Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I would have bought this, but I hate it when they update visual effects and don't include original audio on top!

Wha'???!!! :o

The effects have been updated???!!! Why???!!! They're perfect, just as they are!!!

59 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'???!!! :o

The effects have been updated???!!! Why???!!! They're perfect, just as they are!!!

I could find no indication that this was the case!

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I could find no indication that this was the case!

One such instance is here.

Notice that the dragon doesn't look like a cutout figure anymore, and they added a reflection in the water too.

Small updates, sure, but it isn't the original thing as shown in the theaters.

vifocqx-png.179274

Also, I've read in a private site:

"some sound effects are changed and for worse".

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I would have bought this, but I hate it when they update visual effects

They did?

EDIT: oh, I see now. Oh well, removing matte lines I can handle.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know this movie, but looking at that screenshot I don't see why anyone would prefer the bottom image over the top image

Well, to me it's not a matter of preference but what it's original.

I want every movie to look like it was released in theaters with all its limitations of its era.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

One such instance is here.

Notice that the dragon doesn't look like a cutout figure anymore, and they added a reflection in the water too.

Small updates, sure, but it isn't the original thing as shown in the theaters.

vifocqx-png.179274

Wow. They exercised their Vermithrax Prerogative. 

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I would have bought this, but I hate it when they update visual effects and don't include original audio on top!

@filmmusic are you able to say where this information came from?  Not doubting you, just surprised it hasn’t hit the Bluray.com forums.  (I haven’t checked it myself yet)

What do you mean?  He literally uploaded a picture of the change above.

Are you suggested the picture was faked?

No, not at all. 

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I’m assuming filmmusic got the pic from somewhere else since he said he didn’t buy it. 

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Which makes me think he think the picture came from a private site as well. 

I’m just wondering if he’s able to share where the info came from since stuff like that is usually blowing up the bluray.com forums. 

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m just wondering if he’s able to share where the info came from since stuff like that is usually blowing up the bluray.com forums. 

The comparison of the 4K vs DVD, came from the bluray.com forum.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20969045&postcount=419

I took the 4K photo and compared it with the HD digital download.

As for the audio, I haven't compared it myself, but it would be only natural they changed it since the 4k includes a Dolby atmos audio and not the original 6 track audio from the 70mm prints.

But people who know better than me, trust me, said it is changed.

Maybe it is a matter of time until they discover this at bluray.com.

A bit of time passed until they realized the audio in the new Rocky 4k set is not the original too.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Debris?

You know, when bits of dirt, hairs, etc. get stuck between the different layers. Same things happens with optical printing.

@filmmusicnot sure what the zoinks emoji is about?

59 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

You know, when bits of dirt, hairs, etc. get stuck between the different layers. Same things happens with optical printing.

That's easily fixed with digital restoration. 

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Oh, I see. I prefer this debris than the complete degraining and recoloring of these animation classics.

I can't stand watching the Disney animation films from blu-rays, and I watch them either from DVDs (pre-"restoration"), or 35mm scans.

Here's an example of recoloring from Alice in Wonderland.

Left: 35mm, Right: blu-ray

full

7 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Wasn’t the word when Batman 4K was released, that the transfer was bad? I have it on BD and didn’t upgrade for that reason.

yeah, me too.

It has updated audio FX.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Here's an example of recoloring from Alice in Wonderland.

Left: 35mm, Right: blu-ray

full

Wow, that's some seriously revisionist colour timing. It's understandable that you find it objectionable, although I still can't bear the sight of unrestored films. I've always been intrigued by the possibility of user adjustments to video via curves to correct these kinds of things (see the FOTR: EE recoloring tweak that was posted around the time the the EEs were released on Blu-ray).

Has Dragonslayer been released digitally on iTunes?

53 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Wasn’t the word when Batman 4K was released, that the transfer was bad? I have it on BD and didn’t upgrade for that reason.

Yes, the complaint is that it trends towards teal.  I'm not hyper sensitive to it, but the sound effect replacement got people upset too.

It's odd that Dragonslayer doesn't mention the changes or preserve the original shots in some way.  The film is best remembered for its pioneering go motion animation and effects.  So for say future film scholars or enthusiasts who want to understand why, they will see an inaccurate representation.  It's the same old argument.  I like the change, and think it looks great.  The cave scene is so blown out and bright on the old version, so the 4K really looks appropriately shadowy.  It just would be nice to have the original shots preserved.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Why don't people get this? Are we really that weird for thinking this?

No we are not weird. We are the ones shouting out "But...he's naked!".

It's not weird to want a decent, and faithful transfer of a film.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It has updated audio FX.

The original sound of BATMAN was terrible, and Blu Ray hasn't improved it, one bit.

I'd love to hear the new mix.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Why don't people get this? Are we really that weird for thinking this?

And it's not like this idea of preserving original cuts is new.  We've been at this for decades now.  Almost everybody is happy when the choice is there.  For audio especially, there's no excuse, since it takes up relatively little disc space to add another track.

I am a BIG fan of George Romero, I was excited to finally pick up Martin in high definition.  Looks like a really juicy edition. Sadly an early 3 hour cut recently sold on eBay, and Second Sight tried to make a deal, but it is not included. 997CE611-9F63-4BAD-B650-3B5926A8AD79.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Der Pate" ROTFLMAO

That really is the German word for "godfather". I'm more surprised that they never gave Taxi Driver a German title, not even back in 1976 as far as I know.

Is that Zum really necessary for the "50. Jubiläum"? It feels so weird to me, is that just how you guys do it in general?

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

Is that Zum really necessary for the "50. Jubiläum"? It feels so weird to me, is that just how you guys do it in general?

Nah. Although I guess if you wanted to be perfectly correct, "50th Anniversary" would need an "Edition" at the end (which it usually has), or "Ausgabe" in German. In a way, "Zum" is a shorter, if somewhat highbrow, alternative. Not that brevity is usually a concern in these cases…

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That really is the German word for "godfather". I'm more surprised that they never gave Taxi Driver a German title, not even back in 1976 as far as I know.

They figured most Germans would understand the word 'Taxi'. 

On 11/04/2023 at 1:20 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Haven't seen Taxi Driver since the late 1990s - and I've never watched True Detective at all.

Saw this for the first time last year. Great score, but I gotta say, it didn't really do much for me. Nor have any of the other Scorsese films I've seen, except the Irishman.

Just bought the three disc set for Titanic. Yes, DVD, because what is life without whimsy. 

514B34H0X0L._SY445_.jpg

On 23/03/2023 at 4:22 AM, Gojira said:

Dragonslayer 4K :rock:

IMG_1866.jpeg

That cover is dope as hell

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Nice! I take it the Supes is the previous issue with the proper 6 channel audio?

I hope it is.

It's the UK release, which should have the proper audio, since there is no standalone release of the new blu-ray where they removed it.

Is it a used copy? If yes, and it’s from a couple of years ago, chances are good it’s still on there.

From what I understand, the audio track has also been removed from the standalone editions so the removal is not just limited to the newly released box set.

Jim Bowers @ Capedwonder breaks it down in this post here:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrHIAqRvSJC/?igshid=ZWQyN2ExYTkwZQ==