Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

really blu rays are just as cheap as dvd's for the most part,

Back when I still bought DVDs, I could get most of them for €5. With Blus, I'm still happy if I can get those I want for less than €10.

The last Dvd I bought was Village of the Dammed and Children of the Dammed combo. I don't expect it to be released on blu. I have bought a bunch of blus for around $5 bucks.

yes I gave you hell. I was wrong. but I do buy dvds when the film has little chance for an HD transfer.

I use bluray.com's price system to get some great deals. Of course patience is a virtue and a mass purchase can wait until Black Friday in November.

I gave everyone something to talk about! Right on!

I pay well under a tenner for my Blus normally. DVD is all but dead.

Yeah, but I can play DVDs in my laptop. It isn't BR compatible.

- Uni

One you go HD, you can't go back.

The two (SD and HD) happily coexist in my house.

BTW, regarding science fiction movies, doesn't HD make them old effects look more flawed? Optical effects (effects which are added later to the negative) and matte paintings become more obvious and less 'integrated' on Blu-ray than ever before, don't you agree?

Alex

Even the skeptics then buy them now.

Yes, because no alternative is offered, eg JAWS. Though i didn't bought any movie except that since 2009. It's all in the cloud now!

I waited out for Jaws till the price came down. Wasn't going to pay £18 for it after already getting the dvd years ago, which I just realised I still own.

What do you guys do with your duplicates?

What do you guys do with your duplicates?

I'm planning to sell them, somehow. Either on some site for a fixed price per item, or as a bundle on eBay. No point in selling individual DVDs on eBay anymore, it's not worth the hassle.

I either trade in the DVDs which I've bought on Blu or sell them to Amazon. You can really only get like .50-$5 for them, and a fiver is generous and typically for still popular special editions.

If it's not worth the hassle, I give them to friends.

One you go HD, you can't go back.

The two (SD and HD) happily coexist in my house.

BTW, regarding science fiction movies, doesn't HD make them old effects look more flawed? Optical effects (effects which are added later to the negative) and matte paintings become more obvious and less 'integrated' on Blu-ray than ever before, don't you agree?

Alex

not at all.

King Kong looks fantastic.

Dracula looks amazing, and the matte shots are beautifully represented on that film, Same with the Mummy(Karloffs the Mummy)

20 Million Miles to Earth looks pristine. Class of the Titans effects do Ray well on blu.

The matte shots in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom have never looked better. They look great on Raiders too.

I trade my DVD's in at Best Buy when I can, and I have given many away, but I'm keeping most of my old black and white films. I've upgraded most of the films I want to upgrade to blu.

I think they're referring not to the matte paintings (which would still look brilliant, of course), but to the garbage mattes—those jittering grey squares that follow ships around on the screen. It's particularly bad in Empire Strikes Back, for some reason. And Blu-Ray does bring them out more clearly.

And it's not just the visual effects, either. The physical effects that once remained invisible on the slightly fuzzy movie screen can now be seen in the kind of detail they were never meant to reveal. For instance, if you watch the aerial battles from Superman II in BR on a really good LED screen, you can see the miniature cars being pulled on conveyor belts below.

Just one of the consequences of hi-def quality.

- Uni

Uni, you could always see the minature cars in Superman 2, always. Spotted those in the theatre in 1980 or 81 whenever it was released.

I've seen bits of ESB in blu, don't remember the matte blocks, thought those were digitally removed.

Ugh. I remember paying $35 for the two-disc DVD over a decade ago. I want to double dip but the American price does not justify it, and I have enough to watch at the moment.

Ugh. I remember paying $35 for the two-disc DVD over a decade ago. I want to double dip but the American price does not justify it, and I have enough to watch at the moment.

I bought that edition as well. The BD is about as significant upgrade as you can get. The DVD was based on a 2K transfer that's over a decade old now; the BD is from a state of the art 8K transfer and newly restored. And it's gorgeous. There's a lot of stuff I won't bother to upgrade, but if you're a fan of this film it's a no-brainer.

Not exactly Blu Ray, but today I purchased Seasons 1 and 2 of Six Million Dollar Man and Season 1 and 2 of Bionic Woman on DVD (they don't have a Blu Ray version and probably never will)

Took 40 years to get an official release of these

At last I bought the indiana Jones films, and the Jurassic Park trilogy.

by the way, how do you feel about Jurassic park?

haven't seen it, but there are some concerns over at bluray.com about color alterations.

eg look at this (show spoiler):

http://jplegacy.org/board/showpost.php?p=780881&postcount=362

someone says that the most true to the theatrical presentation are the colors of the second of each screenshots.

I don't remember it like that, yellowish..

Do you?

Yeah you may well be right. I'm just going off the slightly negative user reviews I've noticed on Amazon and the four stars instead of five it got over on Blu-ray.com. But if a rerelease isn't forthcoming I'll probably end up buying this one cheap eventually anyway.

And besides, Blu-ray.com isn't always reliable in my experience.

I bought the trilogy for 10 pounds from amazon.co.uk (approx. 11,5 euros), so that seemed cheap enough! ;)

Although i would rather prefer if it didn't include the 3rd film.

and from what I've seen, negative reviews are from generally ignorant viewers who complain about grain and stuff and don't understand that grain is good!

the thing I'm only concerned in my 2 recent purchases, is the golden tint over Raiders..

I hope it's not very distracting. I didn't like the screenshots though in comparison with the original look of the film.

A lot of people here complain about the JP blu but I think it looks great. The new sound mix is worth it alone.

New? what do you mean? the 7.1 from 5.1?

or did they change any actual sounds too?

• 4 weeks later...

Schindler's List has great sound quality! The picture would've been just as good with me if it weren't for the extremely muddy shots of the girl with the red coat. I'm guessing it's a fault of the original print and not the transfer.

I've bought quite a few Blus over the past couple of months. Been picking up cheap ones that I've wanted for awhile.

You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger

Hannah And Her Sisters

The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus

Magic Mike

The Informant

Haywire

City Island

Moonrise Kingdom

Zodiac

And from Criterion's last sale:

On The Waterfront

Sansho The Bailiff

The Man Who Knew Too Much

• 2 weeks later...

Avengers, Les Miserables, and King Kong,

it was an Editing was not an option day on blu.