serious adaptation. 

I don't, of course.

I expect a fun film like Disney's The Three Musketeers which has again a Kamen score and a hit song.

I hope it's something like that.

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It's exactly like that. Complete with a scenery chewing bad guy who is very happy to pick up a paycheck. I hate both of those movies. (The score to Robin Hood is amazing! And I love the song.)

If I know the story correctly Alan Rickman delivered a ridiculous ad lib to break up an otherwise tense day. When the director said "Perfect! We'll keep that!" (everything here being a paraphrase from a 30 year old memory) Rickman said to himself "I give up, but the money is good." I suppose the director was right because the ad lib is beloved.

46 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't, of course.

I expect a fun film like Disney's The Three Musketeers which has again a Kamen score and a hit song.

Yes, only better, both score and film.

This christmas, during some excursions, we visited the castle Burg Liechtenstein outside Vienna, Austria (And, yes, it’s connected to those Liechtensteins! :) Originally built during the 12th century, Burg Liechtenstein was the place of origin of the ruling family of the Principality of Liechtenstein. The family owned the castle from at least 1140 until the 13th century, and again from 1808 to the present.).

Anyway, I also learned that The Three Musketeers (1993) was shot there.

My own photo:

CDAD42D2-0A4A-4163-8604-DBEA3DE6AE5D.jpeg

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Anyway, I also learned that The Three Musketeers (1993) was shot there.

They also shot bits around the Hofburg in Vienna. I remember seeing some barriers when we went to the park with a school class (my school was about 10 minutes walking distance, so we sometimes had trips to the park when classes allowed or one of the regular teachers was sick).

19 hours ago, filmmusic said:

So, I took the plunge and ordered it! Hope I don't regret it!

322825_large.jpg?t=1661539376

It has many flaws to be sure, but it's still a much more entertaining film than 99.9% of the dreck being produced today.

• 2 weeks later...

I had somehow completely missed that the Outsiders got a UHD disc release in 2021.  The key feature here being that little box on the cover "Also includes the theatrical version."  The "complete novel" extended cut is completely offensive in its removal of Carmine Coppola's classic score and replacing it with a shitty generic rock score that sounds like library music (plus the added scenes do not make a better movie).  So glad to finally get an official theatrical edition in HD (it hadn't been released since DVD).

Ordered it as soon as I learned of its existence

image.png

On 10/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, Jay said:

I got the blu ray set of Secret of Kells / Song of the Sea / Wolfwalkers for Christmas

Amazon.com: Cartoon Saloon's Irish Folklore Trilogy [Blu-ray] : Honor  Kneafsey, Eva Whittaker, Sean Bean, Simon McBurney, Tommy Tiernan, Tomm  Moore, Ross Stewart, Will Collins: Movies & TV

Can't wait to watch the first two, and might just re-watch Wolfwalkers as well!

I’ve seen Song Of The Sea, but never knew there were other films like it. Is this a spiritual trilogy? Or are the films actually connected?

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, courtesy of my local thrift store, I purchased (for the absolute rip-off price of 20p!), the complete POLICE SQUAD!

My giddy aunt, this holds up so well. 41 years later, and it's still hilarious, and well and truly ahead of its time.

I'd forgotten that Alan ("Garfield, cover that head!") North was in this.

A pure delight.

Also, and for the same price, I bought a "best of" DVD of Dave Allen, who is, quite simply, the best stand-up (or, perhaps I should say, sit-down) comedian, who's ever lived. His observations about the human condition are beyond comedy, they are, almost, poetry.

An absolute comic genius.

On 14/02/2023 at 8:41 PM, filmmusic said:

Just purchased this because it's a limited edition and didn't want to miss out.

A great film! I don't need all those posters and pictures and stuff, but I wouldn't know if it will be released later in a simpler release.

The restoration seems outstanding! I love the grainy images!

81vDvZQdnWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

45 Euro? I think I'm gonna wait a bit ... 

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I think I'm gonna wait a bit ... 

It's a limited edition. I don't know if you'll find it later. Unless there is a regular edition down the road.

It's already out of stock at amazon.uk and you can purchase it only from third party sellers.

So I found this over at the Blu-ray forum.

Also, the rumor over there is that Superman The Movie isn’t a new transfer or remaster, and that’s why there isn’t a new stand alone release (as I speculated here).

Somebody took the time to make out what it says on the back:

4K UHD MAIN FEATURE** 2160p Ultra High Definition AUDIO: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut - Dolby Atmos-TrueHD: English.  ALL OTHER FILMS - Dolby Atmos-TrueHD: English, DTS-HD MA: English 5.1 (this could be 2.0), Dolby Digital: Francais & Español. SUBTITLES: English SDH, Francais & Español.

**4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision HDR playback requires Dolby Vision-capable blah blah blah…

Images of the US packaging:

Spoiler

12904C14-9E62-4533-BDC1-E1D0D890848E.png

1B3757B5-3BE8-4762-B34B-B6DC24271AAB.png

0E449F3F-33AA-4898-B199-C0BA707AD83A.png

22 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Also, the rumor over there is that Superman The Movie isn’t a new transfer or remaster, and that’s why there isn’t a new stand alone release

I have seen the previous 4K disc, and honestly I don't understand what's the problem with it.. :unsure:

Can you believe it.... I own a copy of Superman The Movie in 4K.

I just got very excited about the rumors that leaked earlier about a new transfer, and the box initially seemed to confirm it. Now, not so much.

I might actually cancel my pre-order of the box. I don't really feel the need to shelve out that kind of dough for steelbok casings - or even Superman III and IV... movies I know I'll watch once, if even that. (I’ve bought them on DVD before - and currently have the BD set standing on my shelf - even though they’ve never been any kind of “go to” movies for me.)

And honestly, the 4K stand alone issue of Superman II looks great next to Superman 4K!

Maybe that's all you need, really...

1-2.jpg

I’m with ya. But I’m not canceling until something is confirmed.  I thought the 4K of S:TM was atrocious, one of the examples of my general lack of enthusiasm for the 4K format.   It’s always Your Mileage May Vary with 4K. 

But a high profile movie such as Superman - if remastered - would have to be issued separately some time further down the line (even if it takes years), right?

WB couldn’t possibly let it sit “locked up” in a box set, it’d be too much money too pass up, not reaching those “single disc buyers”. Or what?

Edit: Minutes after posting this I actually cancelled my pre-order of the box. Please change the title of the thread to Recently non-purchased movies.