Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

I figured since there's a topic about your recently purchased soundtracks why not have one for movies too?

I recently bought all three Terminator films from Best Buy online using my Best Buy card. I will be getting them next week. I know I'm slow on getting them. There's a ton of films I still need to buy.

Ah, I like this one.

Most recent purchase is Star Trek V. Now I'm only missing III and IV (and I should replace my old Khan with the Collector's Edition.

It's still shrinkwrapped at the moment. Other shrinkwrapped DVDs (I make it a point to not unwrap DVDs before watching them) are Down by Law, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Moulin Rouge, plus four seasons of DS9.

The only ones of these I've never seen so far are Down by Law and the final DS9 season.

Poltergeist - Special Edition

from Academy Records for $10

I also saw Blade Runner: The Final Cut at the AMC Theater on 42nd street. Amazing experience to see a movie like that on the big screen compared to the crap that comes out these days.

I always wait until the dvd price drops, some months after release. And I almost never buy special editions, extended editions, director's cuts, 2-disc editions or collector's editions, but just the 1-disc widescreen versions.

I just bought Batman Returns and I, Robot. First one I already knew, second one I just watched. Liked it to some extend but I think The Sixth Day and Minority Report are better movies.

Amistad.

It took me several months to get it. i orgered it in a store. And asking for it several times later. They say they call wehn they receive it. MEH. I found it in the shelves the other day.

Same happened with Close encounters.

To their defense...it seems i always ask for recently OOP DVDs (that companies have still in stock but are not in print nad discatalogued on most sites)

Movies I loved that I wanted to own (and found on sale in NYC)/movies I love that I only had on VHS:

The Apartment

Dark City

Se7en

Stranger than Fiction

Thank You for Smoking

Ferris Bueler's Day Off

Office Space

Magnolia

Dr. Strangelove

Batman Begins

Shakespeare in Love

Miller's Crossing

Movie I didn't like the first time, but wanted to see again:

Punch Drunk Love

Chinatown (well, I liked it, but didn't fully get it)

Movies I've never seen before:

All About Eve

Shane

Streetcar Names Desire

I also saw Blade Runner: The Final Cut at the AMC Theater on 42nd street. Amazing experience to see a movie like that on the big screen compared to the crap that comes out these days.

It certainly is.

Recently purchased:

The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni)

Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu)

The Man Who Fell To Earth (Nicholas Roeg)

The Killing (Stanley Kubrick)

Les Choristes (Christophe Barratier)

Hable Con Ella (Pedro Almodovar)

Swimming Pool (François Ozon)

L'enfant (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)

I recently bought David Fincher's The Game and Indiana Jones Trilogy. Now, I'd already bought that last before, of course, but I lost it on a bet. Now I had to go and buy it again (for 25 Euros, which is a good deal, I think).

The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni)

Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu)

The Man Who Fell To Earth (Nicholas Roeg)

The Killing (Stanley Kubrick)

Les Choristes (Christophe Barratier)

Hable Con Ella (Pedro Almodovar)

Swimming Pool (François Ozon)

L'enfant (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)

Interesting selection. Have you seen the Dardenne or Ozon movies before?

Swimming Pool is a superb film - with yet another excellent Phillipe Rombi score and yes Morlock know what you mean re Punch Drunk Love - I adore P.T. Anderson but found this film very hard to get into, improves slightly with repeated viewing but doesn't touch the brilliance of Boogie Nights or Magnolia, even Hard Eight infact.

Man, I love Punch-Drunk Love. I think it's Anderson's best. Magnolia goes to the point where it's too emotionally overreaching for me. I never like it when a movie opens all emotional registers (Crash, Million Dollar Baby, ...).

Morlock, I haven't seen them before. I already watched L'enfant. Flawless film-making but somehow not very engaging. But still very good.

Man, I love Punch-Drunk Love. I think it's Anderson's best.

Really? The narrative, characters and direction doesn't come close to Boogie Nights & Magnolia and you are the first person I know of to rate Punch over these.

What is it that you particularly like about it so much?

Last DVD I bought was the Ice Age/ Ice Age 2 double pack for £7. I do like the movies, but most of the reason I bought them was because I worked on the first one with something called ambX that just came out from Philips.

Man, I love Punch-Drunk Love. I think it's Anderson's best. Magnolia goes to the point where it's too emotionally overreaching for me. I never like it when a movie opens all emotional registers (Crash, Million Dollar Baby, ...).

Magnolia is like Altman's Short Cuts, but less vague and natural (a minus), and more focused and cataclysmic (not necasserily a plus or a minus, but I liked it more). I don't know, Magnolia struck a nerve with me. It's a tight Altman movie, when Altman would concider that phrase an oxymoron. And I think the movie is still small enough at the end, that it is not in the same emotionaly-cloying class as Crash (which I liked for what it was trying to say), or Million Dollar Baby (which I didn't like).

Morlock, I haven't seen them before. I already watched L'enfant. Flawless film-making but somehow not very engaging. But still very good.

I think I had a similar reaction. I liked the dillema, and the way it was handled...but I think it might have worked better in written form. Swimming Pool I was not a big fan of.

I have over 400 DVD's so you can imagine that I'm constantly buying them.

I think the last ones I got were Planet Terror and Death Proof.

I'm looking to get the blu-ray versions of 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Close Encounters. Oh, and My Name Is Earl: Season 2.

Man, I love Punch-Drunk Love. I think it's Anderson's best.

Really? The narrative, characters and direction doesn't come close to Boogie Nights & Magnolia and you are the first person I know of to rate Punch over these.

What is it that you particularly like about it so much?

The main character, the fresh direction (he won best director in Cannes for it), the stylish and colorfull photography, the odd soundtrack, the strange and unexplained things like his fondness for the keyboard he found, the phone sex people, the fact that I never knew what was going to happen next. In short, I like everything about this movie.

Alex

Oh, I also got the Office season three a few weeks ago.

Does anybody know if JW speaks at all in the behind the scenes stuff on The Patriot DVD? I've rented it, but I'll probably take it back soon, so if anybody knows...

Superman doomsday, I'll watch it next weekend.

my next dvd purchase will be Order of the Phoenix, and Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection #2 with Leach Woman, Deadly Mantis, Cult of the Cobra and another film. I want Collection #1 but cant find it, it has the Monolith Monsters, so I need it to complete my B&W 50's horror movie collection.

Oh, I also got the Office season three a few weeks ago.

Does anybody know if JW speaks at all in the behind the scenes stuff on The Patriot DVD? I've rented it, but I'll probably take it back soon, so if anybody knows...

No Williams footage i'm afraid, he is mentioned in Emmerich's commentary though

Children of Men - Only seen this once, in the theatre, and found it unexpected and very well made.

28 Days Later - Always wanted to see this one.

Lord of War - Same here, after all, it's by Niccol, and Ian Holm is in it.

Just bought Gandhi (for 10 bucks!). My wife and I started watching it this morning. What a stunningly great film! One thing tht completely took me by surprise is how little the film has aged. It would look just as effective if it was released today.

You will enjoy it - Dennis Hopper is just completely out of his head which is entertaining and of course the Martin Sheen outbursts and angry phone calls from Coppola are just legendary!

I bought 3 HD-DVDs even though I don't have the hardware yet to play them with:

- Deliverance

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (lots of new featurettes)

- A Clockwork Orange (lots of new featurettes)

Damn! I need a big HD-ready screen ASAP!

41PdEU1aYqL._AA240_.jpg

Alex

Children of Men - Only seen this once, in the theatre, and found it unexpected and very well made.

28 Days Later - Always wanted to see this one.

Lord of War - Same here, after all, it's by Niccol, and Ian Holm is in it.

28 Days Later, I found to be better than the first. There was more "emotion" in this one, I feel.

I just got a HD DVD player, the one that hooks up to the Xbox 360, and since the purchase of that I have gotten:

Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)

Full Metal Jacket (Special Edition)

Hot Fuzz

King Kong (Came with it)

Shaun of the Dead

Shining, The (Special Edition)

and

Transformers

Stunning pictures on all of these, esp. if you have the 1080p capability! Yet one more reason why it will take A LOT for me to step into a theater again.

I bought 3 HD-DVDs even though I don't have the hardware yet to play them with:

- Deliverance

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (lots of new featurettes)

- A Clockwork Orange (lots of new featurettes)

Is Deliverance the new anniversary edition, if so there's some terrific documentaries etc on that and the film looks and sounds amazing with its new transfer! Da-Da-Ding-Da-Ding-Da-Ding has never sounded so good!

Damn! I need a big HD-ready screen ASAP!

Santa will have bother getting that down the chimney if that's what you have asked for! :(

Is Deliverance the new anniversary edition, if so there's some terrific documentaries etc on that and the film looks and sounds amazing with its new transfer! Da-Da-Ding-Da-Ding-Da-Ding has never sounded so good!

Yes! The HD is the Anniversay Edition.

Soooooo... what if Blu-Ray wins the war?

Then I buy a PS3 (me kid would love that) and keep my Toshiba player for the HD titles.

Alex, do you have any particular preference of HD over blu-ray?

I thought HD-DVD had more interesting titles.

28 Days Later, I found to be better than the first. There was more "emotion" in this one, I feel.

But it *is* the first... :)

I've heard good things about the first and always wanted to see it. The sequel had mostly negative reactions it seems.

I've seen both formats, and both certainly look impressing. But I'm not gonna commit to anything since it could swing either way, and in a few years time you are gonna get a better deal for your money anyway.

DVD's will do perfectly well for a little while longer.

I've seen both formats, and both certainly look impressing. But I'm not gonna commit to anything since it could swing either way, and in a few years time you are gonna get a better deal for your money anyway.

Been precisely my thinking all along.

In a few years we all might be living in the new ice age. Live now, not tomorrow!

Rubbish, this oil will keep us going for decades,

That's what I meant. As soon as Brazil starts pumping their oil it will become so cheap that the quest for alternatives will be over. We will never see clean energy, not in our lives anyway.

Who cares about the enviroment? Don't you know your Darwin? Only the fittest survive. The tasmanian butterfly became extinct because it didn't have wat it takes to survive.

BTW, you do know that big LCD and Plasma screens use a lot of power, right?

Would you go back to your 35 CM old-fasioned tv?

Rubbish, this oil will keep us going for decades,

That's what I meant. As soon as Brazil starts pumping their oil it will become so cheap that the quest for alternatives will be over. We will never see clean energy, not in our lives anyway.

I vote for nuclear power!